Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The hills across the bay?

Options
  • 03-10-2020 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭

Speaking of the prom.

Does anybody know the name of the hills opposite Salthill. I think they are the Clare hills, but any specific name on them as there are a number of them.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

obi604 wrote: »
    Speaking of the prom.

Does anybody know the name of the hills opposite Salthill. I think they are the Clare hills, but any specific name on them as there are a number of them.

America.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Speaking of the prom.

Burren mountains

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved out from unrelated thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭obi604

biko wrote: »
    Moved out from unrelated thread.

Thanks. Does anybody know if these are climbable?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you can see them, it's going to rain.

• Advertisement

They're not exactly a climbing challenge... but well worth a ramble.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=the+burren&t=brave&iax=images&ia=images

They're not exactly a climbing challenge... but well worth a ramble.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=the+burren&t=brave&iax=images&ia=images

Thanks. Still don’t know what town or village or place to park at to even start the ramble.

Or can you even do this as may need to go across private land to access etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

Thanks. Still don’t know what town or village or place to park at to even start the ramble.

Or can you even do this as may need to go across private land to access etc.

There's the Black Head loop walk which would be the furthest point out you can see when looking across the bay.

Also, there is a trail walk which starts from here.

Have a look on Google as there are a few walking sites which give the details on them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

:D Is that a thing?

Within a certain timeframe? Because it's bound to rain sometime.

During lockdown there was a patch of 3 or 4 days of a clear view, but perhaps an anomaly. Love to know the reason if it is an actual saying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

.................. and if you can't see them its already raining :D

Wake me up when it's all over.

inisboffin wrote: »
    :D Is that a thing?

Within a certain timeframe? Because it's bound to rain sometime.

During lockdown there was a patch of 3 or 4 days of a clear view, but perhaps an anomaly. Love to know the reason if it is an actual saying!

Its a saying all over the world for different locations. I used to live near Portsmouth in the UK where you can see across the Solent to the Isle of Wight and guess what? There was a local saying if you can see the Isle of Wight its going to rain and if you can't see it thats because its already raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

DVDM93 wrote: »
    America.

Used to think it was as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

DVDM93 wrote: »
    America.
    Its a saying all over the world for different locations. I used to live near Portsmouth in the UK where you can see across the Solent to the Isle of Wight and guess what? There was a local saying if you can see the Isle of Wight its going to rain and if you can't see it thats because its already raining.
    On certain days out west past Spiddal you can see Mount Brandon in Kerry. Times past, the locals knew it as Oileann na Siog (fairy island).

Ah ok. :p

I thought it was an actual thing that I had somehow never heard, like in parts of the country, a mist would signify a weather pattern depending on what side of the mountain you are, and actually be useful!

inisboffin wrote: »
    Ah ok. :p

I thought it was an actual thing that I had somehow never heard, like in parts of the country, a mist would signify a weather pattern depending on what side of the mountain you are, and actually be useful!

Some of those things are fairly accurate some are just a joke about the weather.

In some places good guesses can be made about the weather from what can be seen in the distance and over mountains. A lot of our weather is brought in from the South West and follows a pattern so I'm sure it can be an actual thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Galway-from-Tipp.jpg

This was taken from Tipperary, southern end of Lough Derg. Below the clouds are mountains in Connemara, and the lighter streak below them is Galway bay. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Hy Brasil

• Registered Users Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Used to think it was as a kid.

I was convinced they were the Aran Islands when I was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I was in Salthill playground a few years ago when a tourist asked me for directions to the Cliffs of Moher. It was about 4pm and it sounded like he wanted to bring the family there before dinner. The look on his face when I pointed across the bay to the furthest point of land and said “there they are!” Bless him.

To return to the OP you can do a lovely drive along the coast road to Doolin and see the view from the opposite side. There’s a path from Doolin to the Cliffs and beyond to liscanor which gives views of one the islands (?Inishboffin if I remember correctly).

• Advertisement

Some of those things are fairly accurate some are just a joke about the weather.

In some places good guesses can be made about the weather from what can be seen in the distance and over mountains. A lot of our weather is brought in from the South West and follows a pattern so I'm sure it can be an actual thing.

I think that's what I said? :pac:

thanks. is there a specific name on these hills?
    see below image, I presume the hills highlighted in yellow below are what one can see mainly from salthill...................but they don't seem to have a name, and not sure how you access the climbing of them or where to park etc

https://ibb.co/7tzVLYW

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

thanks. is there a specific name on these hills?
    see below image, I presume the hills highlighted in yellow below are what one can see mainly from salthill...................but they don't seem to have a name, and not sure how you access the climbing of them or where to park etc

https://ibb.co/7tzVLYW

Gleninagh, Doughbranneen & Cappanawalla

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I was in Salthill playground a few years ago when a tourist asked me for directions to the Cliffs of Moher. It was about 4pm and it sounded like he wanted to bring the family there before dinner. The look on his face when I pointed across the bay to the furthest point of land and said “there they are!” Bless him.

To return to the OP you can do a lovely drive along the coast road to Doolin and see the view from the opposite side. There’s a path from Doolin to the Cliffs and beyond to liscanor which gives views of one the islands (?Inishboffin if I remember correctly).

Inisheer Inishboffin is further North past Clifden

Advertisement