Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Results: September 2020 €40,000 Watch collection Challenge

• 26-09-2020 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭

Well done to all that Entered: Redlead, Ofally Jones, 896bet, Blue500, Unkle, Cyrus, banie01 and eljiono. All great entries. Despite what people though Wibbs did not enter the contest.

After a Week of Voting the scores have been counted and we have a winner.

Congratulations to CYRUS for his winning collection with 30.77 percent of the vote .

Slide6.jpg

Also congratulations to 896bet as Runner up with 20.51%. The money total did not effect the rankings.

Slide3.jpg

As the winner I would not ask Cyrus to think about and PM me the conditions and criteria for next months challenge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭893bet

Cyrus got my vote!

I have send on my bank details for the prize money!

(Also who is wibbs alter ego??).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

893bet wrote: »
    (Also who is wibbs alter ego??).
    I sat back and watched because the hard sums blew what passes for my brain. :D Nice lineup from Cyrus, covers most people's bases I reckon.

I voted D cos they had me at Longines Nonius. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,418 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Wibbs wrote: »

That's which entry I actually thought was yours! :D

If memory serves, I think I voted F.
    Well done Cyrus, nice well rounded 5some.

INice lineup from Cyrus, covers most people's bases I reckon.
    D

100 percent.

When I look objectively at my own choices, as a group, they all seem very one dimensional. Style wise I seem to have become a one trick pony.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

I voted for Cyrus also.

I'll try and join the next game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

2 nice collections. Out of interest, how many votes for 1st and 2nd?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

12 for 1st and 8 for 2nd

It's actually a great collection. A gold and silver dress watch is a good idea.

hitemfrank wrote: »
    12 for 1st and 8 for 2nd

Me and whoever B was tied for 3rd! :D
    It did make me think quite a bit more about what I really wanted, versus what I thought was cool.

Really enjoyed this little exercise.

I sat back and watched because the hard sums blew what passes for my brain. :D Nice lineup from Cyrus, covers most people's bases I reckon.

It'd be too easy to spot yours, it'd be a vintage collection of mental shít :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Cienciano wrote: »
    It'd be too easy to spot yours, it'd be a vintage collection of mental shít :pac:
    Bingo! :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I think its much harder putting together a collection than just single watches you like. You can try cover all the bases, or try to maintain a theme both are valid. Try get in various complications and colours, stick to one brand or spread it around. One heavy hitter and filler or spread the budget evenly? Its a hard task. And then to have it with a broad enough appeal that it gets votes. Interesting exercise, and one that surprised me with :

1. The lack of Rolex in general.
    2. The number of dress watches.
    3. Cartier made a strong showing from nowhere, nobody talks about it.
    4. The amount of leather strap watches over bracelets.
    5. I would have thought grand seiko would have made a strong outing.

Cyrus is already plotting next months. And this time I will give it a try myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

Fitz II wrote: »
    Interesting exercise, and one that surprised me with :

1. The lack of Rolex in general.
    2. The number of dress watches.
    3. Cartier made a strong showing from nowhere, nobody talks about it.
    4. The amount of leather strap watches over bracelets.
    5. I would have thought grand seiko would have made a strong outing.

Also how heavily German watches featured. I was thinking of doing a non Swiss collection as the competition if I won but that would have been pointless almost .

The amount of dress watches is the one that surprised me most as I doubt it's replicated in many peoples actual collections. In my head my next watch will be a dress watch but I need to justify it to myself that I'll actually get a chance to wear it. It will either be a Cartier (haven't decided which one yet because I've fallen in love with several) or a JLC moonphase calender (I think you actually have one Fitz?). Not strictly a dress watch but close enough .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Well done Cyrus, looking forward to seeing your twist on the competition. It's tougher to pick 40k of watches that other people might like than I thought. Well, at least Wibbs liked my selection:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

I voted for Cyrus. The GO was the clincher. Lovely watch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 64,675 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I also voted for Cyrus. Not so much for the collection. But his Glashütte was by far the most amazingly good looking watch in the entire competition. Head and shoulders above the rest. That watch won it. Despite the submariner :pac: Hey there seems light at the end of phase 4 for me so :p

I am also a big fan of GO. Nearly bought one! The Panoreserve in blue or grey is my pick of their range for me. They are bricks of watches though. Front on you assume a slim dress style watch! Not so. All 13mm+ thick and wear big due to design.

Just realised I seem to have drifted towards German watchmaking with 3/5.... or even 4/5 (iwc are obviously Swiss but have some German connections and certainly similar styling). Very intradesting smithers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Voted for yours 893 - D.Dornbluth representing those microbrands ;) - definitely check them out - there was a watchfinder video on them a while ago which shows the fine work they do.

Interesting question is did anyone get tempted by the watches they found during the search?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

Thirdfox wrote: »

Interesting question is did anyone get tempted by the watches they found during the search?

No because sadly my bank balance is still my bank balance :-P

Thirdfox wrote: »

Yep, the Bregeut XXI @10hz is one that really caught my eye TBH.
    That said, the Sinn Damazener is where I'd leave my cash.

• Advertisement
Advertisement