Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Living with Covid 2021,2022, 2023 ...

• 07-10-2020 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Let me introduce myself.
    As everybody else, i was looking at figures for last 9 months.
    I do everything possible to protect my environment from the infection, and was sure everybody doing the same.
    In particular measures i do take:
    1. Everything coming to the house from outside has two ways:
    1.1. Food which requires cold storage is bought in plastic wrapping. Cartoons outside removed and immediately wasted ito bin outside, plastic boxes washed with a bleach-containing mix, kept for few minutes (actually untill all othe items washed same way), next all of this washed with tap water and placed into fridge.
    1.2. Food and other item not rerquiring fridging - they are going to the shed for at least 3 (three) days, where these radiated by UV-C lamps producing 03 (ozone) overnight expecting killing organic shells of The Virus and other infections. 3 days period is chosen because it was reported in March as max. time while virus can survive on any surfaces. If you have newer data please share.
    1.3. Any incoming physical correspondence goes p.1.2. way or, if it was obviously delayed more than 3 days, is open in plastic gloves, package and gloves wasted immediately with no contacting content.
    2. Approaching home we apply desinfectant to the shoes as a must.
    3. Personal visits into shops and other public places are minimised to once per month. Weekly delivery from Tesco resolves most of our family needs. Goods are received outside of our house and following routes as described in p.p. 1.1 and p.p. 1.2 above. Yes it is more expensive than normal shopping, but I believe it is safer way.
    3.1. Unfortunately only Tesco has more or less "sane" way for online shopping (The "sane" is quoted because it is not completely sane.. Someone would ever say it is probably insane.. But this is better than nothing in current situation)
    4. We do not visit any indoor public places, pubs, restaurants, using Phone/Internet for communications
    5. When exchanging any items with our friends we are insisting on touchless approach - like you take your bag, open it, and i put thing into it and you wait for 3 days before contacting it.
    6. Any items contacted with other people are quarantined too.. In particular i just remembered my driving licence should be somewhere in the car boot in the zip lock after garda at check point touched it couple weeks ago. Completely forgot about it BTW, it is time to take it out there..
    7. etc. It is hard to remember all of precautions - me and my wife, after few excercises we just doing this automatically, not thinking about it.
    1000. And yes, i can afford working from home since I do pay rent rent for appropriate house. This makes cocooning easier.

Now about my view of current situation:

1. Covid is highly viral infection
    2. Covid is mutating very fast - it was said in the media (sorry i have no links) it has produced about 2 or 3 new stains since lockdown started
    3. I do not have official information, but it seems people who had Covid keep immune for about 2 months, after that they are in danger to get infected again
    4. p.2 + p.3 means virus changing in 3 months period making acquired immunity useless. Vaccines produced from 1 year old stains will be useless against currently active stain of virus when released to public.
    5. From the p.4 - this means Covid will be circulating in the society regularly changing itself for nobody knows how long time with no chance for collective immunity or whatever like that. It will simply re-terate killing these, who have survived 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4rt etc wave. This is worst forecast, but this is what i consider until more optimistic forecast will be available.

So why i writing that much words.

I didn't read Boards for quite long time being busy. Today, mostly because of recent news, i went here, have read latest posts in relation to goverment moving and got impression that the whole Ireland is settled by people denying Covid issue :)

Guys, i completely understand somebody have lost a job because of this disaster, sitting at home on goverment welfare and having nothing to do rather than posting these things to boards.ie. The only problem it is looking all Irish want to have Covid while it is not true. I do not want you to share your Covid with me. And i believe majority don't wat too, they just have no time to write up here. Just believe - there are a lot of people who would not like to suffer from Covid or its subsequences. Did you hear about subsequences? The "recovered" in the stats does not mean you are back to normal life in some cases. These "recovered" have no virus, but they can have whole spectrum of negative subsequnces. Actually it is hard to say how many people are still as they were before they got influence - many post-Covid syndromes are still present over observed period. And nobody would say will victims of the first wave survive over second, third etc waves. This will be a long story. If you still not accept this - tonight is the right time to change your mind. Just think and understand - Covid here for a long time. We have to accept it and change to take this challenge. This is not only a loss but also an opportunity. The "new normal" opens doors for new businesses. We can see the Tesco moves forward - since intial lockdown they have significantly extended their delivery business while many other sellers losing customers because they were not able to establish any kind of normal selling and delivery in the Internet. Today it is simpler and safer to buy things from Amazon than visiting local shop. This is huge opportunity but no business would invest into it hoping something will magically change.

