Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Next%- the ongoing debate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Rossi7

Stop speaking sense Ariana, it's frowned upon around these waters

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

OOnegative wrote: »
    I was being sarcastic, something that doesn’t really come across on Boards.

Apologies, my bad! I thought it was unusual of you to post sh*t like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I have them in a rotation of 4 different runners and damn it feels good on Vaporfly day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Apologies, my bad! I thought it was unusual of you to post sh*t like that!

it was obvious to me from very early on that Kipchoge wasnt right. At his best he seems to float and his upper body is almost completely still. Yesterday there was a lot of effort going in and he seemed to be digging early on. I still thought he'd have enough to win. Off day, nothing more and probably the best race ever to have an off day. Incredible that what was the world record when I started running is now a very bad day for the top guys. It demonstrates 2 things very clearly 1. marathon running standards have reached a barely believable level 2. I'm old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭Duanington

Each to their own, if someone wants to spend a few quid to get a better time or position that is relevant to their previous levels, fair play to them.

I picked up a pair earlier this year, ran a pretty fast tempo in them but hated the feel of them and found they aggravated a back problem I have. I think I've worn them once since then.

I've no interest in them, not out of principal, simply because I don't enjoy running in them. I prefer to have a bit of contact with the surface I'm running on but that's a personal thing.

They're here to stay though, at some stage, there'll be as many shoes with carbon plates as without in a year or 2.

If someone goes and breaks 24 minutes for the first time over 5k... and does it while wearing a pair, they've broken 24 minutes and nobody can or should take that away from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭iancairns

Marty Bird wrote: »
    I wonder would that be down to the route and expected conditions ? I have read some reviews the Alphas are not the best on corners. I haven’t ran in the Alphas yet but had a run today in the Vapours what a shoe.

I have both Vapors from last year the Alpha's this year.

Alpha's are far more stable on corners than the Vapors.

Alpha's are chunkier with extra weight. I am training for the Dublin Virtual and covered 20miles in them yesterday and never felt as good at mile 20 as I did yesterday in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Duanington wrote: »
    I picked up a pair earlier this year, ran a pretty fast tempo in them but hated the feel of them and found they aggravated a back problem I have. I think I've worn them once since then.

So eh, DD, what size are you? :):):)

ill give you 100e for size 11

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I wouldn't disagree with points made above. I just don't really see how general mid packers (myself included) are somehow disadvantaged without them. Don't get me wrong. As soon as I can, I'll buy a pair (maybe not the Nikes) but it'll be purely for me, not because I feel like I can't compete.

healy1835 wrote: »
    So eh, DD, what size are you? :):):)

ha ha - Size 10 but they actually found a home this weekend...sorry :(

• Advertisement

I wouldn't disagree with points made above. I just don't really see how general mid packers (myself included) are somehow disadvantaged without them. Don't get me wrong. As soon as I can, I'll buy a pair (maybe not the Nikes) but it'll be purely for me, not because I feel like I can't compete.

I suppose it depends on what your aims are...competing against others around you? You're probably at a disadvantage, they're more likely to be wearing them.

Competing against yourself? No issue then

Running a race to run hard and get that "race feeling", no issue

Duanington wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on what your aims are...competing against others around you? You're probably at a disadvantage, they're more likely to be wearing them.

Competing against yourself? No issue then

Running a race to run hard and get that "race feeling", no issue

I'm somewhat biased too by two friends of mine who have no issue having ten pints and chipper every weekend and then swear they're disadvantaged if they dont have the shoes.......really tho?

im cranky today - don't mind me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Rossi7

Can't really see the problem with someone who wants to wear an elite pair of running shoes the same way a pub league footballer wants to wear a pair of predator or €200 pair of football boots.

I'm somewhat biased too by two friends of mine who have no issue having ten pints and chipper every weekend and then swear they're disadvantaged if they dont have the shoes.......really tho?

im cranky today - don't mind me :pac:

lol - I know a few people like that myself

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Can't really see the problem with someone who wants to wear an elite pair of running shoes the same way a pub league footballer wants to wear a pair of predator or €200 pair of football boots.

I don't see a problem with anyone wearing them. Each to their own. My problem is people insisting they have no choice but to wear them.

I wouldn't disagree with your predator boots example either. Or the 20 stone lads spending 5 grand on an ultra light race bike. Each to their own but don't say you have no choice...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I am enjoying reeling in my Strava segments that I smashed last year with Next% with my Hoka Cliftons this year. The unreal times I posted last year in Next% have now been wittled away in the past few weeks wearing nothing but Hoka Cliftons and all the training.

Having said that if I now stuck on the Next% fair to say I would push down the times again. Back to the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Did Scullion wear the Nikes on Sunday - I seen a photo but couldn't make out if they were a Next%, an Alphafly or an UA prototype.

He hadn't got them blacked out like normal.

btw - not knocking his performance - just asking a question.
    His time was faster than his previous few marathons when he did wear nikes - so his training is obviously improving his performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Did Scullion wear the Nikes on Sunday - I seen a photo but couldn't make out if they were a Next%, an Alphafly or an UA prototype.

His time was faster than his previous few marathons when he did wear nikes - so his training is obviously improving his performance.

https://images.app.goo.gl/MZm2QkbxVaxgBAeY6

White Next%?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

OOnegative wrote: »

They're a pair of the 'Next% By You'. Were online briefly last month. You were basically able to customise colours and get the Next% midsole with the Vaporfly Flyknit upper etc. He got a white pair and a pack of black Sharpies i think :)

They were Nike alright, I actually thought they were Alphas with some creative colouring in done

• Advertisement

it must be a great boost for guys like that who never wear them and then just rock them on marathon day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

The mens top three shoes in London

1 Vaporfly next %
    2 Adios Adizero pro
    3 Vaporfly Next %

The womens top three shoes

1 Alphafly Next %
    2 Asics prototype
    3 Alphafly Next %

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I thought the last version of rules for these specifically ruled out prototypes?

adrian522 wrote: »
    I thought the last version of rules for these specifically ruled out prototypes?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CF-OHu-H0HX/?igshid=pli11gtvg6ls

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

healy1835 wrote: »
    They're a pair of the 'Next% By You'. Were online briefly last month. You were basically able to customise colours and get the Next% midsole with the Vaporfly Flyknit upper etc. He got a white pair and a pack of black Sharpies i think :)

I am confused. So how are next% different to vaporfly?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

MY BAD wrote: »

Thanks. The regulation of all this is a complete mess.

I am confused. So how are next% different to vaporfly?
    Alphafly Next%
    Vaporfly Next%
    Vaporfly 4%

Three different shoes
    You could get the Zoomfly FK or Vaporfly 4% FK upper on your Vaporflys Next% using the Nike by you service

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Don't think Nike will be happy with this pic doing the rounds of Cheptegei during his 10000m run

Don't think Nike will be happy with this pic doing the rounds of Cheptegei during his 10000m run
    He better go to Elverys and get some insoles for them :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Top 3 shoes in the world half marathon on Saturday. No Alphaflys

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGg3CN1nv4u/?igshid=s8ajmdg8frzx

Advertisement