Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PV with 2nd hand EV batteries

Options
  • 18-09-2020 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭

I have a 3kW array and resisted the urge to get a battery. As I hoped the feed in tariff would be agreed by this stage. While I got away with it as the family were at home during the peak production with the past few months

So as it looks like the microgrenation payback scheme or what every you call it will not happen any time soon. I am looking at adding a 2nd EV battery for my 3kW system. I saw a hybrid for scrapand this might be where I source the battery

If any one has done it what was the cost ? are you happy with it, what size battery did you go for ?

GRMA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I used to have a lead acid battery, about 18kWh (half usable), but I sold that and bought LiFePo4 (lithium) prismatic cells, about 4kWh usable in combination with a dedicated battery inverter (Sofar ME3000SP). This system is completely independent of my solar PV setup. Working very well for me, but then I have a high background load, so my self usage even without the battery is quite high. If my background use was not high, I'd be tempted to increase the size of the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭zoom_cool

unkel wrote: »
    I used to have a lead acid battery, about 18kWh (half usable), but I sold that and bought LiFePo4 (lithium) prismatic cells, about 4kWh usable in combination with a dedicated battery inverter (Sofar ME3000SP). This system is completely independent of my solar PV setup. Working very well for me, but then I have a high background load, so my self usage even without the battery is quite high. If my background use was not high, I'd be tempted to increase the size of the battery.

Is this grid tie setup or can it be independent standalone.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,762 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Both my solar PV system and my battery system are grid tie and completely separate. Either system can fully function without the other.

Advertisement