Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

European Equivalent to VEQT?

• 02-10-2020 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭

Howdy :) I'm Irish but based in Canada and have most of my portfolio invested in broad market ETFs in Canada, mainly the Canadian versions of the US ETFs (VTI, XIC, VEA and VWO).

When I started, I was mainly investing in the Canadian version of Vanguards VEQT. I'm trying to help my brother set his up with something similar to VEQT, to start, so he gets a feel for it before I get into optomising it further for him. He's in Ireland and has just opened an account with DeGiro.

Does DeGiro have a European version of VEQT that I could get him started with? Even if not exactly that, something silimar that would get him broad exposure to global equities (no bonds). Thanks for the help :)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Does DeGiro have a European version of VEQT that I could get him started with? Even if not exactly that, something silimar that would get him broad exposure to global equities (no bonds). Thanks for the help :)

Well leaving aside the tax issues... VEQT does not give you a broad exposure to equities, on top of which it appears to be a fund of funds with little or no performance history and not even tracking a composite benchmark. I would recommend it to anyone with an objective of getting a broad exposure to world equities.

He should probably be looking at some kind of trust to avoid tax issues and in doing so should look carefully at the allocations in terms on geography, sector and capitalization.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

What tax issues do you mean? Sorry, I'm out of the loop with Irish tax laws in recent years. Do you have a suggestion for a one-stop-shop type ETF that he can put money into regularly that would give him the diversification across the world?

You're right, VEQT isn't perfect and I think it's allocation to Canada is far too high, especially since it's mainly financials and oil, but for simplicity sake, it's a decent starting point for someone starting off and getting comfortable with investing. Better than keeping it sitting in a bank account anyway. Starting off, it's probably best to keep it simple so it doesn't scare him off

Advertisement