Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any ladies here in the EV forum?

• 05-10-2020 4:47pm

Ok It worked this time.

I'm just interested in the Female perspective because I think we're mainly Male on this EV Forum, I could be wrong.

Remember, ladies only volte please.

Q1: Are you a frequent poster in the EV section ?

Q2 : Do you drive an EV ?

Q3: My next car be EV ?

Q4: My Next Car Won't Be EV

Q5: Too Expensive

Q6: Range Is the Main Issue

Q7: Public Charging Is My Main Issue

Q8: I've learned A Lot On This Forum About EV.

Please answer the questions in the poll, multiple choice. 24 votes

Are you a frequent poster in the EV section?
    50% 12 votes
    Do you drive an EV?
    0% 0 votes
    My next car be EV?
    12% 3 votes
    My next car won't be EV
    16% 4 votes
    Too expensive
    0% 0 votes
    Range is the main issue
    12% 3 votes
    Public charging infrastructure is my main issue
    0% 0 votes
    I've learned a lot on this forum about EV.
    8% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,066 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Setting up a dating site?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭MarkN

Women and the use of car discussion forums are generally low. Obviously there's exceptions but from my own experience of millions of impressions on car content, about 7% of that is from females.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭hurikane

Trying to draw them out for some mansplaining?

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

I'm female and I don't post often but I do read the forum quite a bit.
    We went fully electric about 4 years ago - We had two Nissan leafs (always think that should be leaves!!) - however, my husband's inner desire for a Tesla finally won out and he drives a model S. We've 3 kids and I'd love a model y when the time comes but I need to do more research and also some great alternatives are coming out - I really like the look of the Nissan Ariya. My hubby is the EV freak - loves loves loves them and since we bought ours in 2016 he has persuaded 3 separate families to invest in an EV. He knows all the techie bits - I'm all, I'd just like this colour please!!

highly1111 wrote: »
    I'm female and I don't post often but I do read the forum quite a bit.
    We went fully electric about 4 years ago - We had two Nissan leafs (always think that should be leaves!!) - however, my husband's inner desire for a Tesla finally won out and he drives a model S. We've 3 kids and I'd love a model y when the time comes but I need to do more research and also some great alternatives are coming out - I really like the look of the Nissan Ariya. My hubby is the EV freak - loves loves loves them and since we bought ours in 2016 he has persuaded 3 separate families to invest in an EV. He knows all the techie bits - I'm all, I'd just like this colour please!!

Thanks for posting, It's good to hear about EV from the Female point of view. Interesting.

Since your interested in the Tesla Y have you considered the new VW id.4 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

No but avid reader

Yes we purchased a Tesla Model 3 last year. Coming up to owning it for a year now

We would love to replace our family car with an EV as owning and driving the Model 3 has been great. Unfortunately we are a family of 6 and most EV are only 5 seaters. The only EV we would fit into would be a Tesla Model X..and we cannot justify paying over €100k to replace our family car that costs 1/3rd of that!

For families with more than 5 people, yes they are stupid expensive.

soc wrote: »
    No but avid reader

Yes we purchased a Tesla Model 3 last year. Coming up to owning it for a year now

We would love to replace our family car with an EV as owning and driving the Model 3 has been great. Unfortunately we are a family of 6 and most EV are only 5 seaters. The only EV we would fit into would be a Tesla Model X..and we cannot justify paying over €100k to replace our family car that costs 1/3rd of that!

For families with more than 5 people, yes they are stupid expensive.

Have you had any issues with the 3 ?

What do you like about it ?

I'm considering getting one in 2021 sometime and I think for me the best bits are the power even int he SR+, the infotainment and the Auto Pilot.

Which version do you have ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I don't think I'm a frequent poster.. I do comment on the e-niro thread as I wanted one for over a year before I finally got one in July lol :p

Have you had any issues with the 3 ?

What do you like about it ?

I'm considering getting one in 2021 sometime and I think for me the best bits are the power even int he SR+, the infotainment and the Auto Pilot.

Which version do you have ?

No issues with the 3.
    Absolutely love driving it still after owning it a year.
    The infotainment is brilliant. When we got it last year and having to public charge...we could sit back and watch Netflix or listen to Spotify or play games but that's not my thing more for kids or husband ;-) (yes we bought a game controller for the car) and chill... not even notice the time ticking away to charge...this was before timed charging lol where you watch the clock now!.

We recently bought the over air enhanced autopilot (EAP) that was on offer so that makes driving even better imo. We like AP but this has a little extra whistles and bells that we were willing to pay for. It's mad that you can get these over the air updates that can actually change how the car performs.

