Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bomb in Knocknacarra

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A viable device has been discovered in Galway city.

The Army Bomb Disposal Team removed the item from Knocknacarra at around 10.35pm on Friday for further examination.

No further details about the incident have been made public.
    No info at this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭LostDuck

This is what happens when Cappagh Stores runs out of self-raising flour for banana bread during lockdown and people are driven to home tutorials on the darker side of the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭calculator

I'm bemused that there was world war 3 over dog poo on the green on the residents WhatsApp group but there isn't a peep about a bomb. WTAF!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

army bomb squad The team was called shortly after 10pm last night to investigate the improvised explosive device, following a request from gardaí.
    On arrival, a cordon was established and maintained for the duration of the operation.
    A viable device was identified, made safe and removed to a defence force location for further examination. The team departed the scene just after 10.35pm, according to a Defence Forces spokesperson. 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Similar incident happened in Ballinasloe a couple of weeks back.
    I wonder who's the target? Is it drug cartels? Political activists? Sectarian activists? Family feuds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The Ballinasloe device was deemed non-viable, but yes strange that these devices are popping up.
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/gardai-and-army-bomb-disposal-unit-remove-suspicious-device-from-premises-in-ballinasloe/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    army bomb squad The team was called shortly after 10pm last night to investigate the improvised explosive device, following a request from gardaí.
    On arrival, a cordon was established and maintained for the duration of the operation.
    A viable device was identified, made safe and removed to a defence force location for further examination. The team departed the scene just after 10.35pm, according to a Defence Forces spokesperson. 

Sounds like a good job done by all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

flazio wrote: »
    Similar incident happened in Ballinasloe a couple of weeks back.
    I wonder who's the target? Is it drug cartels? Political activists? Sectarian activists? Family feuds?

I assume drug and/or feud related. Anecdotally, I have heard of intimidation against families in Ballinasloe because of youths amassing large drug debts. There was a shooting incident in Brackernagh prior to Christmas also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

or it could be just some old war stuff / memorabilia found in someone attic and deemed unsafe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Notch000 wrote: »
    or it could be just some old war stuff / memorabilia found in someone attic and deemed unsafe

I doubt very much if someone found a bomb in their attic they would take it down and bring it to a laneway and leave it there , thats where it was found

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I doubt very much if someone found a bomb in their attic they would take it down and bring it to a laneway and leave it there , thats where it was found

stupidity has no limits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭LostDuck

Notch000 wrote: »
    stupidity has no limits

I was on a bus once with a few young lads that found an old grenade and they were throwing it around between them. Until their parents found it and the bomb squad was called in! Thought they were talking ****e at the time.

Advertisement