Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Under 5.0M Bargain Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

macraignil wrote: »
    I genuinely do hope Lascelles is playing great throughout next season and is the highest scoring 4.5mill defender but for me it's a wait and see on weather a Newcastle defender is worth bringing in and I'm looking at starting with Vinagre and Walker-Peters as my two 4.5mill defenders and still deciding between Davies for 5mill and Mitchell at 4mill in the other budget defender slot.

Really want Shaw over Davies, but know it's a transfer I'll never end up making.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭macraignil

manual_man wrote: »
    Maybe someone should ask PVA on twitter what's the story with Mitchell and when PVA himself expects to be back

No need. Just seen this claiming he is back in training:

https://twitter.com/CPFC/status/1301909391499833346?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

• Registered Users Posts: 18,193 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Is branthwaite a starter ?

If other two cb Keane and Milna lose form/injured. So one step away.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

If other two cb Keane and Milna lose form/injured. So one step away.

Holgate’s there as well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,193 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Holgate’s there as well though.

Yeah forgot him!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

who does everyone think will be the most likely starters for 4m defenders this year? i have seen a few mentioned but i think some recent transfers have put doubts on a few of them starting.

i think it's between:
    Johnson (wh)
    Douglas (leeds)
    Mitchell (cp)
    Bernardo (bha)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭CSF

darego wrote: »
    who does everyone think will be the most likely starters for 4m defenders this year? i have seen a few mentioned but i think some recent transfers have put doubts on a few of them starting.

i think it's between:
    Johnson (wh)
    Douglas (leeds)
    Mitchell (cp)
    Bernardo (bha)
    It is Johnson until Ferguson gets fit IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

CSF wrote: »
    It is Johnson until Ferguson gets fit IMO.

None of them looking that likely though right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭touts

I see wolves have signed a new left back from Lyon. I presume that means Vinagre will be behind him. Its starting to feel like we're running out of 4.5m players.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,362 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

touts wrote: »
    I see wolves have signed a new left back from Lyon. I presume that means Vinagre will be behind him. Its starting to feel like we're running out of 4.5m players.

He's likely a back up but rumours that Vinagre may be sold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭CSF

FHFC wrote: »
    None of them looking that likely though right?
    My opinion would be that Johnson gets the nod over Fredericks. He got great reviews towards the end of last season. Hard to be that sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Doing some scouting on the new teams, Irishman Dara O'Shea (4.5 def) of West Brom is peaking my interest. Broke into the team as right back at the end of January, since then (and granted these are all Championship stats):
    Played - 16
    Goals - 3
    Assists - 1
    Clean Sheets - 8

While they don't have a cakewalk of an opening fixtures, it's definitely better than Leeds and don't have a "red" fixture till GW9. With all my 4.5m options drying up, looks like I'm landing on him for one of my 4.5m defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gandalfio

So do we have any clear indication of who, if any, will be the 4.0 starters?

Maybe one for the watchlist but Oliver Burke a 4.5 mid for Sheff utd who Wilder apparently has said will be used up front.

Hasnt been much of a goalscorer in his career so far but will be hard to turn down if he is a OOP striker getting minutes, even as bench fodder

• Registered Users Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Maybe one for the watchlist but Oliver Burke a 4.5 mid for Sheff utd who Wilder apparently has said will be used up front.

Hasnt been much of a goalscorer in his career so far but will be hard to turn down if he is a OOP striker getting minutes, even as bench fodder

He looked very lively today vs Villa.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,637 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Talk of Dale Stephens going to Burnley - hopefully that will see him get some game time - 1/2 guarantee points a week all you need from a 4.5m player

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Anguissa is a player I almost got in for GW1, got an assist last week after not starting GW1. Think he could be a great 5th MF if he gets a run and is an attacking player. One to watch out for I feel.

On WC and have gone for Burke as I'm keeping Mitrovic for now, not sure how often he'll start but sounded like a promising debut up front last GW and was kept on ahead of McGoldrick after the red card

Anguissa is a player I almost got in for GW1, got an assist last week after not starting GW1. Think he could be a great 5th MF if he gets a run and is an attacking player. One to watch out for I feel.

On WC and have gone for Burke as I'm keeping Mitrovic for now, not sure how often he'll start but sounded like a promising debut up front last GW and was kept on ahead of McGoldrick after the red card

Yeah was looking at him too, stats aren't great tho, 163 career games, 2 goals and 5 assists.

Milan are interested too

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Yeah was looking at him too, stats aren't great tho, 163 career games, 2 goals and 5 assists.

Milan are interested too

Milan are interested in who? Burke?

He's only after signing for Sheff Utd a week ago. I'd imagine he'll be there for at least this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Gus Ivey wrote: »
    Milan are interested in who? Burke?

No McGoldrick, silly :)

(The other player mentioned)
    https://tbrfootball.com/report-ac-milan-want-to-sign-fulham-midfielder-andre-zambo-anguissa/amp/

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »

Haha woops. Thought he was trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

Something worth monitoring especially around Gw 9 when Sheffield United's fixtures turn kinder.

Robinson (4.4) and Ampadu (4.5) started in Sheffield United defence today.

One of them is in for the suspended Egan.

But O'Connell is out long term.

'Wilder: O'Connell could be out for season'

https://www.skysports.com/share/12083341

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

shineon23 wrote: »
    Something worth monitoring especially around Gw29 when Sheffield United's fixtures turn kinder.

Their defenders will only be worth 4.5m this year with O Connell and Henderson gone

shineon23 wrote: »
    Something worth monitoring especially around Gw29 when Sheffield United's fixtures turn kinder.

Remind us around Paddy's Day :D

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Remind us around Paddy's Day :D

Whoops Gw 9 ha.

But it may take until gw29 to sort themselves out :D

Their defenders will only be worth 4.5m this year with O Connell and Henderson gone

They represent good value at 4.4/4.5 though as sqaud enablers. I wouldn't be writing them off.

Conceding 2 to a good Wolves team and conceding a late on to what has been a free scoring Leeds team so far suggests to me that they are there or thereabouts.
    Villa's goal came from a set piece.

People (including myself) have had Burnley, Southampton and Brighton defensive 4.5 options who haven't convinced me of keeping regular clean sheets.

By GW9 they're starting XI should be settled and they have a great run of 10 fixtures. I'll not be ignoring them.

Look like Brewster is on his way to Sheff Utd in a £20m+ permanent deal. I reckon he will see plenty of game time for that kind of fee. IS he being signed to be their main man? He is certainly their best goalscorer.

Any guesses what Sheff United's pecking order in regards to their forwards?

1. Brewster
    2. McBurnie
    3. McGoldrick
    4. Mousset
    5. Sharp

Not sure where Burke fits into that list, somewhere in the middle maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Gus Ivey wrote: »
    Look like Brewster is on his way to Sheff Utd in a £20m+ permanent deal. I reckon he will see plenty of game time for that kind of fee. IS he being signed to be their main man? He is certainly their best goalscorer.

Any guesses what Sheff United's pecking order in regards to their forwards?

1. Brewster
    2. McBurnie
    3. McGoldrick
    4. Mousset
    5. Sharp

Not sure where Burke fits into that list, somewhere in the middle maybe

McGoldrick and Burke would be 1 & 2 currently IMO.

Could see Brewster taking Burke's minutes, McBurnie to share minutes with McGoldrick. McGoldrick is very well thought of so not sure if he'll be dropped and if so, indefinitely.

Sheffield United have pairly pants fixtures coming up - ars, FUL, liv, MCI, che, WHU.

Will be a wait and see for me, the Fulham game be one to keep an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Could see Brewster taking Burke's minutes, McBurnie to share minutes with McGoldrick. McGoldrick is very well thought of so not sure if he'll be dropped and if so, indefinitely.

Sheffield United have pairly pants fixtures coming up - ars, FUL, liv, MCI, che, WHU.

When Burke was with Forest he mainly a winger and RM and played blinders with them. He could easily be moved back to that position

• Advertisement

Yeah I suppose McB and McG are quite similar. Big lads who can hold the ball up and link up the play, whereas Burke and Brewster could provide the pace and make runs in behind. Sharp will be used for cup games and will get very few minutes in the league.

That being said, Brewster will be a club record signing so I would expect him to be primed to be in the first 11 eventually. How long it takes for him to be established is another question though.

Advertisement