We went with LR because longer range than SR+, has heated seats in the back, Better sound system, fog lights (I don't know if sr+ now come with fog lights or not). We wanted to get a car from the get-go that we would be happy with and not wish we had this or that...and getting the LR ticked our boxes. SR+ fell short for us and the P as much as nice alloys are, we were never going to use the fast speed that it touts (0-60km in 2.9 sec I think), the price jump between LR and P wasn't worth it to us.

We do not regret buying the LR. I still think it is the best car we've ever bought...even after a year its still fun to go for a drive in.

I have seen people who own SR+ upgrading to back heated seats and now they are wanting a better sound system...so think about these Little things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,178 ✭✭✭✭fits

Q1: Are you a frequent poster in the EV section ? No

Q2 : Do you drive an EV ? No

Im looking at it as a possibility however as we usually try to avoid car loans, our budget is probably too limited for now.

Yes this is a big problem.

We'd plan to run one EV and one diesel which we need for towing.

No

Yes. Would definitely check here for researching new car.

• Advertisement

No issues with the 3.
    Absolutely love driving it still after owning it a year.
    The infotainment is brilliant. When we got it last year and having to public charge...we could sit back and watch Netflix or listen to Spotify or play games but that's not my thing more for kids or husband ;-) (yes we bought a game controller for the car) and chill... not even notice the time ticking away to charge...this was before timed charging lol where you watch the clock now!.

We recently bought the over air enhanced autopilot (EAP) that was on offer so that makes driving even better imo. We like AP but this has a little extra whistles and bells that we were willing to pay for. It's mad that you can get these over the air updates that can actually change how the car performs.

We went with LR because longer range than SR+, has heated seats in the back, Better sound system, fog lights (I don't know if sr+ now come with fog lights or not). We wanted to get a car from the get-go that we would be happy with and not wish we had this or that...and getting the LR ticked our boxes. SR+ fell short for us and the P as much as nice alloys are, we were never going to use the fast speed that it touts (0-60km in 2.9 sec I think), the price jump between LR and P wasn't worth it to us.

We do not regret buying the LR. I still think it is the best car we've ever bought...even after a year its still fun to go for a drive in.

I have seen people who own SR+ upgrading to back heated seats and now they are wanting a better sound system...so think about these Little things.

Great, thanks for the reply, if I were to consider a M3 the LR is out of price range unfortunately and the SR+ is going to get a new battery + a very small increase in range and a price reduction by 4,000 USD what that translates to in Euro's after tax is anyones guess but it will make it even more attractive. There's other updates planned too including a heat pump + double insulated windows and maybe one or two other enhancements.

Do you feel comfortable using the Autopilot ?

fits wrote: »
    Q1: Are you a frequent poster in the EV section ? No

Q2 : Do you drive an EV ? No

Im looking at it as a possibility however as we usually try to avoid car loans, our budget is probably too limited for now.

Yes this is a big problem.

We'd plan to run one EV and one diesel which we need for towing.

No

Yes. Would definitely check here for researching new car.

Yeah hopefully the cost will come down a lot in the next few years.

The First EV I got in 2015 was the Nissan Leaf with only 21 usable KWh of battery, it cost 28.5 K for the top spec, they had a cheaper one which cost around 22K if I remember correctly. Range was really only around 110 Kms Winter and 140-150 Summer at around 100 Km/hr speeds.

Today the base 40 Kwh Leaf can be got for 27.5K and the 60 Kwh for 37K which is quite pricy for a nissan hatch.

I think the new VW id.3 will become available next year in base trim for around 33 K Euros. Still needs to come down but it's progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 grange girl

Any ladies on here????? Have to say that I cringed at your chosen title for us females. (saying that, I have just noticed the title i opted for when i joined, i think that i was aware of how male the forum can be and maybe hoped that you would be kind in your comments!).
    I rarely post and have just changed from the dreaded PHEV (absolutely the right choice for our previous circumstances) to an EV, have learned lots from the forum. Initial cost is obviously a problem but really value not poisoning everyone as I drive round for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

cant get the wife out of the Model 3 now, if that helps :P
    "the S was too big, didnt like driving it, but the 3 is perfect, i want one.."

Any ladies on here????? Have to say that I cringed at your chosen title for us females. (saying that, I have just noticed the title i opted for when i joined, i think that i was aware of how male the forum can be and maybe hoped that you would be kind in your comments!).
    I rarely post and have just changed from the dreaded PHEV (absolutely the right choice for our previous circumstances) to an EV, have learned lots from the forum. Initial cost is obviously a problem but really value not poisoning everyone as I drive round for work.

I must admit I'm rather curious as to why the title would make you cringe ? How do you feel I should have worded it ?

