Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CUMH Mamas

Options
  • 31-12-2019 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi all. The last thread I can find with information & updates on CUMH seem to be from 3-4 years ago so I hope it’s ok to create this one. We have just discovered we are expecting (due late Aug/early Sept) & we live in Cork so only one choice of maternity hospital for us.

It would be great to know of any recent experiences there in terms of what to expect etc. I’m a 1st timer but 36 so lots of my friends have already had their kids there but it’s a little early to ask them for information. What I have picked up so far is:

Public v Private:
    - The key difference is continuity of seeing the same consultant & higher frequency of scans. The actual birth & accomodation experience is then largely the same as there are no large wards, so many public patients end up in small semi private rooms. If you’re high risk you’ll end up seeing the consultant a lot & having regular scans anyway. I’m leaning towards public & paying for a few extra scans

20 Week Anomaly Scan:
    - I’ve seen mixed information about whether it is currently offered as standard at CUHM - does anyone have any recent experience? I spotted that their had been a petition to reinstate it as standard a few years ago but not sure where that ended up

Staffing Levels:
    - I have heard that the staffing levels seem to be lower than previously, with more junior midwives in labour & delivery in comparison with previous years. That said, this could be simply 1 person’s experience based on 1 night so would love to heard from others.

Midwife led clinics:
    - I have heard that attending these in the outreach is much calmer than attending CUMH but I think based on location, I’ll be allocated to CUMH - does anyone have experience of attending this in comparison to the Doctor led one? According to the CUMH website, you should have more time with the midwife than you would have with the doctor if you chose that option, so for low risk I presume that is the way to go, or would all 1st timers be in doctor led until it can be determined you are low risk ? I’m over 35 so potentially that puts me into the high risk category already?

Waiting times for Booking Appts/Scans:
    - does anyone have any experience of long delays for these? Also is it possible to request your appt for certain times of the day or is it a case of take what you’re given if you’re public?

Looking forward to hearing other experiences & if anyone else has other questions feel free to add them!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I had my first baby there in Dec 2017 and currently 6 months pregnant with the 2nd. Went public first time round and doing the domino scheme this time.

I went public first time and saw my consultant once for 10 mins at my 20 week appointment. I was low risk and happy to go with the midwife led scheme so had the rest of my appointments at St Finbarrs. I was 35 at the time and still considered low risk. I personally didn’t see the benefit of private as I was/am low risk and you’re not guaranteed to get a private room anyway. The wait times never bothered me, good book and some time away from work was how I saw it. I was in a 2 person room after the birth.

In 2017 I waited 2 hours for my booking appointment at 12 weeks and I think 1.5-2 hours for the 20 week appointment. Once I went to St Finbarrs wait times were very quick. This time, only waited 30 mins for my booking appointment and less again for my 20 week appointment (through the Domino scheme).

Anomaly scan is standard now.

I’ve never had to/asked to change an appointment time. All of my appointments were in the morning apart from the dating and anomaly scan. Domino scheme is Friday morning.

If the domino scheme is an option I’d highly recommend it so far and everyone I know whose done it says the same. You are seeing the same group of midwives the whole way through. They are very focused on helping have a natural birth and preventing intervention which is very important to me after my first birth and they also are very supportive of breastfeeding which is another thing that is important to me.

Just to add, I’m now 37 with Group B strep and had a post partum haemorrhage on my first but still in the low risk category. I’ll just get a bit more monitoring after the birth for risk of haemorrhage and antibiotics in labour for the Group B strep.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rebel83

bee06 wrote: »
    I had my first baby there in Dec 2017 and currently 6 months pregnant with the 2nd. Went public first time round and doing the domino scheme this time.

I went public first time and saw my consultant once for 10 mins at my 20 week appointment. I was low risk and happy to go with the midwife led scheme so had the rest of my appointments at St Finbarrs. I was 35 at the time and still considered low risk. I personally didn’t see the benefit of private as I was/am low risk and you’re not guaranteed to get a private room anyway. The wait times never bothered me, good book and some time away from work was how I saw it. I was in a 2 person room after the birth.

In 2017 I waited 2 hours for my booking appointment at 12 weeks and I think 1.5-2 hours for the 20 week appointment. Once I went to St Finbarrs wait times were very quick. This time, only waited 30 mins for my booking appointment and less again for my 20 week appointment (through the Domino scheme).

Anomaly scan is standard now.

I’ve never had to/asked to change an appointment time. All of my appointments were in the morning apart from the dating and anomaly scan. Domino scheme is Friday morning.

If the domino scheme is an option I’d highly recommend it so far and everyone I know whose done it says the same. You are seeing the same group of midwives the whole way through. They are very focused on helping have a natural birth and preventing intervention which is very important to me after my first birth and they also are very supportive of breastfeeding which is another thing that is important to me.

Just to add, I’m now 37 with Group B strep and had a post partum haemorrhage on my first but still in the low risk category. I’ll just get a bit more monitoring after the birth for risk of haemorrhage and antibiotics in labour for the Group B strep.

Thanks Bee. I would be interested in the Domino scheme but I thought I read that you need to be within a 5 mile radius to the hospital? We're about 9 miles away, not far but potentially out of scope?

A friend of mine used to go to Finbarr's on her 2nd & she found them great but I understand they have moved those services to Carrigaline & St. Mary's on the North side, both of which are a good bit further away than CUMH for me.

Morning appointments sound perfect. My partner works afternoons & we often have school pick up for my stepson so would be awkward, especially for the early appts when we haven't told him yet.

Rebel83 wrote: »
    Thanks Bee. I would be interested in the Domino scheme but I thought I read that you need to be within a 5 mile radius to the hospital? We're about 9 miles away, not far but potentially out of scope?

A friend of mine used to go to Finbarr's on her 2nd & she found them great but I understand they have moved those services to Carrigaline & St. Mary's on the North side, both of which are a good bit further away than CUMH for me.

Morning appointments sound perfect. My partner works afternoons & we often have school pick up for my stepson so would be awkward, especially for the early appts when we haven't told him yet.

I would check the area anyway for the Domino scheme. I though I was too far out for my 1st so never mentioned it but then two people in the same area did it the year after. Worth asking the question.

In terms of your husband attending appointments it’s a personal thing but my husband only went to the scans both times and the very last midwife appointment at 40 weeks. Never the other appointments with the midwives. They aren’t allowed in the room for some of the booking appointment at 12 weeks either because of the questions asked. Since fathers aren’t entitled to time off its holiday time that I’d prefer he had for after the birth.

I will definitely ask about Domino. I like the idea of midwife led.

Re the 12 week appt - is there not an ultrasound at that one too or is that separate to the booking appt?

Rebel83 wrote: »
    I will definitely ask about Domino. I like the idea of midwife led.

Re the 12 week appt - is there not an ultrasound at that one too or is that separate to the booking appt?

You should get a separate ultrasound appointment before the booking appointment in my experience. Mine were on different days for both pregnancies.

• Advertisement

bee06 wrote: »
    You should get a separate ultrasound appointment before the booking appointment in my experience. Mine were on different days for both pregnancies.

Ah ok, brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Congratulations! I had my baby in June in CUMH. Firstly as far as I’m aware the domino scheme has been extended to 15km. I was on it initially (was within the original 5 miles or whatever it was). I was taken off it though due to having gestational diabetes.

Found the public system grand except for extremely long waiting times for appointments. I was in the diabetes clinic though and had to see various different people so it was longer than usual. Domino waiting times were nothing!

I paid for a private early scan in a place in Ballincollig which ended up being 20 euro due to health insurance reimbursement. Everyone gets the anomoly scan now. I had loads of extra scans due to the diabetes.

For the birth I had an experienced midwife and a student midwife. Never needed to see a doctor for the birth even though I was high risk which I was very happy about. I was induced due to the diabetes but had a natural quick birth and was treated very well.

Can’t complain about the place really. Except the heat on the wards!

Oh yeah you can ask for certain appointment times within reason. My partner only came to the 12 week scan and anomoly scan. And the last appointment before I had the baby.

That sounds great Lia. I'm within 15km alright so fingers crossed I can get into the Domino scheme. Will prob go to BabyScan in Ballincollig for an early scan alright but glad to hear the anomaly scan is back as standard at CUMH

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭awny

Hiya,

I had my little boy in March 2019 in CUMH and went privately with Prof. Richard Greene. I could not recommend him highly enough.

I did actually get a private room when I stayed in CUMH. In terms of scans/visits to Prof. Greene, I was scanned about 10 times in my pregnancy and I had my lb at 36 weeks so would've ended up with more.

I got an anomaly scan anyway and it was done in CUMH.

Any other questions ask away x

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

I had my little dude in July 2018 in Cumh I was public and had anomaly scan at 20 weeks
    Also at my 20 weeks appointment was asked if I wanted to go to the midwives clinic in Finbarrs for the rest of my appointments and after a 3hr wait for this one I totally jumped at the chance :)

I live quite far from there and there was no issue . It was so good there . Morning appointment, no long wait and a way longer chat while in there . Like they had more time to give u . The midwife I met in there did one day a week in Finbarrs and was in high risk clinic in cumh .

I had very severe spd from 25 weeks and was barely able to walk even with crutches and when I was up in cumh twice a week for physio it just seemed so busy and mad compared to Finbarrs.

At the birth I had a senior midwife and a student at the start but when I had quite bad complications doctors from different departments came very fast and took control of the situation so no issue with staffing levels if needed in a emergency

Any other questions please ask :)

• Advertisement

Hi Mamas,

So we got our appt for the ultrasound & booking appt - 2 separate appointments in the same week as a previous poster mentioned. It'll be week 13 by then.

Am I right in thinking it's the ultrasound/dating scan that's more important for Dad to be at? Does anyone have any idea what the waiting time is like for them though - as my appt is at 2.50pm & my partner usually drops his older son to after school between 2.45-3.15pm before going to work. He can take off work but I wonder whether to let him drop his son off as normal & come to meet me at around 3.15pm as we haven't told him the news yet & I could still be waiting to be seen?

Anyone have any idea whether they scan you within an hour or arriving or would I be better to phone them to check?

Yeah, it’s the scan is the one for him to go to. There is no point in him going to the booking appointment because he’s not allowed in for most of the appointment anyway.

If I remember correctly we weren’t waiting very long. It really all depends on if there have been any emergencies etc that can knock them off track.

Ring them and see if they can move the appointment later if he can’t organise someone to drop his son instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi everyone hope you dont mind me posting.

I am newly pregnant with first baby and considering the Domino scheme. Can anyone give their experience on this as none of my friends have used it. I really like the idea of midwife led and minimal time in the hospital. I am nervous about the idea of no epidural but hoping I can do hypnobirthing which might give me more confidence, thanks x

Hi everyone hope you dont mind me posting.

I am newly pregnant with first baby and considering the Domino scheme. Can anyone give their experience on this as none of my friends have used it. I really like the idea of midwife led and minimal time in the hospital. I am nervous about the idea of no epidural but hoping I can do hypnobirthing which might give me more confidence, thanks x

I did it on my 2nd baby after a tough labour experience on my first. She’s 6 months now. I’m not planning on having any more babies but if I was I wouldn’t hesitate to go with the domino again. The midwives are amazing and it’s a small group so you may see the same one at a few of your appointments. The waiting time for the appointments is shorter. The antenatal classes are brilliant, really focused on a natural birth. It was my second baby so I wasn’t sure I’d learn anything new but I learned so much.

As I said, I had a tough 1st labour, had an epidural, vacuum and episiotomy and I was still a bit traumatised after it being honest. I went through everything with the midwife at my first appointment and she talked me through what I could do to avoid that a second time around. She gave me so much confidence in myself and my body and I ended up having a natural birth (just gas and air) that was night and day from my first.

The midwife I had in labour was brilliant as well. There was a certain stage when I was getting so tired and I made a half joke/half serious comment about an epidural and she said no, you can do this, you really don’t need it. She tried a few different positions to keep things moving.

Then the aftercare was brilliant being able to walk out after 24 hours and sleep in my own bed and have the midwives to come out and check everything was brilliant too. They also have a major focus on breastfeeding which was very important to me.

I’d recommend it to anyone who’s eligible.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It is absolutely possible to give birth with no epidural :-) Once you have the support you need and you are comfortable with it, I would say go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

Hi everyone! Does anyone know what the policy in Cumh is regarding what stage of labour someone can get the epidural? Last labour I went from 2cm to 10cm in 20 minutes & couldn’t get one and just weighing up options for this pregnancy

Hi everyone! Does anyone know what the policy in Cumh is regarding what stage of labour someone can get the epidural? Last labour I went from 2cm to 10cm in 20 minutes & couldn’t get one and just weighing up options for this pregnancy

I don't think there is hard & fast rule in relation to cm - prob best to discuss with your midwife/consultant in advance. I had one at 1-2cm but that's because they were putting me on an Oxytocin drip to progress my labour & that can make the pains more extreme. I didn't progress beyond 2cm & needed a c section in the end.

Advertisement