Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sage Barista Express

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Klopp wrote: »
    I descaled my Sage using UrnexCafiza i ordered on Amazon, the delivery took 5 weeks but otherwise i would recommend.

To anyone looking to remove the burr to ajust the grind setting.

I removed my own burr grinder, the first time i found it easy to remove and it clicked back in but the second time it wouldn't click or if it did wasn't a loud click like the first time and i spent ages listening out for the loud click which never happened. The burr is lined up to the lock position and grinder is working away. The flimsy wire is lazy engineering on the design and i found it difficult so be careful.

I think the upper burr with clip can be bought. Its around 20 quid. You are dead right about the wire. Lazy afterthought for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Klopp

I think the upper burr with clip can be bought. Its around 20 quid. You are dead right about the wire. Lazy afterthought for sure.

Yes, the one good thing Sage have is the replacement of the moving parts. Luckily i don't need a new burr just yet, the grind seems to be working, i might move it back to the default setting tomorrow and see if it clicks back in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Any generic kettle descaler will do. The programme itself is very short as in the descaler doesn't sit long in the machine. I usually repeat the process a couple of times with descaler in the tank and then do the rinse part a few times too.

Because the descaler doesn't sit in the machine for long it wont actually remove any solid deposits. Therefore I find it better to carry out the descaling regularly so those deposits dont get a chance to build up!

If the machine gets badly clogged with scale you will have a pain in your ass trying to find someone who will repair it. You may end up having to bin it! Its vital!
    All depends on your water hardness of course. Mine is very bad

Cheers!! I have done the cleaning cycle with the provided tablets, but thats a backflush and not a descale.

Im good mates with the local coffee shop, so I might ask him for some espresso cleaning tabs whilst I wait on mine as the light is flashing. Ill run a descale cycle too as I havent ran that yet.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Cheers!! I have done the cleaning cycle with the provided tablets, but thats a backflush and not a descale.

Im good mates with the local coffee shop, so I might ask him for some espresso cleaning tabs whilst I wait on mine as the light is flashing. Ill run a descale cycle too as I havent ran that yet.

Half a tablet or the powder equivalent will do if it's a product used for cleaning commercial machines. Break the half tablet up so it dissolves better.

(I used to be a coffee machine service engineer in the uk)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I bought some tablets on Amazon for the back flush, any recommendations on filters? How often should a descale be done?

I had to adjust my internal burr to the lowest setting with the grind on 2. Fair difference between 2 and 1 on the dial, one borderline chokes the machine while the other one is probably the 12 o clock position. Finding it very hard to dial in due to having to adjust the internal burr so much. Fresh espresso beans from Bell Lane and Badger & Dodo have the same result. I wonder should I look into that spacer from Sage people talk about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭flipflophead22

Out of curiosity is there anything on par with this in a similar price range?

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I bought some tablets on Amazon for the back flush, any recommendations on filters? How often should a descale be done?

I had to adjust my internal burr to the lowest setting with the grind on 2. Fair difference between 2 and 1 on the dial, one borderline chokes the machine while the other one is probably the 12 o clock position. Finding it very hard to dial in due to having to adjust the internal burr so much. Fresh espresso beans from Bell Lane and Badger & Dodo have the same result. I wonder should I look into that spacer from Sage people talk about?

How many grams of beans are you using?

I had to adjust my internal burr yesterday for fresh beans I bought ( Rave signature blend ) it was at 6 by default and I moved it to 5. I moved the dial back and after a few attempts settled on 6 ( Coarser )with 18.5g of beans and I am getting pressure and can taste the difference.

If anyone is looking around or interested, i bought these Descaler sachets off Amazon and have had no issue. The important part as you know is to flush out using a full tank of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I've been trying not to buy a B2C machine for ages. We use a bog standard krups 75 grinder (single blade) and a bialetti moka express. The coffee tastes really good. Wondering if people have changed from manual like this to b2c, and "never looked back" or similar?

I use the default Portafilter and no issue with it. I never cared much about the plastic insert inside until I read online some people take out the plastic insert with conflicting stories about its purpose? I am toying with the idea of buying a Bottomless Portafilter, my main question is has anyone else bought one and noticed any differences apart from the ascetics and looks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Just on price, it is well worth shopping around. I bought mine near black friday from Amazon for £378. They occasionally drop it down. I saw it in harvery norman for 640!

How many grams of beans are you using?

I had to adjust my internal burr yesterday for fresh beans I bought ( Rave signature blend ) it was at 6 by default and I moved it to 5. I moved the dial back and after a few attempts settled on 6 ( Coarser )with 18.5g of beans and I am getting pressure and can taste the difference.

Using around 18g. Internal burr on 1 and the dial on 2-3 was the only way to slow the extraction time. Taste still isn't great, I've managed this long as I'm mainly doing cappuccino.

Using around 18g. Internal burr on 1 and the dial on 2-3 was the only way to slow the extraction time. Taste still isn't great, I've managed this long as I'm mainly doing cappuccino.

I adjusted the burr on my own and ended up switching it back to the default setting of 6. With the same beans i bought from Rave ( Signature blend ) one day the grind is at 8 and today its at 6, never ending battle.

I have to have the grind setting down near 2 to get the pressure up into the infusion range. That is applying reasonable tamping pressure. Much higher I couldn't get the pressure. With a good quality bean and a fine setting I get excellent espresso.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I use the default Portafilter and no issue with it. I never cared much about the plastic insert inside until I read online some people take out the plastic insert with conflicting stories about its purpose? I am toying with the idea of buying a Bottomless Portafilter, my main question is has anyone else bought one and noticed any differences apart from the ascetics and looks?

I bought this one:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/54mm-Stainless-Steel-Coffee-Machine-Bottomless-Filter-Holder-Portafilter-Q8T8/353135482338

22 quid or so and the handle is a thing of beauty. Really impressed with it, and it arrived very quickly from China.

As for your question, no there is no difference in the quality of the shots. It uses the same filter basket after all. But what this gives you is a better insight into small issues, most notably channelling. What I discovered was that my grind was clumping, so I now use a paper clip to mix the grinds before tamping.

The other side of the bottomless filter is that it is messy when your shot isn't perfect. You will get coffee spraying around the place. But since I've been de-clumping it happens much less.

In short, is it essential? Definitely not. Does it have benefits? Maybe. If you're seeking perfection, then yes I think it does have value. Is it really cool to watch? Absolutely. It is amazing to watch, mesmerising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭keith_d99

dubstepper wrote: »
    I have to have the grind setting down near 2 to get the pressure up into the infusion range. That is applying reasonable tamping pressure. Much higher I couldn't get the pressure. With a good quality bean and a fine setting I get excellent espresso.

I have grind setting at 8?! :) .... pressure dial hits about 12pm - and timing of the shot is good @ 25ish seconds. Again with a reasonable tamp.

I haven't weighed exactly how many beans (as I don't have a scale) - but the grind amount is about 4 O'clock ... and the grind is heaped to the point I lose some grind.

My machine is new but seems like the grind setting is very much bean dependent? (Am using Ponaire beans at the moment).

Just on price, it is well worth shopping around. I bought mine near black friday from Amazon for £378. They occasionally drop it down. I saw it in harvery norman for 640!

Ah a pre-Covid bargain! :)

I did plenty of looking ... the machines are in demand. Cheapest I could find was on velocoffee.ie

keith_d99 wrote: »

My machine is new but seems like the grind setting is very much bean dependent? (Am using Ponaire beans at the moment).

For sure. Every change of bean will require grinder adjustment to find the sweet spot. I like a roughly 2.5 to 1 ratio. Ie 18 grams in 36 to 45 grams (ml) out into the cup. Il aim for a 30 second extraction but again this completely changes depending on the bean!

I bought this one:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/54mm-Stainless-Steel-Coffee-Machine-Bottomless-Filter-Holder-Portafilter-Q8T8/353135482338

22 quid or so and the handle is a thing of beauty. Really impressed with it, and it arrived very quickly from China.

As for your question, no there is no difference in the quality of the shots. It uses the same filter basket after all.

I love the look and the price is reasonable. I never thought to look on eBay in my search. Yes, it is the same pressured basket, i hadn't thought of that when asking about shot quality but i didn't think it would make any difference as it is more quailty of coffee, the grind and correct pressure.

I bought this one:

I purchased this, now how quick was your delivery :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I purchased this, now how quick was your delivery :D

2 weeks I think. Much quicker than would have thought.

Wondering if anyone has had any issues with the cleaning tablets? I have tried it once or twice and must be doing it wrong. It says to put the tablet into the rubber holder then put that into the filter. When I put on the clean cycle no water comes out as the rubber holder is blocking it?? I have to be doing something wrong but not sure what?!

Wondering if anyone has had any issues with the cleaning tablets? I have tried it once or twice and must be doing it wrong. It says to put the tablet into the rubber holder then put that into the filter. When I put on the clean cycle no water comes out as the rubber holder is blocking it?? I have to be doing something wrong but not sure what?!

They didn't update the instructions from a few years ago when they changed the cleaning disc. There's no hole in it anymore so very little water will drip through now. It's normal. The tablet doesn't dissolve much so I usually do 2-3 cycles and then flush with water without the tablet to make sure it's clear.

They didn't update the instructions from a few years ago when they changed the cleaning disc. There's no hole in it anymore so very little water will drip through now. It's normal. The tablet doesn't dissolve much so I usually do 2-3 cycles and then flush with water without the tablet to make sure it's clear.

Thanks Davey - I felt like an idiot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Yep as Davey has said they never updated instructions.

Someone more experience may be able to correct me, but I think it's known as a backflush. The water won't go through the portafilter but will instead be flushed back through the system.

Tempted to wait and see if this drops in price for black friday.

Yep just did first clean ... impressive process in fairness.
    Mine was the same ... did 3 cycles before the tablet was fully dissolved.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Oh I still can't decide what to do, the Sage just sounds like hard work! I am torn now between Delonghi or the new Krups (self cleaning/makes cappucino's push button). My budget keeps getting bigger as I just can't decide!

lol im unsure too, just want something that makes great coffee in least amount of time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

lol im unsure too, just want something that makes great coffee in least amount of time.

I'm looking at this one https://www.currys.ie/ieen/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/coffee-machines-and-accessories/coffee-machines/delonghi-autentica-cappuccino-etam29-660-sb-bean-to-cup-coffee-machine-silver-10148510-pdt.html and there is a krups one that cleans itself

Advertisement