Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dishwasher powder

• 27-09-2020 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi,

I am old fashioned and have an old fashioned dishwasher. I use dishwasher powdwr, but is now very difficult to find. Anybody know where I can get it. I have tried the usual suspects; dunnes, tesco, aldi and lidl. They all used to do powder but it is all tablets now.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

SuperValu have Finish powder listed on their website, however, of course that does not necessarily mean it'll be available to buy over the counter at all stores.

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/product/1109506000

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Treat yourself to a holiday in France and stock up in one of the supermarkets here! Or send me the money and I'll buy it for you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Are tablets not just compressed powder?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Try mister price

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Hoboo wrote: »
    Are tablets not just compressed powder?
    Yes, but for the most part they contain other fancy stuff like salt and rinse-aid which claim to be as good as the old fashioned separate products but really aren't, especially if you're in a really hard water area.

OP, you can get plain old, snazzy-extra-free dishwasher tablets in Lidl, W5 Classic 50x tablets. Much cheaper than the fancy ones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

We have a Fisher & Paykel dishwasher and powder is more suitable that tablets.

Tesco stopped selling the Finish powder a few years ago, so we get some up in Sainsbury’s in Newry, as we’d go up every few months, so always pick up about 5-6 of them (cheaper as well).

I think Dunnes also sold it, but for us, going to a Dunnes can be a bit of a hassle.

OP there is also gel you can get if you’re absolutely against using tablets...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

SuperValu definitely have it.
    You can also get Sun or Finish gel, which can be reduced in dose.

I assume you have Fisher & Paykel dish drawers?

We've a full size Miele dishwasher and it really does not like Fairy tablets. It seems to be extremely efficient, so it uses less water and probably has higher pressure jets than some machines, so the Fairy tablets are just far too high-foaming. You can hear it choking in foam and if you open the door mid cycle it will be way over foamed. Whereas if I use solid tablets e.g. Sun or Finish it's fine.

You can also get gels from Sun and Finish that you can control the dose of yourself. I found them a bit messy though, compared to powder and they're also really over scented and high foaming.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

My local Tesco started selling the Finish powder again, after about a 3-4 year break!!!

Advertisement