Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Out of Season 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Jude13

Ditto, I am holding out though. (so far)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    Was only thinking to myself this morning on the drive in, that I never really listen to Christmas music before Christmas FM launches, but could really do with some today.

It's the 2nd time I've done it this year and I normally don't go near it until we are well into November but the dull morning mixed with uncertainty and the fact it's Monday all requires an uplift this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Got my fix yesterday so will hold off like Jude so can enjoy it even more when I next dip in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »
    It's the 2nd time I've done it this year and I normally don't go near it until we are well into November but the dull morning mixed with uncertainty and the fact it's Monday all requires an uplift this morning.

Flicking through the music channels on the TV yesterday and the christmas one came up, last christmas playing & I instantly turned it off, just felt wrong at the time. I can see myself giving in before the end of November though this year, & definitely at some stage on my days working from home.

Which reminds me, need to get a little tree & some lights for my home office. 100% doing that up christmas style this year. Especially if I'll be continuing to work from home at least 2 days a week.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Which reminds me, need to get a little tree & some lights for my home office. 100% doing that up christmas style this year. Especially if I'll be continuing to work from home at least 2 days a week.

I really want to do up my home office too with lights the whole lot.

As it stands I'm due back in the office Monday once level 3 restrictions are lifted in Dublin. As they are only originally meant to be in place for 3 weeks.

• Advertisement

As it stands I'm due back in the office Monday once level 3 restrictions are lifted in Dublin. As they are only originally meant to be in place for 3 weeks.

Cant see that happening loughc, with level 4 at best likely to be brought in this week I'd be amazed if they'd decide to bring ye back in with stricter restrictions in place. Think we'll be living with restrictions to christmas & beyond in reality so you may be staying home for a few more months yet.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

My home 'office' is the landing so no decorations for me. My boss is currently out with covid, he was very ill for 24 hours, then grand. The thing is he wasnt in the office so we are all still in, with social distancing of course.

Jude13 wrote: »
    My home 'office' is the landing so no decorations for me. My boss is currently out with covid, he was very ill for 24 hours, then grand. The thing is he wasnt in the office so we are all still in, with social distancing of course.

Are you not deemed to be a close contact of your boss?

He was dossing/wfh for the past two weeks.

We were told awhile ago that would be WFH full time till Christmas. Boss said on a call Friday that could be well into the New Year as well. Doesn't bother me at all and am happy to stay at home for as long as it takes. I know this doesn't work for everyone so consider myself v lucky that it does for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭pigtail33

TRS30 wrote: »
    We were told awhile ago that would be WFH full time till Christmas. Boss said on a call Friday that could be well into the New Year as well. Doesn't bother me at all and am happy to stay at home for as long as it takes. I know this doesn't work for everyone so consider myself v lucky that it does for me.

Similar here, our office were fairly pro-active and told us back in June that we'd be at home for at least the rest of the year. I can see that being extended to next summer though. I always decorate my desk when in the office, and that is not going to change just because I am WFH! All my desk decorations are in the office though, and I haven't been in there since March.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm deemed 'essential', so no wfh for me, no matter what level it is!

People panic queuing this afternoon at Smyths Toys, in the wake of NPHET's concerns. The madness of lockdown is returning!

As much as I prefer working in the office, I must admit looking back I really enjoyed working fully from home between March & Mid June, my current arrangements of splitting my days between home & office are the worst of both worlds though, would prefer full time in one or the other as between site visits, home & office I'm a bit lost for routine at the moment.

As I think I mentioned here before, I suspect I'll look back at the 3 months of lockdown as a positive time for us as a family as we got to spend so much time together as just the 4 of us with no distractions outside of work. Hand on heart, if offered to the chance to WFH until after christmas I'd definitely take it & decorate my office for the most wonderful time of the year!

pigtail33 wrote: »
    Similar here, our office were fairly pro-active and told us back in June that we'd be at home for at least the rest of the year. I can see that being extended to next summer though. I always decorate my desk when in the office, and that is not going to change just because I am WFH! All my desk decorations are in the office though, and I haven't been in there since March.

The Christmas decorations for our area of the office are kept in the cupboard beside me so I'm always involved in putting them up. We have built up quite the collection over the last few years as different people have brought stuff in from home or gone out and got some lights, tinsel etc.

