Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Plaid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The Tesla Model S ‘Plaid’ will do 0-60mph in under two seconds
    That is truly amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,684 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I drove the current performance model recently, does 0-60 in a bit over 2s after the new "Cheetah launch" software update. Very sweet. Makes my own car (3.9s) feel a tad slow :pac:

You only get that performance if you do a launch control though. So it is very much gimmicky and not that useful in every day life. I'd much prefer to have it on tap at any time

That said, if I'd win the lotto, I'd order a Plaid Model S for sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Doesn't it void the warranty if you keep launching it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Interslice wrote: »
    Doesn't it void the warranty if you keep launching it?

Nope.

Pkiernan wrote: »

Can’t wait until 2027.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Gumbo wrote: »
    Can’t wait until 2027.

I read it as 2021 :-(

I read it as 2021 :-(

Yes but it will be 2027 before I can afford one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Gumbo wrote: »
    Yes but it will be 2027 before I can afford one ;)

Ha!

I'll wait for the CyberPlaid

Ha!

I'll wait for the CyberPlaid

That can be ordered now. It’s the tri motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Sounds like it'll dethrone the Demon, the world's fastest production car (to 60 and quarter mile).

Wonder will there be a reply from GM. Is a reply even possible?

• Advertisement

Of course. The Roadster is likely to be quicker again. And I'm sure there will be others, not from Tesla too. They will all have one thing in common though. They will all be BEV

The internal combustion engine is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

With current road-legal tyre tech on a normal road (i.e. not prepped drag strip) it's not possible to accelerate much faster than 1G, which is about 0-60 in 2.7s. Those crazy Demon times are using drag radials on a drag strip with 1ft rollout excluded.

Fast ICE cars have been hitting sub-3 times for the last decade or so, and the reduced times have mostly been a function of improved traction control systems and more extreme tyre tech.

I'm not really sure what the point is of having more power than is required to do 0-speed limit at 1G in a road car, but I guess the drag strippers need that acceleration all the way to about 150mph to get good quarter mile times so the sky's the limit.

The difference between EVs and ICE is that in ICE having crazy peak power available is useful as it gives good power at low revs, whereas once you have enough power in an EV to spin the tyres at any legal speed, there's no advantage in having more.

Lumen wrote: »
    With current road-legal tyre tech on a normal road (i.e. not prepped drag strip) it's not possible to accelerate much faster than 1G, which is about 0-60 in 2.7s.

That's interesting. Any links? Current Model S Performance model in Cheetah launch control does 0-60 in about 2.2s. Surely you are not suggesting they are using illegal road tyres?

Good point about grip though. In my own EV I rarely would be able to match the best possible acceleration time of my car because I almost always have far from optimal grip. On a wet road I did a few fairly comical accelerations last night :D Let's just say that there might as well have been no traction control as it added nothing.

unkel wrote: »
    That's interesting. Any links? Current Model S Performance model in Cheetah launch control does 0-60 in about 2.2s. Surely you are not suggesting they are using illegal road tyres?

Who is "they"? And on what surface? And with or without 1ft rollout subtracted? And on what tyres?

I only checked one of the runs in this video but Brooks got 2.66 on the road with (presumably) road legal tyres, but the Dragy reports 2.42 excluding 1ft rollout.

https://youtu.be/Grlj7_itDX8

2.66 is only 0.08s off the 1G acceleration time of about 2.74s, or 3% less.

Maybe he knocked a few hundredths more off in one of the other runs, but it's well short of 2.2s.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

Amazing car. Period.

Took delivery of my new Model S LR about 2 weeks ago. I can tell you now that it's basically impossible to go faster than 0-100KM <4sec in most situations. Mental fast on long range model.

The range of the Plaid is the big selling point imo, but at 160K I'd likely go with Taycan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Lumen wrote: »
    With current road-legal tyre tech on a normal road (i.e. not prepped drag strip) it's not possible to accelerate much faster than 1G, which is about 0-60 in 2.7s. Those crazy Demon times are using drag radials on a drag strip with 1ft rollout excluded.

Fast ICE cars have been hitting sub-3 times for the last decade or so, and the reduced times have mostly been a function of improved traction control systems and more extreme tyre tech.

I'm not really sure what the point is of having more power than is required to do 0-speed limit at 1G in a road car, but I guess the drag strippers need that acceleration all the way to about 150mph to get good quarter mile times so the sky's the limit.

The difference between EVs and ICE is that in ICE having crazy peak power available is useful as it gives good power at low revs, whereas once you have enough power in an EV to spin the tyres at any legal speed, there's no advantage in having more.