What EV did you get ?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭sekond

Not that frequent, but I'm an avid reader

Yes, a Corsa-e, bought in the last few months. I've known for a while I wanted an EV, but I didn't realise that it would turn me into someone who randomly talks about cars...

Yes. I can't see myself going back to petrol now. I'd like to move us to a 2 EV family, but I don't think that will happen for a while yet - the other car is a 7 seater, both for when we need extra people in the car, but also for the additional boot space, and husband often does long trips. So until there is a 7 seater or estate with ultra-long range, or a better public charging network, I can't see my husband being willing to change. We went on a long-ish drive last week, where I had planned out charging stops, and he drove me crazy commenting on the range drop when we were on the motorway. So for the moment its one diesel, one EV.

Q8: I've learned A Lot On This Forum About EV
    Definitely. And to some extent more than some of the dealers I spoke to (who also did the usual thing of speaking to my husband instead of me about the specs.)

sekond wrote: »
    Not that frequent, but I'm an avid reader

Yes, a Corsa-e, bought in the last few months. I've known for a while I wanted an EV, but I didn't realise that it would turn me into someone who randomly talks about cars...

Yes. I can't see myself going back to petrol now. I'd like to move us to a 2 EV family, but I don't think that will happen for a while yet - the other car is a 7 seater, both for when we need extra people in the car, but also for the additional boot space, and husband often does long trips. So until there is a 7 seater or estate with ultra-long range, or a better public charging network, I can't see my husband being willing to change. We went on a long-ish drive last week, where I had planned out charging stops, and he drove me crazy commenting on the range drop when we were on the motorway. So for the moment its one diesel, one EV.

Q8: I've learned A Lot On This Forum About EV
    Definitely. And to some extent more than some of the dealers I spoke to (who also did the usual thing of speaking to my husband instead of me about the specs.)

Excellent congrats on the purchase, what do you like about EV the most ?

Yeah more larger family cars would be great but I think it will be a good few years yet before we see an affordable 7 seater with decent EV range, a Ford Galaxy diesel costs around 40k.

Excellent congrats on the purchase, what do you like about EV the most ?

Admittedly I'm coming from a 16 year old Toyota Corolla, so I was always going to be impressed by a newer car...!

I like how quiet it is, how responsive it is. It feels like a very zippy car, particularly overtaking. I was never really a car person, cars were very much an A to Z thing for me, but I find it really enjoyable to drive. The size is ideal for me, very much a goldilocks car (Zoe was too small, Leaf was too big)

Charging is still a bit of a nightmare as our home charge point hasn't been installed yet because we had to get some upgrade works done on the house first, but I know I'm going to love being able to charge at home.

The move to EV wasn't a financial thing - the car was bought from an inheritance, as the person who left me the money would have appreciated that I bought a new car from it - but seeing how little I'm spending, even with the public charging is a nice bonus.

(Husband also owns a gas guzzling vintage car, so I feel I'm balancing out the household carbon footprint a bit too!)

sekond wrote: »
    Admittedly I'm coming from a 16 year old Toyota Corolla, so I was always going to be impressed by a newer car...!

I like how quiet it is, how responsive it is. It feels like a very zippy car, particularly overtaking. I was never really a car person, cars were very much an A to Z thing for me, but I find it really enjoyable to drive. The size is ideal for me, very much a goldilocks car (Zoe was too small, Leaf was too big)

Charging is still a bit of a nightmare as our home charge point hasn't been installed yet because we had to get some upgrade works done on the house first, but I know I'm going to love being able to charge at home.

The move to EV wasn't a financial thing - the car was bought from an inheritance, as the person who left me the money would have appreciated that I bought a new car from it - but seeing how little I'm spending, even with the public charging is a nice bonus.

(Husband also owns a gas guzzling vintage car, so I feel I'm balancing out the household carbon footprint a bit too!)

I think anyone who changes to EV always say they won't go back, myself included. I went from the 2015 Leaf to the BMW i3 with the Rex which is a small petrol generator that enables the car to travel further should the battery run down, not like a normal PHEV where there is mechanical connection to the wheels, the i3 Rex has no mechanical connectivity to the wheels at all so it's very unique. It enabled me to go anywhere and not have to depend on the charging network if I didn't want to.

What does your Husband make of the EV ? will he convert ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31 grange girl

I must admit I'm rather curious as to why the title would make you cringe ? How do you feel I should have worded it ?

What EV did you get ?

