Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demon's Souls - PS5

• 26-09-2020 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,436 ✭✭✭✭

As requested in the PS5 thread, this is one solely to discuss the remake and a fresh start for people who never played the original.

The only Souls game i never completed, i can't wait to finally beat this in glorious next gen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

So excited for this. I never had a PlayStation before I picked up the Pro, so I didn't play the original at all. I've played and loved other From games though, so I won't be going in completely blind. Just trying to decide on whether or not I need a new TV before November.... :rolleyes: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Imported it back in the day. Replayed on PS3 during the lockdown. Excited about playing this on the 5...

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Kamu

Never played it before, I won't get it with launch but will pick it up at some stage in 2021. Never played it before but was always told to try it for the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Definitely getting this for the PS5.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Day one for me! Git gud maaan!

• Advertisement

Are we expecting and major game-play differences, or do you think it will be purely aesthetic?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,436 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Kamu wrote: »
    Are we expecting and major game-play differences, or do you think it will be purely aesthetic?

Good comparison below showing difference between original and remake gameplay, all we know so far really but already see some new animations.

DF's tech analysis of the gameplay trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭Polar101

I played the original on PS3 for maybe 8 hours (?), I got as far as the big knight boss (I guess the guy on the thumbnail of the above video), and died instantly, but when I realized I have to clear the whole level to try again, I never played the game again. I guess if they changed that in the remake, I'd be more interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Polar101 wrote: »
    I played the original on PS3 for maybe 8 hours (?), I got as far as the big knight boss (I guess the guy on the thumbnail of the above video), and died instantly, but when I realized I have to clear the whole level to try again, I never played the game again. I guess if they changed that in the remake, I'd be more interested.

You can just run passed pretty much everything in these games, so unless you're trying to get a ****load of souls back, just leg it back to where you died.

Thats what i learned to do in these games, take it slow and explore/clear up to boss, if i die, just run/dodge/roll passed everything for the next boss attempt.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You also open shortcuts as you play making it easier and the souls you actually lose don't mean anything as the souls you gain in later stages will be exponentially higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You also open shortcuts as you play making it easier and the souls you actually lose don't mean anything as the souls you gain in later stages will be exponentially higher.

that's little consolation when you're a level 4 gimp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I loved the original but only got about halfway through it. To this day I still don't know why I never finished it. This will be the first game I play on PS5.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,700 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

gimli2112 wrote: »
    that's little consolation when you're a level 4 gimp

Yeah but with the way damage scales it really shouldn't be an issue anyway. The thing is with the way levelling work it all balances out anyway and most people are at about the same level when they get to different places. Levelling up and grinding doesn't help as much as people think, it's more a comfort blanket/placebo effect when really the player is just 'gitting gud'. Weapon levels make more difference.

I also think a lot of players make the mistake of tackling Boletaria's second stage after the first boss when really they should be heading to the mines to unlock the blacksmith as it's probably the easiest next stage to take on and has that new upgrade path.

It's great you can tackle different stages. The problem is when you get stuck at one stage in each level :)

Shortcuts are key though and make exploration well worth it. Once you've found weapons items and think you have everything and unlock the boss, then it's full on legging it back to boss after each death, preferably with shortcuts you unlocked. Can't wait to get stuck into this!

I can't wait for the inevitable ****show when Bluepoint make 1 slight change and the Souls community accuse them of dumbing the game down for casuals. Hopefully it won't go as far as death threats though.

Markitron wrote: »
    I can't wait for the inevitable ****show when Bluepoint make 1 slight change and the Souls community accuse them of dumbing the game down for casuals. Hopefully it won't go as far as death threats though.

They've already dumbed it down with grunts and wall mounting!

Worst game ever!

Markitron wrote: »

The ONLY think I would like clarification on is the damage/enemy health. Was 1 hitting enemies added to speed up gameplay demo or are they 1 hitters now in tutorial level. If so, how does that impact the rest of the game.

I'm fairly sure they will be back to 2-3 hits in the full game.

They showed 1:1 training section gameplay compared to the PS3 version and the enemies were taking the same amount of hits I believe.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They showed 1:1 training section gameplay compared to the PS3 version and the enemies were taking the same amount of hits I believe.

Go to 15:33 here, takes 3 hits to kill the enemy.

• Advertisement

Ah Ok.

I'm pretty sure it's for demo purposes.

That or it's a new 'Git Gud scrub' mode.

It was almost certainly for demo purposes, I am not even slightly worried about that. What I am talking about is BP slightly adjusting the damage of a certain weapon, that kind of thing. It IS going to happen, they will likely have done it for a good reason, but fans of the original will hit the roof.

The most likely change is them tweaking the healing items which, IIRC, were easy to stock up on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I kinda assumed with the one-hit kills that it was just for demo purposes or from gameplay where they returned to an earlier section of the game but are now a much higher level/strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

There is a pre-order bonus weapon for the game and its a scythe and there are no scythes in the vanilla Demons Souls. Maybe they will add some new content? I wonder will they keep that OP sword from 3-1 in the game. I think it was an Enchanted Falchion, you run into the zone and up some stairs and its there on your left. Now you have a "git gud" weapon for the early parts of the game

Deluxe edition announced.

Edit: Jesus, 100 quid rrp for some gear that you might not use for long and consumable items and soundtrack. Crazy.

https://twitter.com/PlayStationEU/status/1310996783301038080?s=19

What happens if you buy a physical copy? Will there be a download code?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Do builds in this game work like the others? wanted to do a quality build to start off with

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Deluxe edition announced.

Edit: Jesus, 100 quid rrp for some gear that you might not use for long and consumable items and soundtrack. Crazy.

https://twitter.com/PlayStationEU/status/1310996783301038080?s=19

Yeah, don't think I'll be going for that!

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Yeah, don't think I'll be going for that!

Heck 80 is too much for me when I know they'll be available pre-owned rather soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

turkey or indonesian store all the way,can't find a price atm though which is annoying

Advertisement