Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old fashioned lights

• 25-09-2020 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭

Ok so I know LED lights are where it’s at, but I am looking for a bit of nostalgia this year, a homage to happy Christmas pasts. As a kid I remember the multi coloured little petal covered lights, lanterns and various other shapes. Does anyone know where I could source something similar? A lot of sites are selling second hand old lights, but I’d be worried about the safety of them TBH. Any links or ideas, please fire them up here, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

I've been looking for the same for years. I got lantern ones a few years back in the M50 christmas shop, I didnt see them last year though. I bought a box of multi coloured fairy lights in Arnotts last year. They were the old fashioned colours that had the same glow as I remember growing up. I was specifically looking for ones that had that old pink colour that's different to the colour you get in Penny's. They're called Noma classic I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

Threw several sets on a skip last week while clearing out my late mothers house. they would have been from the 60's. I don't believe they were working :(

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Homestore and more had all the old fashioned colours last year and they were beautiful. I know they did smaller sets with lantern's on them but I have a feeling they were just the small battery powered ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I’ve been wanting these for years!! I miss the proper pink so much as we always did colour on the tree. I can’t see noma with pink online but will definitely check homestore and more this year

I literally coloured in leds with a marker to try and get the effect last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Deals had them last year, I remember looking at them with the mrs and we had a chuckle about them becoming back in vogue a tad... as much as I love my retro I much prefer the LED's we have as they really brighten up the place. Not a fan of the different colours either TBH, though I do remember them growing up and took them for granted, its really only since I moved out & lived by myself that my preference changed to limiting the colours of my decorations.

The ones in Deals were pretty good value too, so i'd check them out after Halloween.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

My husband is picky. He doesn’t want a fire hazard so I’m trying to find a set where they’ve got a half decent LED pink. The search goes on

I’ve been wanting these for years!! I miss the proper pink so much as we always did colour on the tree. I can’t see noma with pink online but will definitely check homestore and more this year

I literally coloured in leds with a marker to try and get the effect last year

https://www.ukchristmasworld.com/products/40-pickwick-indoor-fairy-christmas-lights-multi-coloured.html

Lanterns! Don't show the OH just get the lights on when he's out LOL

Mutleyboo wrote: »
    https://www.ukchristmasworld.com/products/40-pickwick-indoor-fairy-christmas-lights-multi-coloured.html

Sorry not lanterns but old fashioned ones..
    Got too excited

DvB wrote: »
    Deals had them last year, I remember looking at them with the mrs and we had a chuckle about them becoming back in vogue a tad... as much as I love my retro I much prefer the LED's we have as they really brighten up the place. Not a fan of the different colours either TBH, though I do remember them growing up and took them for granted, its really only since I moved out & lived by myself that my preference changed to limiting the colours of my decorations.

The ones in Deals were pretty good value too, so i'd check them out after Halloween.

Must check Dealz this year... I picked up some coloured leds last year and when I plugged them in I had to get the sunnys out and find a glow stick to go raving LOL. I do like the led white lights though. I did one year just put white leds up and it looked very classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Me and my wife have no kids yet so at Christmas time we would have our friends over to ours for drinks a lot. Last year was the first year in the ten we have been living together that we didn't have the multi coloured lights on our tree and instead just used the bright yellow ones. One of my mates was devastated as he said we were the last "quality street" Christmas tree left of anyone that he would call round to! It's a great name for that kind of tree when you think about it ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I remember these well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

Noma also do Victorian Lantern and Canterbury Bell style lights. I have both of them. They're usually in stock from around October/November.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I have bought retro ones in Johnstown Garden Centre a few years and have also seen them stocked in Arnotts and Newlands Cross Garden Centre. I can't quite remember brand possibly Noma.
    I mix them with warm white super brights and the tree looks great :)

Sundew wrote: »
    I have bought retro ones in Johnstown Garden Centre a few years and have also seen them stocked in Arnotts and Newlands Cross Garden Centre. I can't quite remember brand possibly Noma.
    I mix them with warm white super brights and the tree looks great :)

Colour or white?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

:P
    Colour or white?

It was colour ones I bought. Must take a closer look at them.this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

I think the closest the op will get is Noma Pickwick or Noma Canterbury Belles to look like the old fashioned sets. They're bulb and fillament, like the old sets, and they also do a Victorian Lantern set but that one isn't easy to find.
    I have a set of the Canterbury Belles and they are gorgeous....very nostalgic with the colours and shades they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lovelight77

Noma Pickwick lights are currently on offer in Brown Thomas at 5euro!

Not sure if it is an error so I would get in quick if you are looking for these nostalgic lights. I just bought a couple of sets.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Wow, that's a mad price!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Accidentally

Be warned, lots of problems with bulbs blowing and whole sets going down. Lovely when the work, but a pain to identify and replace bad bulbs

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Yes, they were a pain when a bulb blew, and the heat off them was unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Me and my wife have no kids yet so at Christmas time we would have our friends over to ours for drinks a lot. Last year was the first year in the ten we have been living together that we didn't have the multi coloured lights on our tree and instead just used the bright yellow ones. One of my mates was devastated as he said we were the last "quality street" Christmas tree left of anyone that he would call round to! It's a great name for that kind of tree when you think about it ha.

I don’t give a ****.
    I just bought a new house this year and I’m having a quality street Christmas tree this year.

Posy wrote: »
    Wow, that's a mad price!

I went to buy them about 20 mins after your post and it wouldn't let me check out... then went to sold out.. either priced wrong or a lot more people on this forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Accidentally

Good for you. Just buy 4 sets from BT

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

screamer wrote: »
    Ok so I know LED lights are where it’s at, but I am looking for a bit of nostalgia this year, a homage to happy Christmas pasts. As a kid I remember the multi coloured little petal covered lights, lanterns and various other shapes. Does anyone know where I could source something similar? A lot of sites are selling second hand old lights, but I’d be worried about the safety of them TBH. Any links or ideas, please fire them up here, thanks.

The range have an excellent christmas section every year, including a massive lights section. Might be worth checking them out.

Be warned, lots of problems with bulbs blowing and whole sets going down. Lovely when the work, but a pain to identify and replace bad bulbs

I have two sets of Noma lights. They will still work if bulbs go except the "fuse bulb". You can identify the fuse bulb easily as it has a white top. It's worth getting a few spares as I find they need to be replaced every year or two. You get one spare fuse and coloured bulb with the set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

I don’t give a ****.
    I just bought a new house this year and I’m having a quality street Christmas tree this year.

Good on ye !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    The range have an excellent christmas section every year, including a massive lights section. Might be worth checking them out.

I’ll take a look, the home store lights are garish, hopefully the range have better choices

Advertisement