Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Question about people with “no underlying conditions”

Options
  • 02-10-2020 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

The media love making a big deal about people who are said to have no underlying conditions and get very ill with covid, Rte are doing a feature about these people as scare tactics for the general population at the moment. But how do we know for sure these people have no underlying conditions? There are many illnesses you can have for years and years without having any symptoms. So are doctors sending these people for a multitude of tests to make sure they have no underlying conditions? I highly doubt it. It’s therefore very misleading in my opinion. These people should be referred to as having “no known underlying conditions.”

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Define “ underlying conditions?” Are we talking ingrown toenails ? Because I’d be one with underlying conditions like MS, asthma , arthritis on immuno- suppressant meds . I’m 52 , I’m full time work but am I a write off ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Harpon wrote: »
    The media love making a big deal about people who are said to have no underlying conditions and get very ill with covid, Rte are doing a feature about these people as scare tactics for the general population at the moment. But how do we know for sure these people have no underlying conditions? There are many illnesses you can have for years and years without having any symptoms. So are doctors sending these people for a multitude of tests to make sure they have no underlying conditions? I highly doubt it. It’s therefore very misleading in my opinion. These people should be referred to as having “no known underlying conditions.”

Yes, it's obviously individuals who are not known to have underlying conditions (but may). But on the balance of probabilities it is more likely than not that the comorbidities would have been picked up along the way. The truth of the matter is that young people with no underlying conditions are in danger of death - it is rare and it appears to have gotten rarer as the virus has mutated into something a little less lethal, but it is nonetheless a fact that should not be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Define “ underlying conditions?” Are we talking ingrown toenails ? Because I’d be one with underlying conditions like MS, asthma , arthritis on immuno- suppressant meds . I’m 52 , I’m full time work but am I a write off ?

If you look up the HSE high risk categories, you are up there but certainly not a write off. You should be erring on the side of caution more than regular folks though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If you look up the HSE high risk categories, you are up there but certainly not a write off. You should be erring on the side of caution more than regular folks though.

I’m a primary teacher , HSE say I’m high risk . Teacher OH says not . My social circle outside of work consists of my husband and my horse . We haven’t been out for a meal , much less holiday since February. Shopping wise , food every week at the most . No browsing for clothes / gifts etc in shops . I’ve been In service stations for petrol and a trip to Dunnes for possible hospital wear and cheap work clothes to wash and wear . Shoes off at the door , all door handles sprayed with bleach . Masks and visors
    Many health care professionals probably don’t take as many precautions as we do .

If I die from Covid , it won’t be from the conditions I have, it WILL be Covid . But will, no doubt allow people like the OP , disregard my death .

And let’s not forget , it’s not just about death. 85/ the long lasting / possibly permanent damage it does too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Harpon

I’m a primary teacher , HSE say I’m high risk . Teacher OH says not . My social circle outside of work consists of my husband and my horse . We haven’t been out for a meal , much less holiday since February. Shopping wise , food every week at the most . No browsing for clothes / gifts etc in shops . I’ve been In service stations for petrol and a trip to Dunnes for possible hospital wear and cheap work clothes to wash and wear . Shoes off at the door , all door handles sprayed with bleach . Masks and visors
    Many health care professionals probably don’t take as many precautions as we do .

If I die from Covid , it won’t be from the conditions I have, it WILL be Covid . But will, no doubt allow people like the OP , disregard my death .

And let’s not forget , it’s not just about death. 85/ the long lasting / possibly permanent damage it does too.

What has any of that got to do with this thread? Did you just read the thread title and make a big (and incorrect) assumption of what it was going to be about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

Covid is very good at making underlying conditions more noticeavble. Just noting a lot of media interview with covid survivor who went to ICU who say it has left then with hypertension and diabetes. While entirely plausible i'd say most of these had undiagnosed hypertension and diabetes before their COVId

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Harpon

But on the balance of probabilities it is more likely than not that the comorbidities would have been picked up along the way.

Why is it more likely than not they would have been picked up along the way? As I say, if they have no symptoms of any disease apart from covid it’s extremely unlikely these people are going to be sent for a full body health check, especially since they have covid, doctors will want them gone from the hospital ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

HSE staff that are assigned alternative work due to health reasons are usually those with blood cancers, strong immunosuppressive treatment or solid organ transplant recipients. Alot of what is thrown around is not high risk per se but slightly higher risk compared to healthy co-workers. Lots of healthcare workers are still working despite illness such as asthma or ischemic heart disease

A lot of the media and posters here revel in telling us that you’re as good as dead if you’re larger than a 28 inch waist so that must count as one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

Did someone tell you this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭plodder

The big question must be about hypertension (high blood pressure). It's widely believed that half of the population who have it it are undiagnosed. So, would they be "no underlying condition" or is it discovered and recorded in hospital?

And more than half of those who are diagnosed with it don't have it properly under control.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Covid is very good at making underlying conditions more noticeavble. Just noting a lot of media interview with covid survivor who went to ICU who say it has left then with hypertension and diabetes. While entirely plausible i'd say most of these had undiagnosed hypertension and diabetes before their COVId

Nothing undiagnosed. Covid can bring on diabetes in people. Covid attacks alot of organs including the pancreas. The pancreas makes insulin that helps to regulate blood glucose. So if the pancreas gets attacked by covid, it can bring on diabetes.

I really don't understand the thinking trying to find a reason that people must be unhealthy with covid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If RTE are featuring young and/or apparently healthy people then it's just because they are getting it too, as as such it's correct to show that.

I mean the OP wouldn't want a conspiracy of silence would he/she?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

It's a bit like Schrodinger's cat: You don't have it if you don't know about it until you do.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

There are many illnesses you can have for years and years without having any symptoms.

And guess what? Any of your ilk trying to dismiss the seriousness of this disease, could also have any of these so far undiagnosed conditions, yet be totally unaware. Potentially there you are, objecting to the virus being taken seriously, all the while unaware that you too have an illness that means Covid will hit you hard.

See, your "point" works both ways.:rolleyes:

Advertisement