Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Amazed by people buying new oil burners right now

• 02-10-2020 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭

Its as if the want to maximize their depreciation ahead of the electric avalanche
    Meanwhile, SIMI said that new car registrations for the month of September raced 66.3% higher to 5,685 when compared to September 2019 when 3,418 cars were registered. September also saw a huge jump in the number of electric vehicles registered with the numbers rising by 477% to 664 compared to 115 in September last year.

90% are legacy oil burners :eek:

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1001/1168707-simi-car-registration-figures/

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Why not, EV's are costly with huge limitations to those without home charging and the pubic charging infrastructure is appalling which further impacts range

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not everyone is drinking the EV juice yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

celtic_oz wrote: »
    Its as if the want to maximize their depreciation ahead of the electric avalanche

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1001/1168707-simi-car-registration-figures/

Whatever about buying an EV, or not, Diesel would be my last choice if I had to buy a fossil fuelled car.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭illumin

Whatever about buying an EV, or not, Diesel would be my last choice if I had to buy a fossil fuelled car.
    If you live in rural Ireland, not near any sort of public transport... I'm afraid it makes sense to a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

There's no short term cheap electric cars, there are loads of cheap petrol/diesel cars.

• Advertisement

illumin wrote: »
    If you live in rural Ireland, not near any sort of public transport... I'm afraid it makes sense to a lot of people.

I do. It still doesn't, to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's ok the greens will add €10k onto cars....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Ah cars are just 3yr disposable subscriptions these days (the planet is fooked), they come with a guaranteed return figure after the term is up. EVs are still properly expensive. Maybe in 3yrs they'll make more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The electrical vehicle tech is changing so fast now. You could be left with a worthless electric vehicle too. That no-one wants to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

100 euro on top of the road tax for diesel cars would probably sway a lot of people from diesel, and hint at it that next year will be the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

kanuseeme wrote: »
    100 euro on top of the road tax for diesel cars would probably sway a lot of people from diesel, and hint at it that next year will be the same.

Motor tax, €100 on top of €180 or €200 chape tax won't cause much fuss.

irishgeo wrote: »
    The electrical vehicle tech is changing so fast now. You could be left with a worthless electric vehicle too. That no-one wants to buy.

What tech is changing fast?

Battery tech? Nope, nothing new or revolutionary on the horizon.

Motor tech? Nope, still the same old electric motor as there ever has been.

The rest of the car is just, well, a car.

Looking forward to your information, maybe I missed something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭eagerv

theteal wrote: »
    Ah cars are just 3yr disposable subscriptions these days (the planet is fooked), they come with a guaranteed return figure after the term is up. EVs are still properly expensive. Maybe in 3yrs they'll make more sense.

Yes true to a certain extent, but so are petrol/diesel when new.

VW are pricing the ID.3 similar enough to an auto Golf Diesel from about €33K. (Or less when series production properly starts)

But I expect the total cost of ownership of the EV to be a lot less.

Granted it will take a while for more affordable second hand higher range EVs to filter down. But a car such as the Hyundai Ioniq would suit many average mileage (Or long commute) drivers. They can be got from around €18K with full warranty of around 2 years left. Plus a long battery warranty remaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭micks_address

i would have been all for a EV before covid.. my mileage was about 26k km per year... now im working for home and tracking about 6k km this year... im happy i bought petrol in February.. to get a similar size car in ev id have had to spent at least 10k more... makes no financial sense

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Was going to buy a 2015 leaf last year for around 15k
    Imported a 2016 Astra from for 7k cleared
    Money talks
    Plenty of these cars will be around for decades to come.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

theteal wrote: »

You do realise that after 3 years the car is sold on to another buyer, car's aren't scrapped at the end of a PCP. If too many cars enter the market as new, the price of second hand cars will reduce due to over supply, we're still importing a large number of second hand cars from the UK, which implies there are not enough new cars sold here to service the Irish demand for second hand vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,565 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

They should not be selling diesel cars in 2020, lack of education, a lot of older people will buy their diesel like they have done for past 30 years.

Small diesel cars should be banned, no need for a Golf diesel, a 1.0 tsi is faster and more refined.

You must have missed Tesla battery day

FaganJr wrote: »

Thanks for making my point. Tesla battery day is widely seen as more of the same, even by the Tesla fanbase.

Was there something there that I missed? Do tell.

• Advertisement

Was there something there that I missed? Do tell.

I took time out of my day to watch it, there were a number of new innovations.
    But I'm not here to feed you info.

I'll take it that you have no info to feed me then.

There were some proposed new battery chemistry changes. But nothing that I would call revolutionary.

Battery tech will evolve. Energy density and packaging solutions will emerge. But revolution? I just don't see it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

illumin wrote: »

I second Silent Runnings, Rural, and do at least 320km /week, can be up to 600, Saving a fortune on Fuel costs, Priced an auto Sportage at the same time as the e-niro, wasnt a huge difference. And we've already saved the difference in fuel+tax.
    Small diesel cars should be banned, no need for a Golf diesel, a 1.0 tsi is faster and more refined.

Business's cant claim the VAT back on petrol, but thats a taxation issue

Nothing Revolutionary there, Different internal batteries, maybe denser packed. Nothing really will change on the user side.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭micks_address

i think it was mostly regarded as a let down.. followed by steep decline in tesla share price.. they are talking about a cheaper car in 3 years... nothing to write home about... a million mile battery which really means nothing... who's going to keep a car for a tenth of that...

Need to change that then so then can claim vat on petrol. Also need to make it that petrol is ALWAYS cheaper at the pumps than diesel.

I'll take it that you have no info to feed me then.

OK mate 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

What tech is changing fast?

Motor tech? Nope, still the same old electric motor as there ever has been.

The rest of the car is just, well, a car.

Looking forward to your information, maybe I missed something.

Don't forget your 7 year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭blackbox

celtic_oz wrote: »

I don't have access to the data myself, but the figure of 90% that you use must include petrol and hybrid cars, so I suspect the proportion of oil burners (diesels) is closer to 45%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

blackbox wrote: »
    I don't have access to the data myself, but the figure of 90% that you use must include petrol and hybrid cars, so I suspect the proportion of oil burners (diesels) is closer to 45%.

No as petrol is a byproduct of oil and hence is included in the class of oil burners.

Hybrids unless they are phevs get all their energy from fuel ( petrol = oil ) and thus are also oil burners ( whatever toyota say :rolleyes: )

I'll conceed phevs to round down to 85% are oil burners.

Was going to buy a 2015 leaf last year for around 15k
    Imported a 2016 Astra from for 7k cleared
    Money talks. Plenty of these cars will be around for decades to come.

Smart man, though this thread is about "Amazed by people buying new oil burners right now "

Why not, EV's are costly with huge limitations to those without home charging and the pubic charging infrastructure is appalling which further impacts range

Nothing new here .. just amazed people dont wait or buy second hand to limit their exposure.
    Not everyone is drinking the EV juice yet

YET, indeed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

i would have been all for a EV before covid.. my mileage was about 26k km per year... now im working for home and tracking about 6k km this year... im happy i bought petrol in February.. to get a similar size car in ev id have had to spent at least 10k more... makes no financial sense

Very true

WFH has made a huge difference, know plenty of people that have became 1 car households now, no need for the 2nd car anymore

With WFH a €1,000 car will do me

Would love a quick EV like the ID3

Even if prices come down to €25,000 for a similar car in a few years it still won't make finacial sense for me, would just be me buying something nice for myself.

I spend about €20 a week on fuel now, i'll get a PS5 and get a copy of the new Gran Turismo to try out those cars instead :pac:

Advertisement