Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AGMs

• 05-10-2020 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Just wondering if any of ye who are members of clubs have attended AGMs since we've had restrictions on gatherings. I know there's several VC platforms available, so I was wondering what people's opinions are which platform works best for this type of meeting. As well as just the VC part of it, how were the following handled:
    • voting (on the day - electronic - post meeting etc)
    • did people need to pre-register
    • how were the participants authenticated

I'm going to be involved in our own AGM so am curious to hear about other's experiences.

Thanks,
    Barns.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Barnseire wrote: »
    Just wondering if any of ye who are members of clubs have attended AGMs since we've had restrictions on gatherings. I know there's several VC platforms available, so I was wondering what people's opinions are which platform works best for this type of meeting. As well as just the VC part of it, how were the following handled:
    • voting (on the day - electronic - post meeting etc)
    • did people need to pre-register
    • how were the participants authenticated

I'm going to be involved in our own AGM so am curious to hear about other's experiences.

Thanks,
    Barns.

I was wondering the same recently, many who attend our agm are in the senior bracket, they may not all be up to speed on the technology. I reckon it will be held in the local community centre with plenty social distancing, level 3 + obviously will scupper that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

We are planning to do it by Zoom.

You can do voting electronically but I reckon we will use the postal option which is more costly.

There is no other option besides not having one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Ollieboy wrote: »

You can do voting electronically but I reckon we will use the postal option which is more costly.

Same in our place. Looking at their best option, either Zoom/Webex, etc... currently.

Most of our members are Dublin based, in a Kildare club, so wouldn't be able to have it on site even if it were possible

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Barnseire

Ollieboy wrote: »

The Zoom bit could be the easy bit. It's the voting and what happens if one of the participants says they cant vote because of a tech glitch or whatever. That would probably render the whole voting process null and void. Thinking back to the eVoting machines debacle:(

Do you limit the votes to those who attend the virtual meeting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

The Zoom bit could be the easy bit. It's the voting and what happens if one of the participants says they cant vote because of a tech glitch or whatever. That would probably render the whole voting process null and void. Thinking back to the eVoting machines debacle:(

Every member is entitled to a vote, so send it by post and provide a closing date. Most clubs will just have the same people run as normal and rarely a need for a vote. I think it’s 20 years since we need a vote.

On motions I always believe all members should have the right to vote even if not present, same as any company AGM where they receive motions in the post prior to the meeting.

Honestly, stop over thinking it and making it to complicated.

If you get one dick moaning about it, tell him to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Use teams as opposed to zoom. It's more secure. My local soccer team had an AGM in July. You had to pre register the week the week before with a deadline of Friday for a Sunday AGM. An hour before start, the link was emailed out. Over 200 in attendance. Quicker than a normal one. I don't want to go back to the days of sitting in a hotel function room when I can do it from my couch.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

I think golf clubs will be getting away scot free this year with the probability of no gatherings for agm as over zoom you won't be able to debate issues like a normal agm

• Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Planning to limit it to 20 people in the clubhouse and then the rest will join in over zoom. Hopefully they allow the 20 most vocal people to attend

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Rikand wrote: »
    Planning to limit it to 20 people in the clubhouse and then the rest will join in over zoom. Hopefully they allow the 20 most vocal people to attend

Under level 3 restrictions doesn't look like you can have anybody gathered in a function room.

FROM GOV.IE

Organised indoor gatherings
    These are controlled environments with a named event organiser, owner or manager.

For example: business, training events, conferences, events in theatres and cinemas or other arts events (excluding sport).

No organised indoor gatherings should take place.

All AGMS will have to be virtual.

Use teams as opposed to zoom. It's more secure. My local soccer team had an AGM in July. You had to pre register the week the week before with a deadline of Friday for a Sunday AGM. An hour before start, the link was emailed out. Over 200 in attendance. Quicker than a normal one. I don't want to go back to the days of sitting in a hotel function room when I can do it from my couch.

Thanks for that. I like the pre-register bit. This could be a constructive change for golf clubs. I've been in two clubs and normally the only ones who turn up for AGMs are the more mature members. I would hazard a guess that a virtual meeting might change the profile of attendance, and hopefully get more involved. What did ye do about voting ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Thanks for that. I like the pre-register bit. This could be a constructive change for golf clubs. I've been in two clubs and normally the only ones who turn up for AGMs are the more mature members. I would hazard a guess that a virtual meeting might change the profile of attendance, and hopefully get more involved. What did ye do about voting ?
    Pretty sure that webex allows the creation of polls which could be used for taking votes

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Might be difficult to get a quorum virtually, we often struggled in the past to get one, unless there was something controversial being discussed!

GreeBo wrote: »
    Might be difficult to get a quorum virtually, we often struggled in the past to get one, unless there was something controversial being discussed!
    True - we're i nthe same boat. Mens section struggle for quorum, but the club agm normally gets a full house. Put motion forward for 10% increase in subs should grab their attention:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Polls and there was an independent person present for the meeting so that all was above board regarding vote counting etc. The attendance was larger for the virtual meeting than the normal one.
    Regarding questions, they were to be typed into the chat at the end of each segment and one person asked them on behalf of everyone. All questions asked were answered. I observed that the quiet people contributed more than they would normally which improved it.

Polls and there was an independent person present for the meeting so that all was above board regarding vote counting etc. The attendance was larger for the virtual meeting than the normal one.
    Regarding questions, they were to be typed into the chat at the end of each segment and one person asked them on behalf of everyone. All questions asked were answered. I observed that the quiet people contributed more than they would normally which improved it.
    Thats interesting that it was better attended and the silent majority had more of a voice. i reckon there could be a different dynamic with a different profile of membership attending. That could possibly even more so with a golf club as the membership profile is probably different to football club demographically speaking.

Advertisement