Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beko Frost Free stopped working

• 07-10-2020 8:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

As the title says, my Beko Frost Free fridge freezer has stopped working.

It doesn't owe us anything, it is 15 years old or thereabouts, but if it was easily fixed I would definitely get it done as we may be buying a new kitchen next year and would be looking at integrated.

The fridge is not cooling and the light is not working. I checked the fuse in the plug, it isn't that. Wonder if anyone might have any ideas. Or else suggestions for someone who might come take a look. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

As the title says, my Beko Frost Free fridge freezer has stopped working.

It doesn't owe us anything, it is 15 years old or thereabouts, but if it was easily fixed I would definitely get it done as we may be buying a new kitchen next year and would be looking at integrated.

The fridge is not cooling and the light is not working. I checked the fuse in the plug, it isn't that. Wonder if anyone might have any ideas. Or else suggestions for someone who might come take a look. Thanks.

Is the freezer working ? If it is, it may be that the fan which blows cold air up to the fridge is iced up.

You'll be able to see that if you take the back panel of the freezer off, or you can just unplug the thing and allow it to defrost. It will possibly work again for a few days until it freezes over again.

There are a few reasons why it might be happening - the heating element in the matrix might have failed, there are also a couple of thermistor in there, the flaps that open and close to allow cold air up may be jammed.

In my case it was the thermal fuse. Cost me about 25 quid to get one online. Cheaper than a new fridge for sure.

Those components are very simple to check if you know how to use a multimeter. Or want to learn.

That's all from memory, but hope it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Is the freezer working ? If it is, it may be that the fan which blows cold air up to the fridge is iced up.

You'll be able to see that if you take the back panel of the freezer off, or you can just unplug the thing and allow it to defrost. It will possibly work again for a few days until it freezes over again.

There are a few reasons why it might be happening - the heating element in the matrix might have failed, there are also a couple of thermistor in there, the flaps that open and close to allow cold air up may be jammed.

In my case it was the thermal fuse. Cost me about 25 quid to get one online. Cheaper than a new fridge for sure.

Those components are very simple to check if you know how to use a multimeter. Or want to learn.

That's all from memory, but hope it helps.

Thanks for the detailed response. I had checked out a few vids online and they mentioned multimeter too.

Good news is that it has started working again, all by itself. The bulb is still gone but everything else working. Weird!

Its a frost free so don't think icing up was the issue. The motor was hot when I came down and noticed it not working this morning, so had only been not working a while presumably. I think this same thing happened a few years back, stopped working then started again.

Looks to be buggered again...

Looks to be buggered again...

That's a nuisance.

I hadn't time earlier to respond to your post, but just FYI on this -
    Its a frost free so don't think icing up was the issue.

'Frost-free' doesn't actually mean that it can't be iced up. It just means that the freezer has technology so that you don't have to manually defrost your fridge in normal operation.

If that system fails - the heater element, fuse etc etc - then you will get ice building up around the fan, the fan can't turn, so no cool air goes up the ducting into the fridge.

Is the freezer cold, at least ?

At least you've got your money's worth out of the thing, fifteen years is not bad.

Be nice to fix it though, hope you do. Good luck !

That's a nuisance.

I hadn't time earlier to respond to your post, but just FYI on this -

'Frost-free' doesn't actually mean that it can't be iced up. It just means that the freezer has technology so that you don't have to manually defrost your fridge in normal operation.

If that system fails - the heater element, fuse etc etc - then you will get ice building up around the fan, the fan can't turn, so no cool air goes up the ducting into the fridge.

Is the freezer cold, at least ?

At least you've got your money's worth out of the thing, fifteen years is not bad.

Be nice to fix it though, hope you do. Good luck !

You're very good to reply. Again! The thing has just started to work again. Its toying with me....!!

• Advertisement

You're very good to reply. Again! The thing has just started to work again. Its toying with me....!!

Since you seem to have intermittent power to the device, maybe the problem is in the power supply ?

Maybe the printed circuit boards are breaking down ? Heat does funny things to electronic components, like intermittent failure for one thing. Eventually the smoke finally escapes for good out of the box of clever stuff, and off to the shops we go :D

I would unplug it, uncover the panel where the pcb is, and look for any signs of smell, burning, or corrosion.

Others would just bin it :D

Since you seem to have intermittent power to the device, maybe the problem is in the power supply ?

Maybe the printed circuit boards are breaking down ? Heat does funny things to electronic components, like intermittent failure for one thing. Eventually the smoke finally escapes for good out of the box of clever stuff, and off to the shops we go :D

I would unplug it, uncover the panel where the pcb is, and look for any signs of smell, burning, or corrosion.

Others would just bin it :D

Thanks.

I note that a few swift but firm kicks is not on your list of suggestions. This seemed to resolve it earlier.

Have my eye on a couple of 2nd hand replacements for < 100 euro, think I will take the plunge so I ha w reliable refrigeration. And a happy wife!

Advertisement