Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tax incentives for Self employed buying EVs

• 30-09-2020 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,801 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, this could probably go in the taxation forum, but I'm wondering if anyone here has knowledge of this topic

I've seen that employees are able to claim a reduction in BIK for taxation when using an EV as a company vehicle.

Basically they can reduce the value of the car for BIK by €50k, so if the car costs less than €50k there's no tax impact, and the impact is significantly reduced for cars over that amount.

I'm wondering is there a similar incentive out there for the self employed? There's a lot of sole traders out there driving vans for example and with longer range electric vans becoming available it'd be interesting to see if there's much uptake

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Okay, this could probably go in the taxation forum, but I'm wondering if anyone here has knowledge of this topic

I've seen that employees are able to claim a reduction in BIK for taxation when using an EV as a company vehicle.

Basically they can reduce the value of the car for BIK by €50k, so if the car costs less than €50k there's no tax impact, and the impact is significantly reduced for cars over that amount.

I'm wondering is there a similar incentive out there for the self employed? There's a lot of sole traders out there driving vans for example and with longer range electric vans becoming available it'd be interesting to see if there's much uptake

If your self employed there is no benefit in kind tax.

I don't think there is BIK on a company van either as its a commercial vehicle and not a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

In the past if you owned a company you could purchase an EV for personal use via the company, that's gone. You can still claim 100% of the operating expenses as business cost, service, tyres, insurance and electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,801 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Water John wrote: »
    In the past if you owned a company you could purchase an EV for personal use via the company, that's gone. You can still claim 100% of the operating expenses as business cost, service, tyres, insurance and electricity.

I think you can claim the lease/finance costs as allowed expenses too

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭3d4life

I think companies can still claim ACA

Maybe this also applies to self employed ? ( would suggest asking 'your' accountant )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,801 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

3d4life wrote: »
    I think companies can still claim ACA

Maybe this also applies to self employed ? ( would suggest asking 'your' accountant )

Oh I'm not self employed, just asking out of curiosity. Don't think I could take the stress of running a business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,069 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Water John wrote: »

It's not gone....

2019 to 2022 Extension of Exemption
    You may choose to make an electric car available to your employee for private use between now and 31 December 2020.

Where this occurs, no charge to BIK arises in respect of any use by your employee where either of the following apply:

the OMV of the car is €50,000 or less
    or
    you first made this car available to your employee between 10 October 2017 and 9 October 2018.
    Where neither of the above apply, only a partial exemption is available. This is granted by reducing the OMV by €50,000 when calculating the cash equivalent for the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Thanks for that, monkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,069 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You can also claim back 20% of the vat if it's being used for 60% or more business purposes.

Advertisement