We are struggling with the jobs lost? Government just have to say truth to people: this will not finish soon. Change your businesses. If you are driver who lost the job - go to goods delivery, there is demand. If you are mechanic or ingeneer who lost the job - work on adapting public transport or infrastructure to current challenges, marketologist from tourist industry? Don't wait new tourists, apply your skills in the selling goods over network, web developer who was developing web-sites to sell touristic services in Ireland? Make internet shops. etc. Many losses can be avoided if you face the truth - for quite long time we will have to live with this, and "new normal" will never be the same as "good old normal".

And, of course, please do not be mislead by a number of people denying Covid impacts on the Boards for 24 hours a day :eek: I'm not agree. I do not want to be infected by this ****. I do support stricter isolation measures. That is it, i just felt i have to say this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have you met boards user Noxx? I think you two could be friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

Have you met boards user Noxx? I think you two could be friends.

Somebody else who do not want to suffer from post-Covid syndrome? I'm surprised there is somebody else like me on the Boards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I'm truly sorry covid or the risk of has brought so much extra work to your life.
    I'll be honest Op and say I couldn't read past the first few sentences so I certainly couldn't so even the smallest percentage of the things you do.
    It sounds really exhausting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Hand in Your Pants

I barely scanned that but thought I saw the word "transgender" in one of the blocks of text? What you smoking OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Getting the virus would improve your quality of life so much after you recovered. 99.99% plus of people recover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,711 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Who knew members of nphet even use boards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Getting the virus would improve your quality of life so much after you recovered. 99.99% plus of people recover.

Youre right, it kills literally nobody. Except every 150th person in Bergamo, 1 in every 300 new yorkers, one in every 400 people in peru. etc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Are you severely immunocompromised, suffering from some sort of anxiety disorder and/or over the age of 75?

If not, your regime with groceries is..well, a little extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Ramblings of a mad man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Thats_me, I was like you at the start. It did an absolute number on my mental health. It hurts to read this, because our household was very similar. I really hope you've not been like this since March?

I don't mean to sound condescending or patronising in any way, but do think therapy might be helpful for this anxiety?

Best wishes to you, genuinely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Covid is not mutating very fast, and nothing like influenza. Some of the front-running vaccines have been tested against all the known mutations, and they've worked against each.

The bigger issue with immunity is that you probably can get reinfected after some time, but the expectation from most scientists is that reinfections will be milder each time as your body will recognise and react to it. People who had SARS1 still have protection 17 years later. It's likely this will be around for a long time, but the situation will progressively get better - particularly if we can get a vaccine which will jumpstart our immune systems to recognise it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

Sounds like OCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Dear Lord, your life Steps 1 to 7.... It must be very hard to deal with having no immune system at all and having many underlying conditions to go to such strong measures to try and avoid catching Covid...
    I haven't done even one of your 7 steps...

What you mean as "recover"?

According to worldometer, stats for IE:
    • Total cases 39584
    • Total deaths 1816
    • Active cases 14404

Lets exclude "Active cases" because outcome is unknown - we simply cannot evaluate how many people from these active cases will die. So we will do calculation on "closed cases". Please do not hesitate to correct me if i'm wrong:

Death rate = 100*1816/(39584-14404) = 7.2%

Conclusion: According to stats, your statement "99.99% plus of people recover" is slightly not true.

Please also notice - we have no stats in relation to how many people who considered as "recovered" are still having health issues caused by this disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

OP have you considered therapy?

