Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on quarantine

• 25-09-2020 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I fly into Ireland on Monday from Poland. It’s off the green list effective that day. I intend to obey quarantine but I will not be staying in Ireland for 2 weeks. I’ll be flying out again on Thursday or Friday. Is this allowed under current restrictions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

Renegadema wrote: »
    I fly into Ireland on Monday from Poland. It’s off the green list effective that day. I intend to obey quarantine but I will not be staying in Ireland for 2 weeks. I’ll be flying out again on Thursday or Friday. Is this allowed under current restrictions?

Yes. It’s allowed. Because the quarantine isn’t a yes/no rule. It’s advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I have another question and thought I’d ask it here rather than start a new thread. If someone in a household is restricting their movements after return from a now non green list country, who do other people in the household do? I.e, if a parent flies in from another country and goes home to the house their kids live in, so the kids stay at home also?

jlm29 wrote: »
    I have another question and thought I’d ask it here rather than start a new thread. If someone in a household is restricting their movements after return from a now non green list country, who do other people in the household do? I.e, if a parent flies in from another country and goes home to the house their kids live in, so the kids stay at home also?

This https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/managing-coronavirus-at-home/if-you-live-with-someone-who-has-coronavirus.html guidance would suggests the other family members are free to come and go as normal.

If you scroll down through that link, there is another link which talks about the person restricting, staying in a separate room, having meals delivered to their bedroom, wearing a mask in the house around others etc.

All very extreme imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

3xh wrote: »
    This https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/managing-coronavirus-at-home/if-you-live-with-someone-who-has-coronavirus.html guidance would suggests the other family members are free to come and go as normal.

If you scroll down through that link, there is another link which talks about the person restricting, staying in a separate room, having meals delivered to their bedroom, wearing a mask in the house around others etc.

All very extreme imo.
    It's not unreasonable though if the person ended up having it, while the others are able to mix with outside world, thereby resulting in an outbreak.The alternative is to recommend everyone in that household also restricts their movements for 2-week period.

It's not unreasonable though if the person ended up having it, while the others are able to mix with outside world, thereby resulting in an outbreak.The alternative is to recommend everyone in that household also restricts their movements for 2-week period.

Yeah but then why don’t we restrict our movements after coming back from Liffey Valley SC or whatever? I saw west Dublin had a rate of 196/100,000 or something recently.

Also, if you get a test within 48-72hr before travelling abroad, you can enter a number of countries. But upon return to Ireland, no amount of testing after will remove the ‘advice’ to restrict your movements for 14 days. That’s another example of the disjointed ‘advice’ from the experts.

• Advertisement

Yeah but then why don’t we restrict our movements after coming back from Liffey Valley SC or whatever? I saw west Dublin had a rate of 196/100,000 or something recently.

Also, if you get a test within 48-72hr before travelling abroad, you can enter a number of countries. But upon return to Ireland, no amount of testing after will remove the ‘advice’ to restrict your movements for 14 days. That’s another example of the disjointed ‘advice’ from the experts.

I personally would be of opinion if people go to likes of Liffey Valley, or other areas in Dublin that they don't live in with huge cases, they should consider restricting their movements.

In relation to testing, you could pick it up over there or on way back if holidaying in a country with high incidence rate. You would have to be tested on return on Day 1 and Day 7 and return negative. You could then cut period in half, but who is going to pay for that? If a person is willing to pay for it and is willing to restrict their movement until second test returns a negative, then I think this is something that could be looked at. But it would have to be done privately.

I personally would be of opinion if people go to likes of Liffey Valley, or other areas in Dublin that they don't live in with huge cases, they should consider restricting their movements.

In relation to testing, you could pick it up over there or on way back if holidaying in a country with high incidence rate. You would have to be tested on return on Day 1 and Day 7 and return negative. You could then cut period in half, but who is going to pay for that? If a person is willing to pay for it and is willing to restrict their movement until second test returns a negative, then I think this is something that could be looked at. But it would have to be done privately.

Then it won’t work. Making it private. Way too costly.

Then it won’t work. Making it private. Way too costly.

Exactly. We don't have resources to make it public. They're struggling with testing as it is, saying to people they can travel so long as they get tested twice on return and restrict movements for 8 days will put too much strain on system.

All very extreme imo.

Yes. That’s what I thought would be the guideline. There’s not really any point restricting their movements, mixing with their kids and then sending them to school to mix with all the other kids. If they’re going to do that, they may as well just go about their business.

As regards the private test, they had the means to get one before they left. And to go on a totally unnecessary journey. So I’m sure if they wanted they could come up with the funds for private testing.

Exactly. We don't have resources to make it public. They're struggling with testing as it is, saying to people they can travel so long as they get tested twice on return and restrict movements for 8 days will put too much strain on system.

Yeah but there is capacity there at the moment. It’s just that by going private, the testing facility artificially raise the price just because it’s private.

Germany have been doing free testing as they see the economic benefit to opening up. It’s cheaper to get back as close to before with free testing than shut down for all.

• Advertisement

Yeah but there is capacity there at the moment. It’s just that by going private, the testing facility artificially raise the price just because it’s private.

Germany have been doing free testing as they see the economic benefit to opening up. It’s cheaper to get back as close to before with free testing than shut down for all.

Is there capacity for labs to analyse it though?

ETA: presumably we'd be offering this to people entering the country? If you had someone here on holiday from Spain, would you really trust them to quarantine for 7 days? I wouldn't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

if one person has it in house everyone in most cases will get it.use different bathroom.leave window open .i would get sheets plastic and cover bedroom door.use paper platesmasks eye protection or face protection some hazard suit when doing laundry eat in bedroom
    you could take covid test when you arrive
    some airlines are starting to give tests with results.in an hour

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    if one person has it in house everyone in most cases will get it.use different bathroom.leave window open .i would get sheets plastic and cover bedroom door.use paper platesmasks eye protection or face protection some hazard suit when doing laundry eat in bedroom
    you could take covid test when you arrive
    some airlines are starting to give tests with results.in an hour

It’s not me travelling, it’s the parents of a child in my kids class- I’m pretty sure they’re both in a non-green list country at the moment visiting relatives. I’m just wondering what the guidelines are if They come home- they can’t both isolate from the kids (and I doubt they would).

I’d wonder how a test being returned in an hour was possible? The lab tests take 6 hours to do the actual testing, from what I’ve seen.

It’s not me travelling, it’s the parents of a child in my kids class- I’m pretty sure they’re both in a non-green list country at the moment visiting relatives. I’m just wondering what the guidelines are if They come home- they can’t both isolate from the kids (and I doubt they would).

I’d wonder how a test being returned in an hour was possible? The lab tests take 6 hours to do the actual testing, from what I’ve seen.

jlm29, I put it to you; if you saw this family walking into Liffey Valley or Blanchardstown SC where the highest reported rates in the country are to be found in the area, would you expect them to restrict their movements?

The people who brought you the advice about restricting your movements and green list/non-green list countries that you believe should be followed have also removed countries like Poland and Germany from our green list in the past week yet those countries incident rates are mid-20s per 100,000.

I’m not getting at you but I fear you’re just blindly following the NPHET media briefings, the 6-1 news etc.

Think for yourself instead of this binary way of ‘These parents are going to a non-green list country’ therefore bad.

NPHET have a lot to answer for. As do the media.

I’m not blindly following anyone. But I live in an area with one of the lowest rates of Covid per 100,000 of population in the country. I’d actually be more bothered about someone going through Dublin airport and sitting on a place with a load of randomers and breathing in their sneezes than about them Actually being in another country. I would also consider anyone travelling from where I live to Liffey valley to be absolutely reckless.
    I’ve no control over what these people do anyhow. I just wondered what the current guidelines are, that’s all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

if one person has it in house everyone in most cases will get it./quote]

Do you have a link for that?

It hasn't been that way for two families I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Was the quarantine period not reduced to ten days isolation, I'm sure I seen that in the news a week or two ago.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

sone airports do 1 hour testing

sone airports do 1 hour testing

Yes, I understood what you said. I just don’t know how it’s possible when labs need 6 hours to test accurately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Apparantly there's a home saliva test starting to come out. I think the Brits already have it with results within an hour but there is question marks over how accurate it is. Maybe airlines are using that.

• Advertisement

Apparantly there's a home saliva test starting to come out. I think the Brits already have it with results within an hour but there is question marks over how accurate it is. Maybe airlines are using that.

That’s right. Apparently it’s a 20 min test for a fraction of the cost too, about €7 according to a GP I spoke to.

Advertisement