Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Trainee Pay

• 01-10-2020 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi folks. Is there any other allowance or other way to earn more money while in Templemore for 32 weeks. 184 per week seems not enough if you have a kid and a mortgage. Thanks

Comments

Not if you want to finish training but remember, they do feed you. You can live pretty frugal if you need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 croat

Not if you want to finish training but remember, they do feed you. You can live pretty frugal if you need to.

I thought that there's some kind of help, financial aid or something else. Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Better paid than all other students, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭walshtipp

endacl wrote: »

Not better paid than most apprenticeships.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

walshtipp wrote: »
    A first year apprentice would be on slightly more with no food or lodge

• Advertisement

croat wrote: »
    I thought that there's some kind of help, financial aid or something else. Thanks anyway.

Loans that need to be repaid. Don't fall into the trap.

Not really students though, trainees. The trainee money is on par with other trainee / apprentice positions more or less.

I can't think of any uniform job that doesn't pay trainee staff for their 40 hour week.

Besides the point though, the op asked about additional work to fund his family. What students do or don't get is irrelevant

Loans that need to be repaid. Don't fall into the trap.

How do you mean?

How do you mean?

Pretty simple. They give you a loan with little requirements. Yup sign up for medical insurance, this club, that club. All free while training. It's all gravy.

Then you graduate and all of a sudden you are committed to a sizeable amount of your pay going to these schemes and loans.

You don't need a brand new car, you don't need a fancy holiday, you don't need to have pints with the lads.

Head down, plough through and get out the other side.

Pretty simple. They give you a loan with little requirements. Yup sign up for medical insurance, this club, that club. All free while training. It's all gravy.

Then you graduate and all of a sudden you are committed to a sizeable amount of your pay going to these schemes and loans.

You don't need a brand new car, you don't need a fancy holiday, you don't need to have pints with the lads.

Head down, plough through and get out the other side.

Amen brother!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

If you have kids etc. talk to your Community Welfare officer and there may be help there depending on circumstances.

Witcher wrote: »
    If you have kids etc. talk to your Community Welfare officer and there may be help there depending on circumstances.

Thanks I will check that. I am.currently working as a welder fabricator and I want to change a career because I am concerned about long term exposure to that job. Dirty and deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭con747

Hi folks. Is there any other allowance or other way to earn more money while in Templemore for 32 weeks. 184 per week seems not enough if you have a kid and a mortgage. Thanks

Have a look here if it helps https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/family_income_supplement.html

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Why not train to be a guard and then when you have a job and an education it's a good time to buy a house and have a family

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

walshtipp wrote: »

It's not an apprenticeship though. Recruits are student gardaí, working towards a BA in Applied Policing. No other students receive food, lodgings, equipment and uniforms, plus a weekly income, as part of their studies.

It's not an apprenticeship though. Recruits are student gardaí, working towards a BA in Applied Policing. No other students receive food, lodgings, equipment and uniforms, plus a weekly income, as part of their studies.

yes they do, colleges are subsidised, thousands of students get grants. medical cards, travel passes. grants to cover rent, food and associated education costs.

Student Gardai are in reality training for a BA that allows them to work for the person training them only. Its a full 40 hour week with your bog standard 20 days leave a year (which is cut frequently for situations like Covid). Even Ryanair pay the trainees

They are subject to the full rules and regulations of their employer and have restrictions placed upon them that other students do not (like a bedtime). They can be pulled out of their training early and placed into their fulltime positions OR placed on 'assignment' that means they are working in stations but still only getting the training allowance.

student Gardai arent apprentices really, but they also arent normal students. They are closer to apprentices in my opinion.

Advertisement