Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Company offering buyback of excess

• 06-10-2020 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭

Heard a few people mention this, and then spotted an ad on Facebook today.

Presumably we can't name the company? Although I've asked repeatedly for Mods to clarify the rules on this.

Anyway, here's their waffle. Regardless of whether they're legit on the buy back issue, their prices are extortionate for installs.
    It's official, ***** is the FIRST, and ONLY solar company buying back your excess electricity!

Not only this, but we believe in putting our money where our mouth is.
    If the system we install for you can't save you AT LEAST 50%, we will pay you the difference.
    That's how confident we are

We are also now offering finance on all our systems, with some packages as low as 180 a month, BEFORE savings.

We also discuss many problems solar panels can cause, and how to avoid them. There will be a lot of important questions to ask
    any solar installers you work with, and we are happy to tell you them, and answer them for you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭idc

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Heard a few people mention this, and then spotted an ad on Facebook today.

Presumably we can't name the company? Although I've asked repeatedly for Mods to clarify the rules on this.

Anyway, here's their waffle. Regardless of whether they're legit on the buy back issue, their prices are extortionate for installs.

Would be great to hear from anyone who has signed up what the deal is. Of the few people I pm'ed about the company who told me they were offering buyback no one signed up due to the cost!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

A few people asked for prices on the Facebook page and were given absolutely mental numbers.

Fella asked for 6kwp and a 9kWh battery. Now that's an unusually big battery and they did point that out, but they also quoted him €13.5k AFTER grant! My installer would have been below €10k for the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

A lot of people over there seem to overpay for stuff. Sure if you're an installer and you can get away with charging that, you might as well :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

unkel wrote: »
    A lot of people over there seem to overpay for stuff. Sure if you're an installer and you can get away with charging that, you might as well :D
    Overpay and then offer a feed in rate.. that's prob only worth 200 euro

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Now that's an unusually big battery and they did point

Is it? A battery is for power without wires or utility. Most people use 10kWh per day. I would want a battery to last a week at least.

Now if you didn't need a battery or were just using it to increase the system losses anything would tick the box I suppose.

100kWh usable is a big battery

Now why in the name of Gawd would you want a battery if you were getting paid for export?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Is it?

I didn't say that a 10kWh battery was a bad idea, just that relative to the average in the country, its unusually big.

I'd love to have that much, and if I got my paws on second hand batteries I'd snap them up. But at full retail cost, even UK import, they're too expensive to make financial sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Now if you didn't need a battery or were just using it to increase the system losses anything would tick the box I suppose.

The only rational reason anyone getting an install through the SEAI grants scheme is getting a battery, is to avail of the ridiculous extra subsidy you get when you install a battery. Any battery. So to minimise the pay back period of your grant install, the only rational battery to go for is the cheapest one you can get.

60kWh is a small battery for a house this is why all the grey beards are laughing at li-ion pricing. 2kWh is a small campervan battery.

If they're fitting batteries then the cost of the power at least triples and the export dives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Are you aware that there is no payment for exporting to the grid in Ireland?

• Advertisement

It's like buying a shyte product with a warranty. The cost of the replacement is built into the initial price. If the buyer doesn't use it or loses the receipt then clean getaway.

70% of the consumer manufacturing market behaves like this.

Advertisement