I'm truly sorry covid or the risk of has brought so much extra work to your life.
    I'll be honest Op and say I couldn't read past the first few sentences so I certainly couldn't so even the smallest percentage of the things you do.
    It sounds really exhausting.

No! No extra time spent! :)

On-line shopping takes less time, also the need to buy for a week in advance does organise you - you do plan your consumption ahead, this helps to save money - therefore it turns atl least not more expensive than normal shopping. Actually i see my spending are even lower than before. Other things like sorting food ordered on-line, washing it etc - it is one hour. One hour per week! We were spending more time for normal offline shopping before Covid appear.

Hygienic measures do not require any effort at all. Wear gloves before touching anything outside safety perimeter, dispose used glowes before touching anything inside perimeter - it takes no time, no effort. Spayng shoes either.

We have spent first couple of month to optimise all these actions, that took an effort, but now standard actions are done automatically, with no thinking, with no physical effort or significant expenses on it.

Are you severely immunocompromised, suffering from some sort of anxiety disorder and/or over the age of 75?

If not, your regime with groceries is..well, a little extreme.

I do not want to test my immune system with this virus. Why would i need? Better to try to avoid a problem than play a roulette with my own life at stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭shalom

Hi Thats me,

I personally think you are ahead of the posse so to speak with regard what is happening with the world. I think you are brave for even putting it on here because ... well as you can see with the replies, 'youve got ocd' etc.

It sounds to me that you have done a lot of research etc. Is your field mathematics or Science?

there was only one other person that I knew that did the same as you and she lives in San Fran. She called it exactly as it happened.

You mention in your subject matter 2021, 2022 , 2023, . What do you see for the coming years for us? I would love to hear your opinion. you can pm me if you prefer.

Also yes I can see so many other businesses that can spring up. Im looking at 1 or 2 myself. Thanks for your input. Very interesting.

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Thats_me, I was like you at the start. It did an absolute number on my mental health. It hurts to read this, because our household was very similar. I really hope you've not been like this since March?

I don't mean to sound condescending or patronising in any way, but do think therapy might be helpful for this anxiety?

Best wishes to you, genuinely.

Dear friend, i was aware of the Covid pandemy since February. When at the end of February WHO announced the trouble getting global, i went to internet and was learning for couple weeks about the virus and how to make my family safe from it maintaining level of comfort on the same level, just because this is my responsibilty.

I do not see what you could consider as "anxiety", i feel even more comfortable as before. The only problem i see is the negligible amount of people who denies the obvious problem spending all their time hysterically propaganding unhealthy approaches. I understand my home grown measures will stop working on some level of spreading the virus and will require much stricter procedures and more serious investment into protection. This is the reason why speak up. This is activity which will improve nothing. In my opinion more practical approach would be to think how to live with Covid than deny this reality.

hmmm wrote: »
    Covid is not mutating very fast, and nothing like influenza.

It is continuously mutating. My evaluation based on information what i have, but i even have no formal proof to confirm it.
    Some of the front-running vaccines have been tested against all the known mutations, and they've worked against each.

What mean "all the known mutations" - it is thousands of them.

And what mean "they've worked"? Somebody took thouthands of groups of volounteers, split each group to two parts, gave one part vaccine and placebo to other half of each group, exposed each group to virus and compared now many volounteers in each half-group got infected and how many not? Where they have found so many volounteers?
    The bigger issue with immunity is that you probably can get reinfected after some time

LOL, you need to survive first. In order to be re-infected. And who knows some one who survived, "recovered" would consider death from being re-infected as a good riddance.
    but the expectation from most scientists is that reinfections will be milder each time as your body will recognise and react to it.

May be. But who will guarantee this?
    People who had SARS1 still have protection 17 years later.

People who had COVID could have protaection against COVID up to the end of their life - this means nothing because in two to three months they have no protection from new stain of COVID.
    It's likely this will be around for a long time, but the situation will progressively get better - particularly if we can get a vaccine which will jumpstart our immune systems to recognise it.

