Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

microlight flying at night

• 19-09-2020 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong area,
    microlight plane has been flying around a bit lately during the day ,
    it has been flying about a bit tonight 12.00 -12.30 , is this normal, legal?,
    County Carlow area, does it pose a safety issue? :eek:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

looks like day flying only
    https://ilas.ie/FAQ

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭AnRothar

More nuanced answer.
    it has been flying about a bit tonight 12.00 -12.30 , is this normal,
    Can an aircraft fly outside controlled airspace at night?
    Yes.
    The rules are linked to departure/arrival location (which probably rules ILAS field out)
    legal?
    So it's possible that they may have been there correctly.

concubar wrote: »
    does it pose a safety issue? :eek:

with a microlight - safety issue only for the microlight occcupant(s) really.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

I have seen a micro light here in Ballon a couple of times but also saw this the other day.

https://www.gsi.ie/en-ie/programmes-and-projects/tellus/where-we-are-operating/Pages/Current-airborne-survey-area.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

I have seen a micro light here in Ballon a couple of times but also saw this the other day.

https://www.gsi.ie/en-ie/programmes-and-projects/tellus/where-we-are-operating/Pages/Current-airborne-survey-area.aspx

The Tellus survey only operates daylight hours I’m fairly sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

ILAS Permit aircraft are specifically excluded from flying at night unless given an exemption to do so from the IAA. Not even night VFR. Night VFR is very restricted in Ireland even for certified general aviation aircraft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Think you can only fly vfr at night in a control zone ....

duskyjoe wrote: »
    Think you can only fly vfr at night in a control zone ....

No.

It is possible to depart an airfield just before the end of VFR fly across country after the end of VFR and arrive at a suitable Airport.
    Equally it is possible to depart a controlled airport before the start of VFR and arrive at a different airfield just after the start of VFR.

AnRothar wrote: »
    No.

It is possible to depart an airfield just before the end of VFR fly across country after the end of VFR and arrive at a suitable Airport.
    Equally it is possible to depart a controlled airport before the start of VFR and arrive at a different airfield just after the start of VFR.

The above is just a twisted muddle of words. Can someone put up a link to the relevant SI re Night VFR in the state please . Second reference to micro lights- they are not approved night vfr control zone or not - end .

The above is just a twisted muddle of words. Can someone put up a link to the relevant SI re Night VFR in the state please . Second reference to micro lights- they are not approved night vfr control zone or not - end .

Essentially you must depart and arrive at an aerodrome approved for Night VFR operations (all the state and regional airports at least, not sure about others).

AnRothar is just pointing out that you could leave a non-approved aerodrome during daylight, with the plan to arrive at an approved one after nightfall, or vice versa in the morning.

That’s the situation generally, I have no idea about the ILAS permit aircraft.

https://www.iaa.ie/docs/default-source/publications/aeronautical-notices/r---rules-of-the-air/vfr-flights-at-night-in-the-shannon-fir.pdf?sfvrsn=baa70df3_10

• Advertisement

The above is just a twisted muddle of words. Can someone put up a link to the relevant SI re Night VFR in the state please .
    SERA (Standardised European Rules of the Air)
    And
    Aeronautical Notice Nr 03
    Second reference to micro lights- they are not approved night vfr control zone or not - end .
    It's depends.
    The phrase "micro-light" when used by some people in an aviation context can mean anything from a glorified hangglider with an engine tacked on to something with a full kit for IFR flight.

No microlight (NMAI,not ILAS)is allowed to fly at night.Individuals may have conducted Night VFR in them but that's illegal and at their own risk. Even the best equipped microlight (not weighing greater than 450 kgs) is not allowed to fly at night. Apart from that,no Permit aircraft (ILAS or NMAI)is allowed to fly at night unless it has been approved to do so by the IAA on an individual basis. In the UK,the LAA are conducting trials to allow some IFR flight by certain permit aircraft.

AnRothar wrote: »
    SERA (Standardised European Rules of the Air)
    And
    Aeronautical Notice Nr 03

It's depends.
    The phrase "micro-light" when used by some people in an aviation context can mean anything from a glorified hangglider with an engine tacked on to something with a full kit for IFR flight.

You don’t even have have to have a fully fledged ppl to fly a micro light and your dictating to all here to kick the tyres and the light the two strokes and off we go at night . I wish an officer of the IAA was around these parts to put an end to these far fetched precedings. It ain’t happening in a micro light night vfr ... end of or your trolling

You don’t even have have to have a fully fledged ppl to fly a micro light and your dictating to all here to kick the tyres and the light the two strokes and off we go at night . I wish an officer of the IAA was around these parts to put an end to these far fetched precedings. It ain’t happening in a micro light night vfr ... end of or your trolling

To be fair that’s not what AnRothar is saying and I think you know it. They responded to the question of whether Night VFR was allowed outside CTRs generally, showing that it is. Then they made the point that we don’t really know what OP meant by microlight as to the uninitiated that might mean anything from a paramotor to a twin Beechcraft, which I agree with.

Night VFR was not allowed outside Control Zones for years and when I asked an IAA guy about it, he stated that "we don't want to be picking fellas off mountains". Flying Club members in some Zones would go up on clear nights and simply fly around the perimeter of the Zone or do circuits during the night when it was quiet.

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Night VFR was not allowed outside Control Zones for years .
    World has moved on, PM sent.

I know. that's why I said "was".

Advertisement