Hi Mad Lad, even the older people I work with rarely use the title ladies anymore, though I guess that you were being very polite. ladies tends to imply Victorians in their dresses.....can't imagine that there are many of them on this forum! Probably women would be the better title these days, if you had written the equivalent post for gentlemen.....I think you would probably have titled it, how many men are on this forum????
    I have gone for a 28kwh Ioniq, it will be able to do the day to day (even when we get back to 'normal' life) with no problem and the fast charging should cover the longer trips when they happen. Lots to learn though. Would have loved an E-soul but couldn't afford it....

• Advertisement

Hi Mad Lad, even the older people I work with rarely use the title ladies anymore, though I guess that you were being very polite. ladies tends to imply Victorians in their dresses.....can't imagine that there are many of them on this forum! Probably women would be the better title these days, if you had written the equivalent post for gentlemen.....I think you would probably have titled it, how many men are on this forum????
    I have gone for a 28kwh Ioniq, it will be able to do the day to day (even when we get back to 'normal' life) with no problem and the fast charging should cover the longer trips when they happen. Lots to learn though. Would have loved an E-soul but couldn't afford it....

Well I guess it's hard to please all, I often hear younger Females refer to other Females as ladies and so too with Men and my Own Partner says ladies to my two Sons, my Sister etc so I guess it kinds rubs off on me, I still hold doors open for "Women" and all that. anyway.....

E-Soul is nice and the range is good, the Ioniq is a nice car, I had a good long test drive in it and was surprised at how fast it charged at a fast charger which is always good because my old Leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭garo

It's antiquated usage and probably the women use it ironically. A bit like black men referring to each other by the n-word but obviously nowhere near as objectionable.The term ladies in the title definitely struck me as strange.

What does your Husband make of the EV ? will he convert ? :D

Well, he keeps taking my car any time he goes out locally!

He doesn't have the patience for recharging on trips, and would happily drive 3 hours without stopping, so I suspect that something like the Rex would be ideal for him if it is ever in a bigger car.

I suspect that when it comes to replacing his car, we may go with a PHEV.

Do you feel comfortable using the Autopilot ?

Yes feel confident and comfortable. Rare occasion get phantom braking but if you keep your foot above the accelerator incase this occurs there's no issue. Very impressed with standard auto pilot hence upgrade to enhanced auto pilot.

Definitely using autopilot makes you more aware of how bad other drivers are at sticking to their own lane...the autopilot err on the side of caution with regards to those drivers...and you can't blame it really...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Yes feel confident and comfortable. Rare occasion get phantom braking but if you keep your foot above the accelerator incase this occurs there's no issue. Very impressed with standard auto pilot hence upgrade to enhanced auto pilot.

Definitely using autopilot makes you more aware of how bad other drivers are at sticking to their own lane...the autopilot err on the side of caution with regards to those drivers...and you can't blame it really...

I feel comfortable on motorways.
    On well marked straight roads, somewhat comfortable
    Not comfortable at all using it in the city, or on well marked windy roads!!

It has slammed on the breaks once or twice, even once for me is enough to take away the comfort as i'm second guessing.

garo wrote: »
    It's antiquated usage and probably the women use it ironically. A bit like black men referring to each other by the n-word but obviously nowhere near as objectionable.The term ladies in the title definitely struck me as strange.

Well perhaps they do to you but not to a lot of Women I know, they wouldn't bat an eyelid over it to be honest and I find it rather strange being mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭garo

Different strokes for different folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

maybe I'm odd but,
    I'll only refer to Ladies if for some reason I've just referred to Gentlemen
    I'll use the term Female when using the term Male
    I'll use the term women when using the term men

Generally I've avoid gender based descriptions unless the topic is genuinely gender based.

e.g I would not equate posting about EV's on boards a gender specific topic for discussion, where as I would consider low female participation here to be more related to general lower number of female participation in online discussion forums relating to cars.

However, having said that, whenever I meet another EV driver at a charger, with reflection, a significant majority of them tend to be male, relative to for example the gender balance at petrol pumps.....

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Generational language is interesting.

I was brought up in the 1980s to refer to female adults as women, and female children as girls, and calling a woman a girl was considered infantilising (which is problematic for various reasons that don't require much thought).

So for the past 30 years or so I've glided along believing in the righteousness of my terminology, and now I find myself out of step.

My younger adult friends call each other girls and boys without batting an eyelid.

This is progress, because it means younger women don't feel that "girl" is demeaning, because they're not fighting the same battles (or at least at the same intensity) as my mother's generation were. The battles have moved elsewhere, and now it's the turn of the other gendered to fight for control of the words used against them.

I don't know what people will be calling each other when I'm gone, perhaps it'll be a united front against robots.

It's all progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

@mad_lad, if this thread fizzles out you should consider creating one on Eastern European men..... maybe I'm mad, but the most popular demographic of ev drivers i met are Eastern European drivers between the age of 30 and 40

Advertisement