Amen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Thats me wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Let me introduce myself.
    I do everything possible to protect my environment from the infection, and was sure everybody doing the same.
    1.1. Food which requires cold storage is bought in plastic wrapping. Cartoons outside removed and immediately wasted ito bin outside, plastic boxes washed with a bleach-containing mix, kept for few minutes (actually untill all othe items washed same way), next all of this washed with tap water and placed into fridge.
    1.2. Food and other item not rerquiring fridging - they are going to the shed for at least 3 (three) days, where these radiated by UV-C lamps producing 03 (ozone) overnight expecting killing organic shells of The Virus and other infections. 3 days period is chosen because it was reported in March as max. time while virus can survive on any surfaces. If you have newer data please share.
    1.3. Any incoming physical correspondence goes p.1.2. way or, if it was obviously delayed more than 3 days, is open in plastic gloves, package and gloves wasted immediately with no contacting content.
    3. Personal visits into shops and other public places are minimised to once per month. Weekly delivery from Tesco resolves most of our family needs. Goods are received outside of our house and following routes as described in p.p. 1.1 and p.p. 1.2 above. Yes it is more expensive than normal shopping, but I believe it is safer way.
    3.1. Unfortunately only Tesco has more or less "sane" way for online shopping (The "sane" is quoted because it is not completely sane.. Someone would ever say it is probably insane.. But this is better than nothing in current situation)
    4. We do not visit any indoor public places, pubs, restaurants, using Phone/Internet for communications
    5. When exchanging any items with our friends we are insisting on touchless approach - like you take your bag, open it, and i put thing into it and you wait for 3 days before contacting it.
    6. Any items contacted with other people are quarantined too.. In particular i just remembered my driving licence should be somewhere in the car boot in the zip lock after garda at check point touched it couple weeks ago. Completely forgot about it BTW, it is time to take it out there..
    7. etc. It is hard to remember all of precautions - me and my wife, after few excercises we just doing this automatically, not thinking about it.
    1000. And yes, i can afford working from home since I do pay rent rent for appropriate house. This makes cocooning easier.

2. Covid is mutating very fast - it was said in the media (sorry i have no links) it has produced about 2 or 3 new stains since lockdown started
    3. I do not have official information, but it seems people who had Covid keep immune for about 2 months, after that they are in danger to get infected again
    4. p.2 + p.3 means virus changing in 3 months period making acquired immunity useless. Vaccines produced from 1 year old stains will be useless against currently active stain of virus when released to public.
    5. From the p.4 - this means Covid will be circulating in the society regularly changing itself for nobody knows how long time with no chance for collective immunity or whatever like that. It will simply re-terate killing these, who have survived 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4rt etc wave. This is worst forecast, but this is what i consider until more optimistic forecast will be available.

I didn't read Boards for quite long time being busy. Today, mostly because of recent news, i went here, have read latest posts in relation to goverment moving and got impression that the whole Ireland is settled by people denying Covid issue :)

Guys, i completely understand somebody have lost a job because of this disaster, sitting at home on goverment welfare and having nothing to do rather than posting these things to boards.ie. The only problem it is looking all Irish want to have Covid while it is not true. I do not want you to share your Covid with me. And i believe majority don't wat too, they just have no time to write up here. Just believe - there are a lot of people who would not like to suffer from Covid or its subsequences. Did you hear about subsequences? The "recovered" in the stats does not mean you are back to normal life in some cases. These "recovered" have no virus, but they can have whole spectrum of negative subsequnces. Actually it is hard to say how many people are still as they were before they got influence - many post-Covid syndromes are still present over observed period. And nobody would say will victims of the first wave survive over second, third etc waves. This will be a long story. If you still not accept this - tonight is the right time to change your mind. Just think and understand - Covid here for a long time. We have to accept it and change to take this challenge. This is not only a loss but also an opportunity. The "new normal" opens doors for new businesses. We can see the Tesco moves forward - since intial lockdown they have significantly extended their delivery business while many other sellers losing customers because they were not able to establish any kind of normal selling and delivery in the Internet. Today it is simpler and safer to buy things from Amazon than visiting local shop. This is huge opportunity but no business would invest into it hoping something will magically change.

