Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Broadband providers in South Galway

Options
  • 16-09-2020 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Howye lads & lasses,

We are going to be moving back home to Galway soon.

Just a general query as I will be working from home.

What is the high speed broadband service like in South Galway?

I know it's area dependant in some cases but anyone in say the more rural (not in the main village itself) parts of areas like Clarinbridge/Craughwell/Kilcolgan/Ardrahan - could you please let me know which provider you're with and what the service is like?

Just trying to get a rough idea of who would be best to go with.

Eir / Sky / Virgin /Digiweb seem to be the main options.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Sky, Vodafone and Eir all run through the same lines, which are provided by Eir, so if one of them is poor speeds the other two will be the same. Keep that in mind. I couldn't tell you anything about Digiweb etc. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SteveSilverhead

Hi Redkite, I've been working from home for a few years now in the area you mention, so might be able to provide some insight.

First of all - to get broadband from Sky/Vodafone/Eir etc.. you will need a landline, and your line will need to be near enough to one of the cabinets to be able to avail of a fibre connection. To determine this you should try to find out from someone in the exact area who knows exactly how far out the fibre cable has been laid. Don't rely on coverage maps or anything that any support centre will tell you - it is unlikely to be accurate enough.

If fibre is not an option, then I can recommend Imagine LTE. Their mast is in Kilchreest, and most houses in the areas you mention should have line of sight. If you call them out, they'll do a site test to determine if you can get it. Imagine LTE broadband will cost around €60 per month. Their service works well for the most part, and on occasion when it doesn't, they are responsive enough.

Lightnet are also available in the area, but from my house they could not get line of sight to their mast (which is also in Kilchreest as I understand).

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Redkite200

Hi Redkite, I've been working from home for a few years now in the area you mention, so might be able to provide some insight.

First of all - to get broadband from Sky/Vodafone/Eir etc.. you will need a landline, and your line will need to be near enough to one of the cabinets to be able to avail of a fibre connection. To determine this you should try to find out from someone in the exact area who knows exactly how far out the fibre cable has been laid. Don't rely on coverage maps or anything that any support centre will tell you - it is unlikely to be accurate enough.

If fibre is not an option, then I can recommend Imagine LTE. Their mast is in Kilchreest, and most houses in the areas you mention should have line of sight. If you call them out, they'll do a site test to determine if you can get it. Imagine LTE broadband will cost around €60 per month. Their service works well for the most part, and on occasion when it doesn't, they are responsive enough.

Lightnet are also available in the area, but from my house they could not get line of sight to their mast (which is also in Kilchreest as I understand).

Many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Hey guys. I have eir broadband but no landline. They create a dummy number for you. You can check coverage on their website using your eircode.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I'm in Doorus. Have Eir broadband and happy enough with it. Seem to typically get the speed I'm paying for. Haven't had to call support yet. Have heard their support is terrible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement