Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rabbits

• 01-10-2020 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

I am a part time farmer in Sligo but have no rabbits on our farm. I have been told one of my dogs would benefit from having rabbit in his diet due to health issues so I am looking for some rabbit hunting permission in Sligo Leitrim Roscommon Mayo, anywhere in the west I could travel to really. Send me a PM if you can help, or know anyone that can. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

garyc007 wrote: »
    I am a part time farmer in Sligo but have no rabbits on our farm. I have been told one of my dogs would benefit from having rabbit in his diet due to health issues so I am looking for some rabbit hunting permission in Sligo Leitrim Roscommon Mayo, anywhere in the west I could travel to really. Send me a PM if you can help, or know anyone that can. Thank you

If you could stretch to West Limerick I'd have enough of the baxters for 100 dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,201 ✭✭✭tanko

PoorFarmer wrote: »
    If you could stretch to West Limerick I'd have enough of the baxters for 100 dogs

That’s mad, haven’t seen a rabbit for years. I thought they had all been wiped out by myxomatosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

tanko wrote: »
    That’s mad, haven’t seen a rabbit for years. I thought they had all been wiped out by myxomatosis.

My part of Monaghan is the same, shot 100 in one night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Just get him some tripe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I can send you up a box or two, loads of the little feckers around here.

Nice few hares as well thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

A few breeding pairs wouldn't be long getting sick of them then

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

I paid 30 euro for 6 wild rabbits years ago, let them out of the bag in an old disused sandpit and never saw them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

No rabbits here for a long time, since
    myxomatosis. They are making a comeback since last year

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

I'm in North galway, I won't give you hunting permission but your welcome to any amount of shot rabbits you want. Never in mylife seen them as plentiful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

There's none here either but 3 miles down the road in the sand dunes there are thousands of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭garyc007

Thank you very much for some of the offers.

I have tripe along with many other meats for him but no rabbit - I would take a few breeding pairs no problem as suggested :)

In the long run I would like to get some permission of my own rather than pester someone else all the time, but I will PM to see what I can work out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,201 ✭✭✭tanko

There's none here either but 3 miles down the road in the sand dunes there are thousands of them.

Why hasn’t myxomatosis wiped them out i wonder like it has in many areas?

Why hasn’t myxomatosis wiped them out i wonder like it has in many areas?

Immunity in some areas? Spread of disease they reckon is the biggest issue. So if someone is in an area with disease and they travel to another they possibly bring it with them. So that tourist travel, animal movement, hunting etc hasn't helped unless the necessary precautions are taken. I read before of a tourist area they had introduced a foot wash in as they believed that was the sole reason for the spread, however most of the population had already died off

Nice few hares as well thankfully.

Thanks.
    We have hares alright, hopefully RHD doesn't get them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Thanks.
    We have hares alright, hopefully RHD doesn't get them

That's going to be a big problem in the very near future. When the shooting season starts later this month, there'll be loads of lads and dogs travelling far and near and are likely to spread it all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Grow up

What part of sligo are you in and did you get sorted?

Grow up wrote: »
    What part of sligo are you in and did you get sorted?

No not yet, sent you pm

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Grow up

Advertisement