Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Club / County Split Season

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

I think it is a good idea. However there are a few problems.
    Firstly the GAA will be losing at least two months of huge publicity around the county scene. It has been acknowledged that bringing the All Ireland finals back to late August has hurt them both financially via sponsor reaction and in terms of tv exposure.
    Secondly I have a fear that when very many inter county players have finished their season (early June) there will be lots of 'inducements' to encourage them to see the US and make some money for the Summer. Unless there is a severe stricture placed on US GAA, then I genuinely believe that clubs will suffer. Recently it was mainly club players who departed, now will be the opportunity for intercounty players to travel. And don't think 'club loyalty' will keep them at home! This page isn't long enough to list the players who decided a Summer in the US (profitable or otherwise) trumps all else.
    Thirdly, they will have to make up their minds once and for all about eligiblity for U20 - choose that or senior? Can't play both.
    Fourth, the Sigerson/Fitzgibbon dilemma - when will they be played? There seems no alternative to late January early February in a much shortened format, which will be very problematic. Or will senior managers emasculate these wonderful competitions in favour of early / pre season training / meaningless games?
    Ultimately let's see a draft master fixtures sheet for a year, one that includes senior, club, third and second level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Can't have money in the GAA for clubs and other projects without the county competitions and crowds

Hope they change all ireland to a group based system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Exiled1 wrote: »
    I think it is a good idea. However there are a few problems.
    Firstly the GAA will be losing at least two months of huge publicity around the county scene. It has been acknowledged that bringing the All Ireland finals back to late August has hurt them both financially via sponsor reaction and in terms of tv exposure.
    Secondly I have a fear that when very many inter county players have finished their season (early June) there will be lots of 'inducements' to encourage them to see the US and make some money for the Summer. Unless there is a severe stricture placed on US GAA, then I genuinely believe that clubs will suffer. Recently it was mainly club players who departed, now will be the opportunity for intercounty players to travel. And don't think 'club loyalty' will keep them at home! This page isn't long enough to list the players who decided a Summer in the US (profitable or otherwise) trumps all else.
    Thirdly, they will have to make up their minds once and for all about eligiblity for U20 - choose that or senior? Can't play both.
    Fourth, the Sigerson/Fitzgibbon dilemma - when will they be played? There seems no alternative to late January early February in a much shortened format, which will be very problematic. Or will senior managers emasculate these wonderful competitions in favour of early / pre season training / meaningless games?
    Ultimately let's see a draft master fixtures sheet for a year, one that includes senior, club, third and second level.

Yeah, I guess the above are all the issues as to why the GAA has been slow to move on this. The only hope would be that the last couple of months have maybe showed that there is an appetite for club football and if we can sell the big games in these championships a bit more - we would see viewing figures increase for club matches?

Regarding club and intercounty players heading to US for the summer - I guess that threat will always be there although maybe not as much in post Covid times.

Third level window of January / early February should actually work if there were only college games going on. Scrap pre-season competitions and try and enforce a rule where third level players aren't training with inter county teams as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭threeball

They should run off the Fitzgibbon and Sigerson in Jan, Feb, March. Club should then take over from Mid march until July, and the county run from August to October. Cut out all the fluff of 3 or 4 weeks between games. The club will be good pre-season and we will also see a reduction in training for IC which is badly needed. The GAA should invest in some high quality pitches in each of the provinces so the games can be played to the best standard possible regardless of condition. Everyone could then take a well earned break for November and December.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭shockframe

A split season when done right would be fairly practical.

A split between both codes would also be a major step in the right direction.

In Limerick Doon (Hurling final) and Oola (Football q-final) were asked to play 2 games together in both codes in 4 days which saw them lose both. Then theres the high profile story of Loughgmore in Tipp.

Even without inter county the schedule doesn't facilitate dual clubs really anymore.

In Limerick the clubs in the city have only around 4-5 dual players across squads. The demands have split clubs into almost 2 different squads. It's a similar scenario in Dublin and Cork.

If you had a separate club season it would give clubs a better chance to prepare for playing 2 codes. The gap in time would make a huge difference for rest and preparation.

6 months to one sport would be extremely beneficial in terms of organising games. The dilemma as in Limerick and Tipp the last week is eradicated instantly. 
    You could end up in a lot of cases of clubs having a season where both codes take priority in their respective windows. A football club taking to hurling and vice versa.
    Second/Third level isn't as easy to split but even 3 months to run off games for one code and then another 3 for the other would be ideal.

There would be an outcry over no All Irelands in August/September but the interest would still be strong. Adapting to a new calendar if done correctly whatever would be no obstacle I reckon.

The 2 into 1 approach of games over 12 months limits the potential of both. Having January to June for one Code and July to December would be worth serious consideration

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

shockframe wrote: »
    A split season when done right would be fairly practical.

A split between both codes would also be a major step in the right direction.

In Limerick Doon (Hurling final) and Oola (Football q-final) were asked to play 2 games together in both codes in 4 days which saw them lose both. Then theres the high profile story of Loughgmore in Tipp.

Even without inter county the schedule doesn't facilitate dual clubs really anymore.

In Limerick the clubs in the city have only around 4-5 dual players across squads. The demands have split clubs into almost 2 different squads. It's a similar scenario in Dublin and Cork.

If you had a separate club season it would give clubs a better chance to prepare for playing 2 codes. The gap in time would make a huge difference for rest and preparation.

6 months to one sport would be extremely beneficial in terms of organising games. The dilemma as in Limerick and Tipp the last week is eradicated instantly. 
    You could end up in a lot of cases of clubs having a season where both codes take priority in their respective windows. A football club taking to hurling and vice versa.
    Second/Third level isn't as easy to split but even 3 months to run off games for one code and then another 3 for the other would be ideal.

There would be an outcry over no All Irelands in August/September but the interest would still be strong. Adapting to a new calendar if done correctly whatever would be no obstacle I reckon.

The 2 into 1 approach of games over 12 months limits the potential of both. Having January to June for one Code and July to December would be worth serious consideration

Yeah that was a farcical situation in Tipperary where the ladies final and camogie final clashed so Cahir had to forfeit.

Never considered splitting both codes but I guess the non dual player (who has no interest in the other code) is left with 6 months of no competitive games?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭shockframe

DH2K9 wrote: »
    Yeah that was a farcical situation in Tipperary where the ladies final and camogie final clashed so Cahir had to forfeit.

Never considered splitting both codes but I guess the non dual player (who has no interest in the other code) is left with 6 months of no competitive games?

There's that but the non dual player would know exactly where they stand and could plan ahead with other sports,holidays, work commitments etc. Less time traveling long distances to/from work. 6 months free as opposed to waiting on a football or hurling result to decide when they are playing.

If you had a sport with a 6 month window you could plan everything a lot easier. Only have to plan for one sport. The dual schedule is gone. Players can commit freely to one instead of being pulled and dragged between both. Players would be fresher when they are playing too.

From speaking to a couple of players there is slight frustration at not being able to plan holidays or breaks. A split season would be ideal for a lot of players I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,751 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

In not a fan of the early intercounty championships as I think its run off way too fast and in Waterford hurlings case over before it barley started. You're summer could be effectively over in mid May where by years before it was only beginning then or a few weeks later

I'd be favour of running the leagues beginning of March/April with finals May BH weekend and then inter county championships July/August/September.

Advertisement