While I miss that, going into the office on first day back in January and having to take everything down (couldn't listen to all the moaning when I would say they are good till the 6th!) was horrible :(
    As much as I prefer working in the office, I must admit looking back I really enjoyed working fully from home between March & Mid June, my current arrangements of splitting my days between home & office are the worst of both worlds though, would prefer full time in one or the other as between site visits, home & office I'm a bit lost for routine at the moment.

As I think I mentioned here before, I suspect I'll look back at the 3 months of lockdown as a positive time for us as a family as we got to spend so much time together as just the 4 of us with no distractions outside of work. Hand on heart, if offered to the chance to WFH until after christmas I'd definitely take it & decorate my office for the most wonderful time of the year!

I can imagine DvB, I definitely consider myself lucky that was 100% one or the other and looks like that will continue for some time. The time will come when I do have to go back to the office and could end up splitting time between the two however hopefully I will be able to pick the days so can get a routine going.

Will definitely be putting decorations up in my attic 'office' :)

We need to take pics of these decorated offices and put them up in the 'show us your trees' thread or suchlike... if nothing else it might give us a few ideas!!

We need to take pics of these decorated offices and put them up in the 'show us your trees' thread or suchlike... if nothing else it might give us a few ideas!!

Can definitely see this being 'a thing' for Christmas 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

My office last year looked like a tacky santa's grotto it was fantastic. The managers put money in and let a few of us run riot in tiger/pound shops/stalls on henry street. It really lifts the spirit. I work in Dublin castle so we had the market too which had a love festive feeling.

I've been working in my bedroom since March and think I'll have to stick up a few little lights and maybe a tiny desk tree to mark the season.
    It'll be far too gloomy otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I am currently splitting my time between my office and WFH.

When I WFH my office is either the kitchen or the living room depending on how I feel - both will be suitable decorated anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Christmas lights installed in Oxford Street

EjZ3z7PWoAEGW_O?format=jpg&name=small

EjT4URDXYAIH17t?format=jpg&name=small

EjOfhIeWoAAR3_I?format=jpg&name=small

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Ooooooooh.

Got an email from oldest's school to say they were templates in bags today to design their own Christmas cards. You can order them and then the school are going to get them printed as a fund raiser. I think it's a great idea and definitely going to use some for cards for family this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Got an email from oldest's school to say they were templates in bags today to design their own Christmas cards. You can order them and then the school are going to get them printed as a fund raiser. I think it's a great idea and definitely going to use some for cards for family this year.

I was only thinking of this the other day wondering if the schools will do them They will go down a treat
    Especially if parents can't get to see any Christmas school nativity

SarahLil wrote: »
    I was only thinking of this the other day wondering if the schools will do them They will go down a treat
    Especially if parents can't get to see any Christmas school nativity

Yes, can't see any carol service this year unfortunately. Use to follow it up with tea/coffee and cake in the school hall after. Was the Friday before Christmas so lots of people finished up work so atmosphere was brilliant :(

Our school has done this a few times, we always get them too, they're great for sending out & I like the idea of supporting their school too.

Our school has done this a few times, we always get them too, they're great for sending out & I like the idea of supporting their school too.

They didn't do it last year so hopefully this year is not a one off and they will continue it, for all the reasons you mentioned.

They didn't do it last year so hopefully this year is not a one off and they will continue it, for all the reasons you mentioned.

Do keep any designs they do though, we stuck 1 of each in their memories box.

So in the mood for some Christmas music... but not anything high tempo... I'm not ready for Slade, Mariah Carey or The Pogues so in order to scratch that itch I'm listening to slowed down covers of some Christmas classics, like FTONY by Gavin James, Silent Night by Sinead O'Connor, stuff like that.

Listening to some traditional carols as well. Hits the spot but won't be the stuff I'll listen to when the season is upon us.

So in the mood for some Christmas music... but not anything high tempo... I'm not ready for Slade, Mariah Carey or The Pogues so in order to scratch that itch I'm listening to slowed down covers of some Christmas classics, like FTONY by Gavin James, Silent Night by Sinead O'Connor, stuff like that.

Listening to some traditional carols as well. Hits the spot but won't be the stuff I'll listen to when the season is upon us.

Where you getting the carols from? none of the playlists I have for carols have too many of the classic recognisable ones.

• Advertisement

Where you getting the carols from? none of the playlists I have for carols have too many of the classic recognisable ones.

Apple Music have a playlist called classic Christmas carols.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement