Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

COUNTDOWN: Top 50 Music Albums Of All-Time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

46th 22 Pts

Blur Parklife (1994)

Chart Peak Ireland/UK/USA:3/1/?
    Singles: "Girls & Boys", "End of a Century", "Parklife" and "To the End"
    Nominated by Rikand, speckle, Y0ssar1an22
    Blur frontman Damon Albarn told NME in 1994, "For me, Parklife is like a loosely linked concept album involving all these different stories. It's the travels of the mystical lager-eater, seeing what's going on in the world and commenting on it." Albarn cited the Martin Amis novel London Fields as a major influence on the album. Oasis guitarist Noel Gallagher was once quoted saying that Parklife was, "Like Southern England personified".

The songs themselves span many genres, such as the synthpop-influenced hit single "Girls & Boys", the instrumental waltz interlude of "The Debt Collector", the punk rock-influenced "Bank Holiday", the spacey, Syd Barrett-esque "Far Out", and the fairly new wave-influenced "Trouble in the Message Centre".

Journalist John Harris commented that while many of the album's songs "reflected Albarn's claims to a bittersweet take on the UK's human patchwork", he stated that several songs, including "To the End" (featuring Lætitia Sadier of Stereolab) and "Badhead" "lay in a much more personal space".

The full story of Parklife as told by those who were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

tenor.gif

20pts for Songs For The Deaf, so the Bronze 14 and Urbansprawl both gave it first place

20pts for Surfer Rosa, so Urbansprawl and Bobby Malone both gave it first place

So Urbansprawl gave first place to Songs For The Deaf and Surfer Rosa?!

No wonder Trump doesn't trust mail in votes :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Parklife!

tenor.gif

20pts for Songs For The Deaf, so the Bronze 14 and Urbansprawl both gave it first place

20pts for Surfer Rosa, so Urbansprawl and Bobby Malone both gave it first place

So Urbansprawl gave first place to Songs For The Deaf and Surfer Rosa?!

No wonder Trump doesn't trust mail in votes :p

Not quite, read OP again. Let's not get bogged down in points, but appreciate the music. Besides, if I were going to fix it, Queens Of The Stone Age would be nowhere near the list.:P

Reberetta wrote: »
    Not quite, read OP again. Let's not get bogged down in points, but appreciate the music. Besides, if I were going to fix it, Queens Of The Stone Age would be nowhere near the list.:P
    Wait, we can have fun without rules? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

I was baffled when I saw my name in the OP list. Haven't a clue what I nominated aside from two of them and, like Necro, I no longer have the PM haha.

45th 23 pts

Prince
    Sign O The Times (1987)
    Playlist
    Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA:10/4/6
    Singles: "Sign o' the Times", "If I Was Your Girlfriend", "U Got the Look""I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man"
    Nominated by newbridgeIR, Strawberry Milkshake
    Sign o' the Times has been regarded by critics as Prince's best album.According to journalist Kristen Pyszczyk, "critics tend to be pretty evenly divided over Prince’s best album: about half will go for Purple Rain, and the rest usually vouch for Sign o' the Times, a double album sometimes regarded as Prince's magnum opus."

In a retrospective review, John McKie of BBC News cited it as "one of the most acclaimed albums of the second half of the 20th century" and a "masterpiece - encompassing all of [Prince's] musical personas: bedroom balladeer; penitent Christian; one-track-mind loverman; modern-day Basie-style bandleader; whimsical storyteller; meticulous orchestrator, guitar-wielding axeman and pop craftsman."

Simon Price deemed it Prince's best album,as did Michaelangelo Matos, who wrote in The Rolling Stone Album Guide (2004) that it was "the most complete example of his artistry's breadth, and arguably the finest album of the 1980s".Matos also believed it was "the last classic R&B album prior to hip hop's takeover of black music and the final four-sided blockbuster of the vinyl era".

Writing in The Brooklyn Rail, Grimstad said that Sign o' the Times is "to be included with other double sets that actually cohere (The White Album, The Basement Tapes, Something/Anything). Proves there is no limit to what [Prince] can do." In a BBC Music review, Daryl Easla also compared the record to the Beatles' The White Album, saying "Although Sign ‘O’ The Times didn’t rival his commercial sales peak of Purple Rain, it is his [The] White Album".

For Susan Rogers, Prince’s sound engineer from 1983 to 1987, Sign O’ the Times was an intentional departure for the artist. “Purple Rain was the work of a brilliant young man,” she tells BBC Culture. “Boys are cocky. Sign O’ the Times was an album made by a grown man. The charts had moved on and hip-hop was taking over. There was a world outside his door; there was restlessness; there was curiosity; there was the Aids epidemic.”

According to Acclaimed Music, it is the 29th most celebrated album in popular music history, and the best album of 1987.

Is Sign O The Times the greatest album of all-time?

Well none of mine have appeared so far, which is unusual as Boards usually hates my taste in music.

I was baffled when I saw my name in the OP list. Haven't a clue what I nominated aside from two of them and, like Necro, I no longer have the PM haha.

I still have the PMs and can forward them on afterwards to those who have forgotten and are curious. Music preference is prone to change and ever evolving I know.

• Advertisement

44th 23 pts

Tom Petty
    Wildflowers (1994)
    Playlist
    Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: ?/36/8
    Singles:You Don't Know How It Feel, "You Wreck Me, It's Good to Be King" , "A Higher Place"
    Nominated by thepurpletin, JP Liz V1
    Wildflowers is not Tom Petty’s tightest album, nor his easiest to listen to. There’s hopelessness and anger; disappointment and regret. Its disparate modes—blues, country, folk, power-pop, torch songs—are connected by the roads, both literal and figurative, that led him to where he found himself: lonely, middle-aged, digging through his consciousness as one would ransack a room to find a small, lost object. “You were so cool back in high school,” he sings smoothly in the last song before switching to his frank, Southern speaking voice: “What happened?” He asks the question and deflates with no hint of poetry or romance, let alone an answer.

In tone and structure, Wildflowers recalls Neil Young’s 1970 album After the Gold Rush. Petty’s lyrics are simple and intuitive (“In the middle of his life/He left his wife”), spoken as plainly as possible. Yet every word comes alive, speaking multitudes. “Don’t be afraid anymore,” he sings in one song, “It’s only a broken heart.” Young once sang something similar, employing the second-person to place himself as the distanced narrator, the wiser voice offering sage advice. But did anyone buy it? You don’t write songs like these when you’re standing back trying to see the big picture: You write them when you’re in the middle of it, unraveling, talking to yourself, looking for a friend.

Reimagining Wildflowers: the haunted triumph about a troubled marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Well none of mine have appeared so far, which is unusual as Boards usually hates my taste in music.

It's possible that none of yours will appear (its only the Top 50 of potentially 500-ish albums), so at the moment its still safe to assume that boards hates your taste in music... ;)

Tom Petty? The Bergkamp over Maradona brigade strikes again. That's me done with this thread

......ok, I'll stay (for now).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Sign O The Times would have been my number 11.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Haven't seen any of mine either, but I know for definite that there are some that haven't a chance of making the top 50. Possibly not even the top 150 tbh.

It's possible that none of yours will appear (its only the Top 50 of potentially 500-ish albums), so at the moment its still safe to assume that boards hates your taste in music... ;)

Oh sugar, I misunderstood the rules.

In that case, yes, it's safe to assume none of mine will make an appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I don't expect any of mine to make it in the top-50 but I will definitely follow the proceedings and make a list of things to listen.
    Interesting to see Wildflowers in the list. A solid album for sure, though Full Moon Fever is probably my favourite of his.

43rd  23 pts

The Pixies
    Doolittle (1989)
    Playlist.
    Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 41/8/98
    Singles: "Here Comes Your Man", "Monkey Gone to Heaven"
    Nominated by speckle, BPKS, NapoleonInRags
    Doolittle features an eclectic mix of musical styles. While tracks such as "Tame" and "Crackity Jones" are fast and aggressive, and incorporate the band's trademark loud–quiet dynamic, other songs such as "Silver", "I Bleed", and "Here Comes Your Man" reveal a quieter, slower and more melodic temperament. With Doolittle, the band began to incorporate further instruments into their sound; for instance, "Monkey Gone to Heaven" features two violins and two cellos.

"Tame" is based on a three chord formula; including Joey Santiago's playing a "Hendrix chord" over the main bass progression. "I Bleed" is melodically simple, and is formed around a single rhythmical repetition. Some songs are influenced by other genres of music; while "Crackity Jones" has a distinctly Spanish sound, and incorporates G♯ and A triads over a C♯ pedal, the song's rhythm guitar, played by Francis, starts with an eighth-note downstroke typical of punk rock music.

The lyrical themes explored on Doolittle range from the surrealism of "Debaser", to the environmental catastrophe of "Monkey Gone to Heaven". The prostitutes of "Mr. Grieves", "Tame", and "Hey" share space with the Biblical analogies of "Dead" and "Gouge Away". Black Francis often claimed that Doolittle's lyrics were words which just "fit together nicely", and that "the point [of the album] is to experience it, to enjoy it, to be entertained by it". Francis wrote all the material for the album with the exception of "Silver", which he co-wrote with Kim Deal.

The album's opening track "Debaser" references surrealism, a theme that runs throughout the album. "Debaser" alludes to Luis Buñuel and Salvador Dalí's 1929 surrealist film Un Chien Andalou, and the lyric "slicing up eyeballs" refers to an early scene in the film.

Surrealism heavily influenced Francis in his college years and throughout his career with the Pixies. In 1989, Francis expressed his interest in surrealism and its influence on his songwriting method to The New York Times by stating "I got into avant-garde movies and Surrealism as an escape from reality. ... To me, Surrealism is totally artificial. I recently read an interview with the director David Lynch who said he had ideas and images but that he didn't know exactly what they meant. That's how I write."

Another of the album's main themes is environmental catastrophe. "Monkey Gone to Heaven" deals with man's destruction of the ocean and "confusion of man's place in the universe". As Francis put it:

"On one hand, it's this big organic toilet. Things get flushed and repurified or decomposed and it's this big, dark, mysterious place. It's also a very mythological place where there are octopus's gardens, the Bermuda Triangle, Atlantis, and mermaids.""Monkey Gone to Heaven" is concerned with man's relationship to the divine, a theme shared with "Mr. Grieves".

Two songs on Doolittle are fashioned after Biblical stories: the story of David and Bathsheba in "Dead", and Samson and Delilah in "Gouge Away".

Francis' fascination with Biblical themes can be traced back to his teenage years; when he was twelve, he and his parents joined an evangelical church linked to the Assemblies of God. This background was to be an influence in Doolittle, where he referred to the Devil being "six" and God being "seven" in "Monkey Gone to Heaven".

Other songs explored eccentric subjects, such as in "Wave of Mutilation", which Francis described as being about "Japanese businessmen doing murder-suicides with their families because they'd failed in business, and they're driving off a pier into the ocean."

The sea and underwater themes of "Wave of Mutilation", which also feature in "Mr. Grieves" and "Monkey Gone to Heaven", are explorations of one arena for man's death and destruction. Ben Sisario points out that the album begins ("Debaser") and ends ("Gouge Away") with songs about violence being done to eyes. "Crackity Jones" covers another offbeat subject; Francis' roommate in his student exchange trip to San Juan, Puerto Rico, who he described as a "weird psycho gay roommate".

Doolittle also references more ostensibly conventional subjects. "La La Love You", sung by the band's drummer David Lovering, is a love song—though with its "first base, second base, third base, home run" break, it's been referred to as "a dig at the very idea of a love song". Francis gave it to Lovering as a song to sing, "like a Ringo thing"; Lovering at first refused to sing, but Norton said that soon he was unable to "get him away from the microphone". As well as lead vocals on "La La Love You", Lovering played bass guitar on "Silver", with Deal playing slide guitar; this arrangement did not occur again.

Classic album: Doolittle

NME: Doolittle at 30.

Independent: Doolittle at 30.

Ten stories behind Doolittle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Looking back at what I submitted and I reckon only one (maybe two at a push) of my choices will make the Top 50 - went for albums that have personally played a massive part in my life rather than albums that are universally considered the greatest ones of all time.

That was a massive consideration for me as well. That and not doubling up on bands' contributions.

Doolittle..that's more like it. Fun band the Pixies.

• Advertisement

Surprised to see Doolittle down so low, thought it'd probably crack the top 20.

A climactic battle of soporific dad rock awaits.

50th 20 Pts

Queens Of The Stone Age
    Songs For The Deaf (2002)

Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 32/4/17
    Singles:  "No One Knows", "Go with the Flow",  "First It Giveth"
    Nominated by theBronze14, Urbansprawl

I had it in my choices, but the self-titled first album and Era Vulgaris for me are their best and I think QOTSA edged it.

SFTD is a stonker. Still gets played with seriouss regularity anyway. Great choice though. No way the other two are in the Top 50. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I never knew Songs for the Deaf was a concept album. Learnt something new straight away.

Tempted to (re)listen to all 50 of these albums over the next while.

42nd 24 pts

Bob Dylan
    Blonde On Blonde (1966)
    Playlist
    Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: ?/3/9
    Singles: "Rainy Day Women No. 12 & 35" , "I Want You", "One of Us Must Know", "Just Like a Woman", "Leopard-Skin Pillbox Hat
    Nominated by splashthecash, corm500
    Dylan said: "The closest I ever got to the sound I hear in my mind was on individual bands in the Blonde on Blonde album. It's that thin, that wild mercury sound. It's metallic and bright gold, with whatever that conjures up."

Recorded fast with Nashville session cats who were used to grinding out country hits, Blonde on Blonde has a slick studio polish that makes it sound totally unlike any of his other albums, with sparkling piano frills and a soulful ****kicker groove. Yet the glossy surface just makes the songs more haunting. Released on May 16th, 1966, Blonde on Blonde remains the pinnacle of Dylan’s genius – he never sounded lonelier than in “Visions of Johanna,” funnier than in “I Want You,” more desperate than in “Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again.” It’s his most expansive music, with nothing that resembles a folk song – just the rock & roll laments of a vanishing American, the doomed outsider who’s given up on ever belonging anywhere. “I don’t consider myself outside of anything,” Dylan said when the album came out. “I just consider myself not around.”

These guys were punch-the-clock pros, used to regular working hours and three-minute country sides, so they had to adjust to Dylan’s more eccentric approach. He kept them waiting around the studio office playing cards long after midnight, as he put the feverish final touches on a song he was still writing. He finally called them into the studio at 4 a.m. and started playing. But they were taken aback when the song didn’t end after three minutes – every time they thought they’d played the final chorus, this guy would jump right into another verse. “I was playing one-handed, looking at my watch,” Buttrey once said. “We’d never heard anything like this before.” Nearly 12 minutes later, they’d played “Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands.”

The album’s first session would produce the epochal “Visions of Johanna,” which Dylan first debuted in 1965 at a Berkeley concert attended by Allen Ginsberg and Joan Baez (who insisted the song was about her). With Kooper’s organ and Robertson’s trebly guitar shadowing Dylan’s lyrics, which go on for five image-stuffed verses, the song turns a recollection of a hazy New York night into a liquid meditation on carnal obsession and spiritual desire. At seven minutes long, it also suggested this wasn’t going to be just another series of recording dates.

“It was really … ‘far out’ would be the term I would have used at the time,” said Bill Aikins, who played keyboards on the song. “And still today, it was a very out-there song.” As Dylan later said, “I’d never done anything like it before.”

Blonde on Blonde came a few months after Rubber Soul, and it clearly spurred Dylan to step up his melodic game. “4th Time Around” was his famous parody of “Norwegian Wood” – a song he cruelly played in person for John Lennon. (As Lennon told Rolling Stone in 1968, “He said, ‘What do you think?’ I said, ‘I don’t like it.'”) But talk about the anxiety of influence: Maybe Dylan had to mock “Norwegian Wood” just to hide how much Rubber Soul was lurking behind “Visions of Johanna” or “Sad Eyed Lady.”

Dylan scholar Michael Gray wrote: "To have followed up one masterpiece with another was Dylan's history making achievement here ... Where Highway 61 Revisited has Dylan exposing and confronting like a laser beam in surgery, descending from outside the sickness, Blonde on Blonde offers a persona awash inside the chaos ... We're tossed from song to song ... The feel and the music are on a grand scale, and the language and delivery are a unique mixture of the visionary and the colloquial.

Vivid, Warm and Biting: Blonde on Blonde turns 50.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I never knew Songs for the Deaf was a concept album. Learnt something new straight away.

Tempted to (re)listen to all 50 of these albums over the next while.

KRDL (Curdle) and KLON[e] radio. :)

41st 24 Pts

Fever Ray
    Fever Ray (2009)
    Playlist
    Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 50/90/?
    Singles:  "If I Had a Heart", "When I Grow Up", "Triangle Walks" and "Seven".
    Nominated by Homer J. Fong, Arghus

"An album that allowed me to appreciate electronic music in a new way. I hated it at first, but it grew on me, to the point that I fell in love with it's mysterious atmosphere and mixture of childlike vocals and sinister moods. Chilly and warm, strange and familiar. It conjures up evocative feelings inside me that I can't fully articulate. "
    Alexander Tudor wrote for Drowned in Sound that "minimal beats on each track prove to have been constructed with incredible attention to detail, as are the smooth synth washes, and electronic simulacra of birdcall or animal noises. The tempo may be nightmarishly unvaried, track after track, but it's composed of glitches [and] bouncing balls", citing "Keep the Streets Empty for Me" as the album's best track.

In a review for AllMusic, Heather Phares opined that "Fever Ray's mix of confessional lyrics and chilly, blatantly synthetic and often harsh sounds make this album as successful an electronic singer/songwriter album as Björk's Homogenic." Phares continued, "With almost tangible textures and a striking mood of isolation and singularity, Fever Ray is a truly strange but riveting album."

Alexis Petridis of The Guardian felt that the album's "dolorous chords and stately rhythms recall the Cure, circa Faith, the glacial pace makes you think of the Blue Nile", noting that, "as unlikely a step as Fever Ray may seem for one of electronic music's most enigmatic figures, the results are triumphant."

BBC Music's Chris Jones called the album "bloody marvellous", while observing "a vague sense of holding pattern here rather than massive innovation. Without brother Olof as a guiding hand on the droning sequencers the tunes fall a bit by the wayside", but wrote that "this very tiny drawback doesn't stop Fever Ray from being the kind of brilliant album that it may not make sense to play if you're prone to nightmares."

The Guardian named Fever Ray the second best album of 2009, calling it "[g]lacial, creepy and impish" and commenting, "Between the cavernous synths, the echoes and loops, the polyrhythms and snarling vocal processing, Andersson managed to capture the feeling of being totally alone while also projecting a childlike wonder."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Haven't seen any of my noms yet, but I'm only confident in my top 3 picks making it into the top 50 and i think all 3 of those will be quiet high in this, they are popular albums

I can't believe Fever Ray made the list.

Delighted.

41st 24 Pts

Fever Ray
    Fever Ray (2009)
    Nominated by Homer J. Fong, Arghus
    You legends! That's an incredible album and I'm ashamed I didn't think of it

• Advertisement

Joint 39th 25 pts

Linkin Park
    Meteora (2003)

Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: 1/1/1
    Singles: "Somewhere I Belong", "Faint", "Numb", "From the Inside", and "Breaking the Habit"
    Nominated by Sawduck, Also Starring LeVar Burton

"As an angsty teen, this album just really appealed to me. As an angsty adult, even moreso, especially songs like Somewhere I Belong."
    Lyrically the album contains elements including depressing emotions, anger, and recovery. Explaining to MTV, Bennington said: "We don't talk about situations, we talk about the emotions behind the situations. Mike and I are two different people, so we can't sing about the same things, but we both know about frustration and anger and loneliness and love and happiness, and we can relate on that level." In the same interview, Shinoda explained it as: "What we really wanted to do was just push ourselves and push each other to really find new ways to be creative." He continued: "We wanted each sample that was in each song to be something that might perk your ear – something that you might not have ever heard before."

In titling the album, Mike said that "Meteora was a word that caught my attention because it sounded huge." Dave, Joe, and Chester elaborated that just like how Meteora, the rock formations in Greece, is very epic, dramatic, and has great energy, the band wanted the album to have that same feeling.

Meteora has sold around 16 million copies worldwide, making it one of the best-selling albums of the 21st century. 

Meteora in profile.

Led Zeppelin
    Led Zeppelin I (1969)

Chart Peak Ireland /UK/ USA: ?/6/10
    Singles:  "Good Times Bad Times".
    Nominated by splashthecash, Baronvon
    Recorded in 30 hours of studio time stretched over a three-week period (“I know because I paid the bill,” Page said), Zeppelin’s debut was hardly a high-concept affair; its making has been compared to the breakneck daylong session the Beatles pulled to cut Please Please Me in 1963. Yet the essential elements the band would expand on over the next decade are all in place: There’s a miasmic psychedelic blues trip (“Dazed and Confused”), high-def Fifties revisionism (“Communication Breakdown”), shifts from tender ballad to metal body slam (“Babe I’m Gonna Leave You”), and rips-cum-retooling of folk, blues and even classical on John Paul Jones’ Bach-bitten organ intro to “Your Time Is Gonna Come” — all unified by the band’s undeniable brute force.

In Britain the album received a glowing review in Melody Maker. Chris Welch wrote, in a review titled "Jimmy Page triumphs – Led Zeppelin is a gas!": "their material does not rely on obvious blues riffs, although when they do play them, they avoid the emaciated feebleness of most so-called British blues bands".

In Oz, Felix Dennis regarded it as one of those rare albums that "defies immediate classification or description, simply because it's so obviously a turning point in rock music that only time proves capable of shifting it into eventual perspective".

In comparing the record to their follow-up Led Zeppelin II, Robert Christgau wrote in The Village Voice that the debut was "subtler and more ambitious musically", and not as good, "because subtlety defeated the effect. Musicianship, in other words, was really incidental to such music, but the music did have real strength and validity: a combination of showmanship and overwhelming physical force.

Inside Led Zeppelin's debut.

Track by track guide.

Advertisement