Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Maynooth university want to share details with HSE

• 25-09-2020 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭

Just got this email this morning from Maynooth University. They want to just share details with the HSE.

"I wish to let you know that Maynooth University may share your contact details (name, telephone number, email address) with the HSE to support the contact tracing work of the public health authorities.

The University will only share this data in order to assist the public health authorities with contacting students or staff who may have been in close contact with a person who has tested positive for Covid-19. You can be assured that only these limited contact details will be shared and solely to comply with public health requirements. Your student ID number or other personal identifying data will not be shared.

The University has developed the MU Check-in App, which you are encouraged to download and use (available from Google Play Store and Apple Store). This App allows you to scan the QR code for the seat you occupy in each teaching venue so that your location is noted. The location data and the contact details will be used to help the University support the work of the HSE public health teams who may contact you if necessary. I wish to assure you that the University will not use any data collected by the App for any other purpose."

They dont monitor microchipped dogs this way!! Where are GPRD rules?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

You mean the exact same as any pub or restaurant? Non story.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Where are GPRD rules?

In force. They are telling you how they will use your info under gdpr rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

In force. They are telling you how they will use your info under gdpr rules.

Dont they have to seek my permission?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

Notifiable infectious disease. Legal obligation to cooperate with public health/hse. GDPR can get stuffed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

So you DON'T want to be notified if you've been in close contact with somene who has tested positive for COVID and have a test arranged in a timely manner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭duffman13

Whats the issue?

GDPR? Are they using this data for any reason other than its intended use?

Also that email answers the above and says the app is encouraged to be downloaded, doesn't say mandatory

Sardonicat wrote: »
    So you DON'T want to be notified if you've been in close contact with somene who has tested positive for COVID and have a test arranged in a timely manner?

ahhh Nope. 99.4% are recovered from it. I have an overactive immune system so it is not a problem. There is no 10% fatality in the population as predicted

duffman13 wrote: »
    Whats the issue?

GDPR? Are they using this data for any reason other than its intended use?

Also that email answers the above and says the app is encouraged to be downloaded, doesn't say mandatory

What if the app was used to mark the roll call for class or book seats?
    They always use the data for more than it was intended for.

Well then they arent using it for the reasons intended. Do most universities not require you to swipe your student card for role call anyway at the door?

Also you should mail the college because using it as a seat booking tool would be a great way to ensure you only sit beside the same people thus reducing the number of contacts in the event of a positive case

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Cakes and Ale

Paranoid much. The 'roll call' for class would be outlined somewhere in the module guide. If it isn't there, then nobody would be collecting it.

• Advertisement

duffman13 wrote: »
    Well then they arent using it for the reasons intended. Do most universities not require you to swipe your student card for role call anyway at the door?

Also you should mail the college because using it as a seat booking tool would be a great way to ensure you only sit beside the same people thus reducing the number of contacts in the event of a positive case

not at Maynooth or DCU they dont ......yet.
    No you sign a roll call sheet.
    Loads of people I know have told the college that is not on.

not at Maynooth or DCU they dont ......yet.
    No you sign a roll call sheet.
    Loads of people I know have told the college that is not on.

From a covid perspective they'll hopefully introduce it anyway, way better than signing a sheet anyway. NCI have a machine to tap when going into a room, thought that was the norm, obviously not!

As for telling the college its not on, thats personal choice tbh. I don't see an issue with it plus from what you put in the OP its not mandatory so just ignore it of your that way inclined

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,156 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

. I have an overactive immune system so it is not a problem.

That may be a danger sign. It was being reported some time ago that immune systems putting a lot of effort into fighting this disease can result in symptoms worsening. It was also suggested that this was one of the reasons some otherwise very fit and healthy younger people were dying from this

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,156 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Didn't the Data Commissioner indicate that public health trumps data rights in this pandemic?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Dont they have to seek my permission?

Not in matters of public health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sconsey

ahhh Nope. 99.4% are recovered from it. I have an overactive immune system so it is not a problem. There is no 10% fatality in the population as predicted

hmmm not trying spook you or anything but an overactive immune system is not necessarily a good thing in terms of Covid. Most of the lung damage is caused by the immune system triggering too much inflamation and subsequentally causing permanent scarring of the lungs....https://www.newscientist.com/term/cytokine-storm/

Obvs I am not a doctor or anything near to that but I do think a lot of people are a but naive to their potential risks. I remember hearing a figure of something like 15 to 20% of the population are technically high risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

You always have the option to not go to college in protest. How dare they ask for people's help during a global pandemic. Just because the country provides free/subsidised higher education they think they have the right to ask for peope to do things for the greater good. Stuff them and their PDGR breaches. Thank God you will be ok anyway Skitterblue.

Actually, an overactive immune system is a very big problem if you contract COVID. Also, it's not about the people who recover easily, it's about those it's likely to kill . Maybe someone on your course or a lecturer is vulnerable or a carer or living with vulnerable people. Someone you may interact with throughout the day. It ain't all about you. It's incredible how many solipsistic individuals with the perspective of toddlers who think they are the centre of the universe this virus has exposed. I wonder will a cure be found for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

As a Maynooth resident I hope all the rest of the students aren't as selfish as you.

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    As a Maynooth resident I hope all the rest of the students aren't as selfish as you.

That is the same amount of people who die from a normal flu. It will sweep the elderly with 2 and 3 pre conditions and youths with immune deficiencies the same as in Italy.

• Advertisement

Actually, an overactive immune system is a very big problem if you contract COVID. Also, it's not about the people who recover easily, it's about those it's likely to kill . Maybe someone on your course or a lecturer is vulnerable or a carer or living with vulnerable people. Someone you may interact with throughout the day. It ain't all about you. It's incredible how many solipsistic individuals with the perspective of toddlers who think they are the centre of the universe this virus has exposed. I wonder will a cure be found for that?

Well I dont know anyone who has died with Covid. The PCR test is no standard to gauge by. There is no food shortage and there are no bodies being stacked up. Ever feel you have been conned?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

That is the same amount of people who die from a normal flu. It will sweep the elderly with 2 and 3 pre conditions and youths with immune deficiencies the same as in Italy.

Ah, that's grand so. Who cares about those people. Useless, most likely.

Well I dont know anyone who has died with Covid. The PCR test is no standard to gauge by. There is no food shortage and there are no bodies being stacked up. Ever feel you have been conned?
    You don't know snyour who died hence those who die are irrelevant because they don't exist to you. I was being tongue in cheek when I referred to solipsism but you actually are the bona fide article, aren't you?

OK. Carry on.
    Is this your first year in Maynooth, out of interest?

So you really DON'T give a sh1t? OK. Carry on.
    Is this your first year in Maynooth, out of interest?

No. Do you know anyone who has actually died of covid without a preexisting condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭karlitob

31,000 die in the state each year - I’m sure you don’t know a lot of those people or what they’ve died from.

As with cervical screening, I’ll take my advice on the psychometric properties of any test from experts, such as those on NPHET, rather than you.

No one ever said there would be a food shortage. Lots of people said at the start of this pandemic that there may be a potential disruption in supply chains because of Covid. This hasn’t materialised for a number of reasons, least not the preparation of government, public bodies and private business for Brexit which really helped. You’re welcome.

I’m not sure how using the absence of pilled up bodies in ireland in some sort of valid check-mate on your part. It is clear what happened in places like New York and Bergamo. It didn’t happen here because we prepared and responded brilliant. You’re welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'd say there are more entities that know your details than you know yourself these days.

Just go with the flow what is the problem? That GDPR has made some of us into reclusive beings regarding our details, but a click of a button and those who need to know about us will know about us. And some who don't need to know either!

No. Do you know anyone who has actually died of covid without a preexisting condition?

Does having a pre existing condition make someone expendable? Shoulld we let all diabetics die, asthmatics, people with a heart condition? Not worth the inconvenience, eh?

Do you have to actually experience something for it to become real to you? Not great on the old abstract reasoning, are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,139 ✭✭✭✭noodler

No.

I'm sorry.

So much wrong in one post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭karlitob

While you might like to think you’re being clever about this, you’re off point.

Most people in the world have a pre-existing condition. Clearly, the frequency is higher the older you get.

Most deaths in Ireland are due to cardiorespiratory issues and neoplasms. Nearly all of those people have a pre-existing health condition - the older the more frequent. By your obtuse logic, we shouldnt bother our backsides trying to stop people dying from heart attacks, COPD, pneumonia or cancer if they have an underlying health condition and if that prevention affects you and others in society. So lift the smoking ban, lift the smokey coal ban, etc. Let pubs open whenever they want and serve whoever they want, at any age they want and at any level of intoxication they want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

I feel I have... paying taxes to attempt to educate
    some of todays youth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement