Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

heat escaping oven

Options
  • 08-10-2020 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

My aunt has a Beko oven over ten years. its fine but there is heat escaping when its closed. I looked at the seal and it seems OK especially because there is no seal at the top. It is a three sided sea,l bottom two side and i'ts at the top the heat escapes.

It is of sentimental value and she wants to keep it. Could I put some sort of a seal along the top of the door. If so what sort. The top of the door is much wider than the three sided seal.

or is there any other way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I would urge the greatest caution here. Especially if its a gas oven.

Our gas oven lets loads of heat out the back, there's a kind of flat funnel to do this, and if I stick my head in the oven (:eek::pac:) looking down at the gas burner element, I can see the floor ! Presumably this is to allow fresh air in the bottom and burnt gases out the back. I know that interfering with this setup can cause carbon monoxide.

The other side of the cooker is an electric oven, but I haven't determined how its vented, but assume it is, because read any electric oven installation instructions and they say to leave a gap at the back for ventilation.

Maybe there's nothing wrong with your oven, maybe its only now you;ve noticed how it works?

Tread carefully, good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What model is it? Looking at a spares website it appears there are both 4 sided and 3 sided seals, so either it was 4 sided seal and part of it has broken off and gone missing, its supposed to be a 3 sided one, or someone in the past has replaced it and either used the wrong one or put it in upside down. If there is a gap, it should be at the bottom of the oven, not the top for reasons you're experiencing!

EDIT: from what I've read online, it's often gas ovens that have the 3 sided ones, and in this case the gap should very definitely be at the bottom!

https://www.cookerspareparts.com/news/post/oven-door-seals-three-sides-or-four

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

Alun wrote: »
    What model is it? Looking at a spares website it appears there are both 4 sided and 3 sided seals, so either it was 4 sided seal and part of it has broken off and gone missing, its supposed to be a 3 sided one, or someone in the past has replaced it and either used the wrong one or put it in upside down. If there is a gap, it should be at the bottom of the oven, not the top for reasons you're experiencing!

EDIT: from what I've read online, it's often gas ovens that have the 3 sided ones, and in this case the gap should very definitely be at the bottom!

https://www.cookerspareparts.com/news/post/oven-door-seals-three-sides-or-four
    no there was no other owner or service person. The seal is three side and since it's already side and bottom it's not meant to be at the top Beko BE65FSW .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

At ten years old the most likely problem is that the tension is gone off the springs in the door hinges. Expertise in tullamore who are on the net should be able to help with replacements. If the top edge of the door is not sitting tight against the oven frame its definitely the problem

Advertisement