Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unusual golf rule

• 19-09-2020 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭

While playing a matchplay on Monday. A guy with me commented that opponent could have called penalty on me for putting a tee in my mouth

Under unusual use of golf equipment

Anyone rules geeks can confirm ruling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭finglashoop

gypsy79 wrote: »
    While playing a matchplay on Monday. A guy with me commented that opponent could have called penalty on me for putting a tee in my mouth

Surely that cant be a rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Is it anymore unusual than sticking it behind your ear.

I think the guy is either winding you up or he was wound up and fell for it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Rule 4.3.a https://www.randa.org/en/rog/2019/rules/the-rules-of-golf/rule-4
    Allowed and Prohibited Uses of Equipment
    A player may use equipment to help his or her play during a round, except that a player must not create a potential advantage by:
    - Using equipment (other than a club or a ball) that artificially eliminates or reduces the need for a skill or judgment that is essential to the challenge of the game, or
    - Using equipment (including a club or a ball) in an abnormal way in making a stroke. “Abnormal way” means a way that is fundamentally different than its intended use and is not normally recognized as part of playing the game.
    Emphasis is mine. Unless you were making a stroke with the tee in your mouth, the second exclusion applies. If you were making a stroke, the first exclusion applies (unless yer man thinks you gained an advantage by playing with a tee in your mouth)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

His argument was that I could be using it to relieve stress

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Complete nonsense. No such rule infringement.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

bobbyy gee wrote: »

Well they aren’t the golf rules for a start.
    They have nothing to do with the above
    They are Americanised
    They are outdated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Jesus that’s some nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭28064212

His argument was that I could be using it to relieve stress
    Relieving stress neither "eliminates or reduces the need for a skill or judgment that is essential to the challenge of the game". If they were to take that route, they better make a similar claim against every golfer that chews gum on course

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

28064212 wrote: »
    Relieving stress neither "eliminates or reduces the need for a skill or judgment that is essential to the challenge of the game". If they were to take that route, they better make a similar claim against every golfer that chews gum on course

I used the exact comparison. But was then point out that tees couldn’t be used to help with alignment

But then neither could gun which I never thought of at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

I used the exact comparison. But was then point out that tees couldn’t be used to help with alignment

But then neither could gun which I never thought of at the time

I would find someone else to play with !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jimjim12

Tell him to go beep. It's like the guy who claimed my ball retriever was a club at the start of a match play round. Telling me I had 15 clubs. We didn't speak much.

jimjim12 wrote: »
    Tell him to go beep. It's like the guy who claimed my ball retriever was a club at the start of a match play round. Telling me I had 15 clubs. We didn't speak much.

Did he go to count your clubs or just spotted it?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jimjim12

etxp wrote: »
    Did he go to count your clubs or just spotted it?
    He saw it on the first tee and then asked how many clubs I had. I said 14 and he said 15. He was just being a d***, trying to put me off. I handed me the rule book and asked for him to point out the rule, that shut him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

didn't know until the weekend that you are not obliged to put an identifying mark on your golf ball when playing in a competition.

fearruanua wrote: »
    didn't know until the weekend that you are not obliged to put an identifying mark on your golf ball when playing in a competition.

The rule says you "should" put a mark on your ball. I don't know why you wouldn't though.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

The rule says you "should" put a mark on your ball. I don't know why you wouldn't though.

What's the thinking i wonder with it being "should"??

fearruanua wrote: »

What's the thinking i wonder with it being "should"??

No idea, they should just have left it as "must". I'd imagine there has been plenty arguments in matchplay with someone not having a mark on their ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

No idea, they should just have left it as "must". I'd imagine there has been plenty arguments in matchplay with someone not having a mark on their ball.

It's not something that has changed, it was never a "must" afaik.

I've been told that I have to declare my ball make and number on a couple of occasions. Another non rule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You don't have to though, you just have to be able to identify your ball.

It's really only an issue if you find 2 identical, unmarked balls. In that case, both are deemed lost.
    If someone else plays your ball without you knowing, not much you can do in either case.

However, why anyone would take that chance is beyond me, but many things other people do on the golf course are beyond me! (like the guy in front of me on Saturday who ran back to the tee 3 times because he didnt play a provo :mad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I suspect that it could cause problems if you've lost a lot of balls, and don't have a means of marking another one while on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I suspect that it could cause problems if you've lost a lot of balls, and don't have a means of marking another one while on the course.
    Idea: In the days before an important round "lose" two balls with your mark on each hole in semi-rough about 50 yards past your usual drive, one in the left, one in the right. Then when you go in the semi-rough "find" it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Idea: In the days before an important round "lose" two balls with your mark on each hole in semi-rough about 50 yards past your usual drive, one in the left, one in the right. Then when you go in the semi-rough "find" it. :D
    Great. Unless those are the days that other people go out looking for lost golf balls. :D

Advertisement