Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cineworld Shutting Down

• 04-10-2020 4:58am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Cineworld has announced they are shutting all their cinemas down. I didn’t care much for Bond but Dune is a film I’m excited for

I think the article is right, we will see more of this, perhaps we are passed the point of no return

Big blow for cinema

https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/3/21500538/regal-cineworld-theaters-shut-down-james-bond-us-uk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Not permanent? Says they will reopen next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Is the only one in Ireland on parnell street? Or are there more?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

A shut cinema only has rent to pay. Better than running at a loss, and all the more so if a deal with the landlord can be done. There's every chance most or all of them will reopen - they're profitable businesses in normal times - unless some landlord is greedy enough (or sufficiently under pressure of a mortgage) to force them under in the hopes they'll be sold as a going concern. I feel sorry for the employees though. Even with covid payments, this has to be a nervous time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Delta2113

The experience is over rated except for kids. You are basically watching Tv on a big screen. Add in idiots on phones,talking and somebody eating a burger king behind you and I'm happy at home watching film on a 43 inch Tv.

Even if some close - some will re-open when everything settles down. We will always have Cinema - might even go to see Bond when it comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Delta2113 wrote: »
    The experience is over rated except for kids. You are basically watching Tv on a big screen. Add in idiots on phones,talking and somebody eating a burger king behind you and I'm happy at home watching film on a 43 inch Tv.

Even if some close - some will re-open when everything settles down. We will always have Cinema - might even go to see Bond when it comes out.

Rubbish, nothing beats watching it on the big screen. Nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Why are Dublin cinemas closed at the moment? The current restrictions allow for "Museums, galleries and other cultural attractions" to remain open provided the usual precautions are taken. Do cinemas not fall into this category?

There are ways to avoid the phone idiots and other anti-social numbties. Most cinemas have early morning showings. Your average knuckle dragger doesn't get out of bed before the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

RasTa wrote: »
    Rubbish, nothing beats watching it on the big screen. Nothing.

If you have a big screen at home it's pretty good substitute.. recently bought a projector and setup 5.1. projecting at 90 inches and it's decent

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Everlong1 wrote: »
    Why are Dublin cinemas closed at the moment? The current restrictions allow for "Museums, galleries and other cultural attractions" to remain open provided the usual precautions are taken. Do cinemas not fall into this category?

Dublin is level three, which doesn’t allow for any of the above to remain open.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Everlong1 wrote: »

Phase 3 (which Dublin is in) means those are all closed.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ad569-level-3/#museums-galleries-and-other-cultural-attractions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Very sad news for Dublin City which is being hollowed out by Covid and governments knee jerk response to it. Obviously awful news for staff too. Been going there since it was Virgin cinema, which was a big step up from the outdated cinemas on offer in the city at the time like the Savoy on OCS or Screen on D'Olier Street etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Very sad news for Dublin City which is being hollowed out by Covid and governments knee jerk response to it. Obviously awful news for staff too. Been going there since it was Virgin cinema, which was a big step up from the outdated cinemas on offer in the city at the time like the Savoy on OCS or Screen on D'Olier Street etc.

Ye Virgin Cinema was good. I loved it. Go in watch a film and have some lovely Hagen Daz ice cream too. Then Cineworld came along and it was ok for a while but when they changed screen 17 to a fake Max screen I stopped going there regularly and sad as it is if it were not to open again I would not miss it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Mr.S wrote: »
    I guess the risk is they don't know when next year.

They won't be the last group / independent to close and wouldn't be surprised if a few never re-open.

Hopefully a few stay open and make a decent attempt at second screenings that goes beyond LOTR, Harry Potter and Batman. With some good thinking, cinemas could have a decent program.

Restrictions permitting, I'd happily go see see previously realised films (especially ones I missed the first time). Charge a €5 to get people in and then make money on food / drink.

I'd agree with that. I'd happily pay €5 to see something like "Sorcerer" or "Apocalypse now" on the big screen. Lots of potential for cinemas to screen movies a lot of people never got to see first time round.

tunguska wrote: »
    I'd agree with that. I'd happily pay €5 to something like "Sorcerer" or "Apocalypse now" on the big screen. Lots of potential for cinemas to screen movies a lot of people never got to see first time round.

I agree. Niche cinemas like the Lighthouse and the IFI sometimes do seasons of old movies and I love seeing these again on a big screen.

I'm old enough to remember the days when cinemas always showed double bills. Anyone here old enough to remember the Cameo in Abbey Street? In my teens I saw some great double bills there - Taxi Driver and Midnight Express was one - Quadrophenia and Scum was another. Imagine if they brought something like that back.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I ended up cancelling my Cineworld card over their handling of the last six months. In the UK, they gave staff almost no notice and sacked a whole bunch of them as soon as lockdown was announced, without waiting for the furlough scheme details. They then took staff back on once it was clear the government would cover most of the costs; then within the last week they once again let most staff find out via news outlets rather than management that the cinemas are closing down again. I have a lot of sympathy for affected staff, as they deserve better than this. (Look up Cineworld Action Group on Twitter if you're interested).

Shower of useless clowns, tbh. Yes, it's been a hard year for cinemas but that's just amateur hour management. The Odeon has managed to communicate changes to staff well in advance, by contrast.

(Also worth noting that under the ownership of Cineworld, the Picturehouse chain in the UK has gone from being a nice, interesting mix of indie/arthouse and mainstream to just another Cineworld mainstream cinema with a different name...)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Have good memories on Parnell Street, hopefully it won't be for good. The far reaching ramifications of what we're going through now is hard to fathom.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Kenpo

I saw a Romancing the Stone/Jewel in the Nile double bill in the Cameo (although in the wrong order) as well as a few others, such as The Secret of my Success.

Great little cinema...Thanks for reminding me Everlong1.

Have a lot of great memories in Cineworld. The first time I walked into the place, a staff member offered myself and a friend free tickets to Dog Soldiers ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭UI_Paddy

Like many here I have fond memories of the cinema here, in particular the Irish premiers of Force Awakens and Dragon Ball Super Broly.

I'm confident once this pandemic passes and especially when the MCU Phase Four, Star Wars High Republic and other upcoming Disney flicks come around multiplexes like these will make profits again.

As of now it's very unfortunate and I empathize with all who worked in these venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭bkrangle

I've had an unlimited card since 2002 - I would estimate that I have seen something in the region of 900-1,000 films in the Dublin Cineworld since then.

The clientele were sometimes annoying (more so in recent years) and the screens were shabby on occasion but overall the positives far outweighed the negatives. The location was fantastic for anyone working in the city centre, the unlimited card was great value, the range of films shown was generally good and I got to attend plenty of preview screenings. It's also worth mentioning that the staff were always friendly and helpful.

I was genuinely sad to hear that they were closing all the UK and Ireland cinemas. Admittedly, worse things are happening as a result of the pandemic but going to the cinema here was something I did regularly for a large part of my life. The city centre in general is bereft of things to do, particularly if you don't enjoy the pub culture. Cineworld offered a great place to meet friends or loved ones to unwind or escape, albeit fleetingly. I feel for the staff who are facing an uncertain future, I hope they can all find something to tide them over. Hopefully they will be back running in some capacity in the not too distant future.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,297 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

was there another cinema on Abbey St beside The Adelphi, possibly called The Lighthouse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭glomar

sounds like odean coolock

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Skerries wrote: »
    was there another cinema on Abbey St beside The Adelphi, possibly called The Lighthouse?

Light House used to be on Abbey Street but closed in 1996. Re-opened in Smithfield in 2008.

Advertisement