Yes traction and power

Read before if you could solve the tire problem, it's possible to do 0-60 less than 1 second with street cars

General back of napkin formula for ICE without tyre, grip and all other factors etc is weight/power, 1kg/1bhp = 1sec 0-60

1300kg/100bhp = 13s
    1300kg/150bhp = 8.6s
    1300kg/200bhp = 6.5s
    1300kg/300bhp = 4.3s
    1300kg/500bhp = 2.6s

Its some bit accurate, EVs which are better suited for 0-60mph times are slightly better than that

An ID3 at 1720kg/204bhp = 8.4s, but gets 7.4s, but past 60mph it feels like a 8.4s car

An F1 car at 750kg/1000bhp, with the right tyres ( heated slicks sticking like glue to surface), launch control, gearing etc should in theory be able to do less than 1sec

A 2000kg Model S plaid is going to need over 1000bhp to get 2s and then you have tyre problem

Think it will be a disclaimer saying race tyres, roll out to do it

Maybe heated tyres covers will be given out with the car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Yes traction and power

Read before if you could solve the tire problem, it's possible to do 0-60 less than 1 second with street cars

General back of napkin formula for ICE without tyre, grip and all other factors etc is weight/power, 1kg/1bhp = 1sec 0-60

1300kg/100bhp = 13s
    1300kg/150bhp = 8.6s
    1300kg/200bhp = 6.5s
    1300kg/300bhp = 4.3s
    1300kg/500bhp = 2.6s

Its some bit accurate, EVs which are better suited for 0-60mph times are slightly better than that

An ID3 at 1720kg/204bhp = 8.4s, but gets 7.4s, but past 60mph it feels like a 8.4s car

An F1 car at 750kg/1000bhp, with the right tyres ( heated slicks sticking like glue to surface), launch control, gearing etc should in theory be able to do less than 1sec

A 2000kg Model S plaid is going to need over 1000bhp to get 2s and then you have tyre problem

Think it will be a disclaimer saying race tyres, roll out to do it

Maybe heated tyres covers will be given out with the car

The piece i read about it mentioned the suspension pre adjusting the rake of the car in this launch.mode to create better traction.

Interslice wrote: »
    The piece i read about it mentioned the suspension pre adjusting the rake of the car in this launch.mode to create better traction.

That's Cheetah mode, available already on the current Model S. Hasn't really made any difference to the launch times.

Amazing car. Period.

Took delivery of my new Model S LR about 2 weeks ago. I can tell you now that it's basically impossible to go faster than 0-100KM <4sec in most situations. Mental fast on long range model.

The range of the Plaid is the big selling point imo, but at 160K I'd likely go with Taycan.

Still phenomenal for a family saloon but the Performance versions are different.
    My 2014 P85 is rated as 4.1 to 60 and the P versions have just gotten quicker since then!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Clicked on the link and my first thought was that the Model S looks old. Never saw that before, it’s still a good looking car, but the design is tired. It’s funny how that happens eg Was always a fan of the previous gen Jaguar XF (facelift) and then one day saw one at the lights and had the same reaction. Time for a new design.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Clicked on the link and my first thought was that the Model S looks old. Never saw that before, it’s still a good looking car, but the design is tired. It’s funny how that happens eg Was always a fan of the previous gen Jaguar XF (facelift) and then one day saw one at the lights and had the same reaction. Time for a new design.

Yeah does nothing for me either

Compared to the Taycan it does look old

There’s elements of the car that look dated and elements that still look cool.
    It’s deffo due a refresh alright or redesign infact.

Four-door fastbacks are fundamentally difficult to style; they always end up looking slightly awkward, particularly around the C pillar.

The Taycan would be considered ugly if Porsche hadn't spent a decade or so trolling us with the Cayenne and Panamera.

Even Aston have struggled to get the Rapide to look right, and they have easiest design DNA in the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭sk8board

Tesla have gotten lost down the rabbit hole of 0-60 times on this for sure.
    It’s on the U.K. website for £136k, before you add the FSD for £7.5k.

Seriously lads, it’s great tech, but would you pay £143k for an already old model S design, in 2022?

People spending that kind of money on sports cars in Ireland only buy Porsche’s, and there’s a four-door option for them today.

Clicked on the link and my first thought was that the Model S looks old. Never saw that before, it’s still a good looking car, but the design is tired.

It was presented nearly 12 years ago! Of course it looks a bit old now. The 2016 face lift model does look a lot fresher though imho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

personally its whats under the hood and the interior is what i find important
    how it looks externally is still a deciding factor but less so

got to remember you spend more time inside it that standing in front admiring it.... :)

Laviski wrote: »
    personally its whats under the hood and the interior is what i find important
    how it looks externally is still a deciding factor but less so

got to remember you spend more time inside it that standing in front admiring it.... :)

I loved my i3 in this regard.

Advertisement