Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rolec Charger Kaput!

• 05-10-2020 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

Woke up to darkness over the weekend, and the culprit turned out to be my 32A Rolec Wallpod, which I haven't opened yet, but based on the smell, I doubt we'll be using anytime soon.

It hasn't missed a beat, the only thing I can think of is we allowed a friend to charge her Zoe on it, and this was the first charge since then. Maybe just a coincidence.

I see that they go for about 350 GBP new, is it worth my while trying to get it repaired or do you think I'm better off buying a new one?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

How old is it?
    You have your Statutory rights on this you know, needs to last a reasonable period of time etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

spuddy wrote: »
    Woke up to darkness over the weekend, and the culprit turned out to be my 32A Rolec Wallpod, which I haven't opened yet, but based on the smell, I doubt we'll be using anytime soon.

It hasn't missed a beat, the only thing I can think of is we allowed a friend to charge her Zoe on it, and this was the first charge since then. Maybe just a coincidence.

I see that they go for about 350 GBP new, is it worth my while trying to get it repaired or do you think I'm better off buying a new one?

I feel your pain spuddy!
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110610159

It's a well known issue. The early Rolec charge points are very poor quality on the RCBO and the plastic casing becoming brittle over time.

Is your car 3.6kW or 7kW capable? The zoe might have tipped it over the edge if the charge point has only been charging at 3.6kW up to now.

All is not lost though. I'd be willing to wager it is just a case of swapping out the RCBO and it will work away fine again. You wont know until its opened though.

Do be careful opening it. Turn those screws slowly and without too much force or the plastic could crack leaving you with an unsafe charge point. Likewise when closing it up... dont force the screws too tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Weren’t Rolec’s from a certain period known to have a bit of a meltdown? I think it may have been the RCD inside it. Maybe it’s one of those old ones?

[Edit]
    What he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭spuddy

Thanks folks, seems I'm not alone. No statutory rights as I was given the unit by a friend who was upgrading theirs at the time. I had it professionally installed & it's worked flawlessly for close to 2 years. It looks like this might be a newer RCBO?

Rolec.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Thanks folks, seems I'm not alone. No statutory rights as I was given the unit by a friend who was upgrading theirs at the time. I had it professionally installed & it's worked flawlessly for close to 2 years. It looks like this might be a newer RCBO?

Looks like the magic smoke got out anyway!

Replace the rcbo and you'll be good to go again.

• Advertisement

graememk wrote: »
    Looks like the magic smoke got out anyway!

Replace the rcbo and you'll be good to go again.

Is that something DIYable, or do I need to get an electrician out?

Is that something DIYable, or do I need to get an electrician out?

Quick update, I managed to answer my own question, picked up a Garo replacement RCBO, installed it today & crossed my fingers. The little blue light lit up, happy days. Charged the car for a few minutes, and all seemed well. Tonight will be the acid test.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Quick update, I managed to answer my own question, picked up a Garo replacement RCBO, installed it today & crossed my fingers. The little blue light lit up, happy days. Charged the car for a few minutes, and all seemed well. Tonight will be the acid test.

Check the connections for tighness again in a few weeks. Other than that it should work away fine for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭handpref

Every component in that charger can be purchased separately so well done on the fix, early units gave an rcbo issue but it’s easily changed, the only other parts that can give a problem would be the mode 3 controller and the contactor, all easily sourced and replaced.
    It will outlast many of the other more expensive charger options as the parts can all be bought independently and are easy to access. I’m using them 6 years and have never been stuck. Im running a dual Rolec securicharge unit that charges a zoe and i3 every night. I keep a spare wallpod like yours in case I ever need a spare part.
    Hope she goes ok tonight -

I have a garo triple priority unit, I was getting random trips once a week - I changed the rcbo out for the same rating Hager Rcbo and it’s never faulted. Might be one to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

handpref wrote: »
    Every component in that charger can be purchased separately so well done on the fix, early units gave an rcbo issue but it’s easily changed, the only other parts that can give a problem would be the mode 3 controller and the contactor, all easily sourced and replaced.
    It will outlast many of the other more expensive charger options as the parts can all be bought independently and are easy to access. I’m using them 6 years and have never been stuck. Im running a dual Rolec securicharge unit that charges a zoe and i3 every night. I keep a spare wallpod like yours in case I ever need a spare part.
    Hope she goes ok tonight -

I have a garo triple priority unit, I was getting random trips once a week - I changed the rcbo out for the same rating Hager Rcbo and it’s never faulted. Might be one to watch.

Agreed - mine was having strange issues recently due to faulty controller and I was able to get the controller online and replaced it myself in less than 15 mins.

• Advertisement
Advertisement