We are struggling with the jobs lost? Government just have to say truth to people: this will not finish soon. Change your businesses. If you are driver who lost the job - go to goods delivery, there is demand. If you are mechanic or ingeneer who lost the job - work on adapting public transport or infrastructure to current challenges, marketologist from tourist industry? Don't wait new tourists, apply your skills in the selling goods over network, web developer who was developing web-sites to sell touristic services in Ireland? Make internet shops. etc. Many losses can be avoided if you face the truth - for quite long time we will have to live with this, and "new normal" will never be the same as "good old normal".

And, of course, please do not be mislead by a number of people denying Covid impacts on the Boards for 24 hours a day :eek: I'm not agree. I do not want to be infected by this ****. I do support stricter isolation measures. That is it, i just felt i have to say this.

Get psychiatric help.
    You are a lunatic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

It is continuously mutating.
    What mean "all the known mutations" - it is thousands of them.

Could you provide your source for these claims? When you do I'll forward it on to all the vaccine developers, I'm sure they'd be interested!

El Sueño wrote: »
    Could you provide your source for these claims? When you do I'll forward it on to all the vaccine developers, I'm sure they'd be interested!

"Despite the virus’s sluggish mutation rate, researchers have catalogued more than 12,000 mutations in SARS-CoV-2 genomes."

Ref: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02544-6

This is FYI, I'd guess vaccine developers know all of this better than all of us all together, so you not need to waste your time urgently alerting them. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AUDI20

bush wrote: »
    Ramblings of a mad man

He would fit in very well here on so.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

What you mean as "recover"?

According to worldometer, stats for IE:
    • Total cases 39584
    • Total deaths 1816
    • Active cases 14404

Lets exclude "Active cases" because outcome is unknown - we simply cannot evaluate how many people from these active cases will die. So we will do calculation on "closed cases". Please do not hesitate to correct me if i'm wrong:

Death rate = 100*1816/(39584-14404) = 7.2%

Conclusion: According to stats, your statement "99.99% plus of people recover" is slightly not true.

Please also notice - we have no stats in relation to how many people who considered as "recovered" are still having health issues caused by this disease.

And how do you know that "total cases" is not 10x higher ?
    It very easily could have been that 9 in 10 people were also sick, but never diagnosed.

Also how do you know that 1816 "total death" of people diagnosed with covid-19 were actually deaths caused by covid-19?

I would very much like to see similar stats to flu.
    How many people per year gets diagnosed to be infected with flu by a medical test?
    How many people who died - assuming all of such people would be tested for flu - would show positive for flu?

I'm assuming then such stats could easily show flu to be most deadliest disease on earth.

It just proves stats collected that way are totally useless.

Only real way for stats to show real facts, would be much higher death rate during covid-19 pandemic, than normal.
    Ie if there are normally about 35-40 thousand people dying in Ireland every year, then if there were 2x more people dead in a year of pandemic, then this would be a proof.

However so far it doesn't look at all like there were going to be any noticable increase in death in 2020 compared to previous years.
    And if there isn't - that pretty much means that whole pandemic thing is a just a big bullsh1t.

CiniO wrote: »
    And how do you know
    bullsh1t.

Come back with facts if you have any objections in relation to the stats provided by worldometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

OP your maths are way way off. There are official stats for death rates from Covid. I’m assuming that your field is not maths or science.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Hi All,
    Let me introduce myself.

Walk out on to the street and ask the first 10 people you see who live here in Ireland who they know , that has died from COVID-19. They’ll know people who have had it surely, but I guarantee you you’ll get a very small amount knowing anyone who has died, maybe even 0/10. It’s the same across the country.

Now go to bed and refrain from posting any crap like that on here again.

I sincerely hope you don’t have children, because I pity the life you are putting them through at the moment based on your post.

Honest to god, there’s wiser looking out of the funny house

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,125 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

This can be discussed in the megathread, I have no idea why it's in it's own thread or even what the objective of this thread is :confused:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058119434

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement