Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying Planted Land

• 20-09-2020 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi,

15 acres of reasonably good land for sale near me, which I am very interested in.

Problem is , it comes with 15 acres of land that was planted by a forestry company , and will not be harvested until 2035. Owner and auctioneer says that once timber is harvested, the land is mine to do what I want with it.

This is the second plantation of this land. The first plantation was destroyed in a fire.

Seller wont split into 2 lots.

My question - can I do what I want with this land after harvest? I wont be obliged to replant? Can I return it to agri use, or can I just leave it the way i get it and forget about it?

Also , what way will this land be on its return to me? I would imagine it would be completely wrecked, and would cost a fortune to return to agri use, or even replant again if I wanted to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭accidental forester

You say it'll be 2035 before harvest. As it's been in for over ten years, there's no longer a get out option available. If it's under ten years, you can payback all the grants and premiums relating to the plantation, then do whatever you want with it. The felling licence you'll require will spell out the replanting requirements. Get the opinion of a registered forester, decent plantations can be a very good investment particularly with the incentive of the adjoining parcel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

How much extra is the 15 acres costing above what you would have expected to pay if you were just buying the grassland?

Clearfell can be €€€€. Could net 150k+ to yourself (largely tax free if managed right). Cost of replanting can be put against this also. What’s access like? Is there a road in place?

Return to agri land would be expensive no doubt. If it was planted in the first place (with no subsidies I am guessing if there is no requirement to replant??) it’s likely not the greatest land in any case.

Replant budget around 1k per acre. There would be no point to just leaving it to go wild unless you are making the decision that you don’t want to profit from it again. Might be a scheme some day to allow that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Hi,

15 acres of reasonably good land for sale near me, which I am very interested in.

Problem is , it comes with 15 acres of land that was planted by a forestry company , and will not be harvested until 2035. Owner and auctioneer says that once timber is harvested, the land is mine to do what I want with it.

This is the second plantation of this land. The first plantation was destroyed in a fire.

Seller wont split into 2 lots.

My question - can I do what I want with this land after harvest? I wont be obliged to replant? Can I return it to agri use, or can I just leave it the way i get it and forget about it?

Also , what way will this land be on its return to me? I would imagine it would be completely wrecked, and would cost a fortune to return to agri use, or even replant again if I wanted to?

AFAIK it has to go back into forestry again, unless you can come up with the equivalent area of land somewhere else to plant instead. This might be an option if the forestry is beside your main block of already owned land at present. Check it out with a Teagasc forestry advisor or a forester.

Another thing to consider is your age. If you'll be over 70 at clear felling that will be completely tax free, no levies or usc to pay. But a lot can happen in 15 years.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

If its spruce the land will be banjaxed after its harvested anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dto001

Sorry to Hi-jack this thread. There’s 20 acres of forestry I’m interested in which was planted in 2001 it’s a mix of spruce and larch, there are no roads in place. Would this be a viable investment?
    Would it cost me to get it thinned or would a company cover this? Excuse the ignorance I’d like to get as much information as possible before jumping in

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

dto001 wrote: »
    Sorry to Hi-jack this thread. There’s 20 acres of forestry I’m interested in which was planted in 2001 it’s a mix of spruce and larch, there are no roads in place. Would this be a viable investment?
    Would it cost me to get it thinned or would a company cover this? Excuse the ignorance I’d like to get as much information as possible before jumping in

Thanks

Depending on the scheme that it was planted under there may be a grant that will cover a lot of the road (and maybe leave profit from the grant depending on access).

What’s access like? How far from a road is the land? Is it in one relatively square plot?

How much is it for sale for?

First thining likely to be just above break even from cost point of view. You could engage a forester who would organise the lot for you, harvest, haulage, his fee, there won’t be a lot left over.

Your bigger issue would be a felling licence which may take years to get due to backlogs and objections.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dto001

893bet wrote: »
    Depending on the scheme that it was planted under there may be a grant that will cover a lot of the road (and maybe leave profit from the grant depending on access).

What’s access like? How far from a road is the land? Is it in one relatively square plot?

How much is it for sale for?

First thining likely to be just above break even from cost point of view. You could engage a forester who would organise the lot for you, harvest, haulage, his fee, there won’t be a lot left over.

Your bigger issue would be a felling licence which may take years to get due to backlogs and objections.

Thanks for the reply. It’s in one block and the asking price is 65k there’s a road up to the edge of it but there’s a house right on it. I’m not too worried about the first thinning making me too much as long as it doesn’t cost me too much.
    The ad says the thinning license has been applied for.
    Where can you check this?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭biddyearley

dto001 wrote: »
    The ad says the thinning license has been applied for.
    Where can you check this?

Cheers

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/642e6-forestry/#forestry-licence-viewer

Advertisement