Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting Neighbours for restriction breach.

• 30-09-2020 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

For two nights in a row a group of male students living across the road have had parties with more than current area restrictions allow.

They have woken us up. They don't wear masks in public and are in and out of local shops. I don't want it to get into our community.

I am a carer for my daughter. So we are a vulnerable family because of medical conditions.

I don't feel comfortable approaching these men.

Should I just report to the Gardai?

Would you?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

For two nights in a row a group of male students living across the road have had parties with more than current area restrictions allow.

They have woken us up. They don't wear masks in public and are in and out of local shops. I don't want it to get into our community.

I am a carer for my daughter. So we are a vulnerable family because of medical conditions.

Would you?

Thank you

Yes report them to the Guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

fin12 wrote: »
    Yes report them to the Guards.

Thank you. I know it's the right thing but I am second guessing myself.

We have a settled estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Yes of course

Whether they actually do anything is another thing though

I'm not sure where you are, but in Dublin the guards are a fcuking joke

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Would you?

Thank you

Are they not wearing masks in the shops? Why are the shops allowing this?

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Yes of course

Whether they actually do anything is another thing though

I'm not sure where you are, but in Dublin the guards are a fcuking joke

No I'm not in Dublin.

A neighbour rang them last week about bangers and their poor dogs and she said they were kind and understanding. I don't know if they came around. We are 20 minutes from the nearest Garda station.

• Advertisement

robbiezero wrote: »
    Are they not wearing masks in the shops? Why are the shops allowing this?

I've seen them run into the local garage paying for petrol without masks.

I don't want to sound whiny but my adult daughter is dependent on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Why mention that they’re male?

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Why mention that they’re male?

It's a fact of the situation.

I am not.

And I am afraid they'd laugh and mock the old whiny woman as they don't know my family situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

We have a settled estate.

Are they travellers?

Are they travellers?

No settled as in all householders are above 50 years old with adult children most living away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Would you?

Thank you

Is that a question? I think anyone who fails to report them needs to go to prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭john123470

Leave 2 fish wrapped in newspaper on their doorstep ...

If that doesnt work, call guards

john123470 wrote: »
    Leave 2 fish wrapped in newspaper on their doorstep ...

If that doesnt work, call guards

I don't know what to make of that.

Is it like 'sleep with the fishes'?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭john123470

That sorta thing yah ..
    sorry it doesnt come out right

I'll keep workin on ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

No settled as in all householders are above 50 years old with adult children most living away.

Students :confused:

Report them to the nearest Gardai station

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I don't know what to make of that.

Is it like 'sleep with the fishes'?
    The suggestion may not have been entirely serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Op it's not whining to complain about this. People like this don't care about others.
    Children kept awake, dogs upset with bangers medically vulnerable people possibly exposed to a virus. What do they care.

Yes I would complain to the garda initially. See if that gets you anything.

I hope it does. The parents of these people would be the first to complain if noise etc disturbed them I'm betting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I guess they rent that house from someone. Landlord is in a way also responsible so try to get in touch with him. Maybe it will be good idea to talk with other neighbors and get together to come up with some united approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Would you?

Thank you

Report them for what? What actual laws have they broken? I think you are mistaking guidelines with laws. There are 0 laws about how many people you can have in your house. Masks are not mandated in public, so why would they wear them there??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

the amsks are to stop other people getting it from you, not really the other way around. as mentioned, while they might be idiots, theyre not actually breaking any laws.

just keep yourself and your daughter safe and stay masked up would be my advice.

**just to add, might be no harm to just remind them that theres no ened to aprty every night, to please keep the volume down as best they can

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

If indoor venues can't open there should be outdoor areas provided for those who want to party, so neighbours don't have to listen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Report them to the college? There has been talk of some measures being taken by colleges against landlords who allow this on their premises and the Gardaí are planning to liaise

Graces7 wrote: »
    Report them to the college? There has been talk of some measures being taken by colleges against landlords who allow this on their premises and the Gardaí are planning to liaise

Well thats the biggest load of nonsense I've ever read on Boards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭TexasTornado

Would you?

Thank you

Yes i would without a seconds hesitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Do you know their Landlord? Is s/he reasonable?

As well as reporting to the Gardai, I would contact the Landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭circadian

Well thats the biggest load of nonsense I've ever read on Boards.

You've never read your own posts then.

circadian wrote: »
    You've never read your own posts then.

Ooh good comeback. What "measures" could colleges possibly take against private landlords?? And the Gardai have already said they'll be giving out no ones addresses.

"In a statement to Galway Bay fm news today Gardai say they’ll continue to liaise with third level institutions and that An Garda Síochána does not share private information with third parties."

Other than those two points Grace is spot on :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ooh good comeback. What "measures" could colleges possibly take against private landlords?? And the Gardai have already said they'll be giving out no ones addresses.

"In a statement to Galway Bay fm news today Gardai say they’ll continue to liaise with third level institutions and that An Garda Síochána does not share private information with third parties."

Other than those two points Grace is spot on :D:D:D:D:D

According to a statement from college authorities over the Galway incident, they can sanction, warn and if that goes unheeded, expel the students concerned

And the Gardaí agreed to do that. Look back and learn!

There is also the fact that a noise nuisance after a certain hour is an environmental health issue that carries penalties from the council

But hey, go on and excuse anything and everything! :rolleyes: Leaving you to it...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Feel for you OP, not for the covid concerns but for the noise etc. AFAIK the rules are not law so the Gardai can do very little. Even in non Covid times the Gardai cant do anything about noise issues and its a civil issue. Masks aren't mandatory in shops either, only public transport. :(

However college policy may not permit students to do this. If the behaviour warrants it, do you know who they are and can you report them to the college?

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    According to a statement from college authorities over the Galway incident, they can sanction, warn and if that goes unheeded, expel the students concerned

And the Gardaí agreed to do that. Look back and learn!

There is also the fact that a noise nuisance after a certain hour is an environmental health issue that carries penalties from the council

But hey, go on and excuse anything and everything! :rolleyes: Leaving you to it...

The Gardai agreed to what? They've stated they won't be giving any addresses to the college. I'd love to see how much the college would have to pay out in legal fees, compensation and the rest for expelling someone over a private matter. Should my boss get a phone call if I have a house party?? :D:D:D

Advertisement