Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am the Necrus - Walrus Reveal Thread

• 19-09-2020 9:26am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to my Walrus folks :)

The largest Walrus in Boards history is almost ready to kick off :D

A reminder of the categories first

1. I’m a Little Bit Country….

As a young lad I spent many the day travelling around the place, my uncles and aunts blaring country music in the car and as such have an affinity for it ever since. Hit me with the best country song you’ve ever heard.

2. And I’m A Little Bit Rock and Roll

Another of my favourite pastimes is to just put on some rocking choons and hammer out the chords badly on my well-worn air guitar. Give me your best shot and let’s see how it goes.

3. A Recording From the 21st century of a Song from the 20th

So in this one, I want a song originally recorded in the 20th century, but it needs to have been released (or re-released) by an artist in the 21st century. Hope that isn’t too confusing…

4. Songs Released Before My Time

For this round I want a song that was released before I was born. NO I’M NOT GIVING YOU MY BIRTHDAY! The magic number however is 1986, so any song released before that year is eligible. Anything released during 1986 or after, is not!

5. Songs With A Clever Title

I’m looking for songs with witty names here, not really any limits other than that.

6. Your favourite Indie Song

One for the alts: Can be obscure, super popular, etc. doesn't matter. Just make sure it is good

7. I’m Ridin Solo

Pretty much like me, shaking the shackles of co-judging with Stucifer (Just kidding, he was an amazing co-host). I want songs by any solo artist here, exactly what it says on the tin.

8. Pre-Covid Fun Times

In this category, simply hit me with a song that most reminds you of some fun times Pre Covid restrictions.

9. I said a Hip, a Hop, a Hip..

Hip Hop, Rap, Some smooth RnB. This is the category to let loose with some classics (or some I may never have heard before indeed).

10. The Power Ballad

And to finish us off…. I’m not talking crooners here, I want something that makes you clench your fists, drop down on your knees and just sing at the top of your voice. Hit me with the belters folks!

We had 22 entries for this, so thank you to all. Please say a big hello to our contenders...
    1. Irish Aris
    2. s1ippy
    3. ShaneU
    4. Deja Boo
    5. the purple tin
    6. RasTa
    7. LeVar
    8. Sawduck
    9. Gru
    10. Mustang Shelly
    11. Clarabel
    12. osh
    13. Green&Red
    14. JP Liz
    15. Trigger
    16. JohnGreenFan
    17. Kolido
    18. Rikand
    19. Arghus
    20. Reberetta
    21. tusk
    22. fixXxer

Country category kicks off at 6pm this evening :)

Let the hype begin

d3118205480985f17998775c268cc270.gif

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

So for this category I was looking for the best of country.

One of the things I enjoy about the genre is the way it places much more emphasis on the vocals in a song as an instrument, as opposed to guitars, drums, etc.

That’s not to say I don’t enjoy an odd solo or two in the middle mind!

A couple examples of what I’m talking about below:

When we kick off later, I’m going to run up the table from 19th to 4th place, then reveal our top 3 and bottom 3 together. Keep all that tension together :D

Just to note – I liked every single song in this first category – I just liked others that little bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

22 people and 10 categories. You're mental dude!

I am expecting greatness though. Let's get started

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Necro wrote: »
    So for this category I was looking for the best of country.

One of the things I enjoy about the genre is the way it places much more emphasis on the vocals in a song as an instrument, as opposed to guitars, drums, etc.

That’s not to say I don’t enjoy an odd solo or two in the middle mind!

A couple examples of what I’m talking about below:

When we kick off later, I’m going to run up the table from 19th to 4th place, then reveal our top 3 and bottom 3 together. Keep all that tension together :D

(YouTube of proper country music)

Just to note – I liked every single song in this first category – I just liked others that little bit better.

Yep, I've fecked this one up already

:pac:

Looking forward to it though

• Registered Users Posts: 30,307 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I was going to put Garth Brooks The Dance as my entry but figured it was risky as people are very divided by him.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Would have done very well with me Shelly, I'm not a massive Brooks fan but I love that song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Based on how Cro performed in my own Walrus, and how we're more often than not in agreement in tournaments, I've a good feeling about this Walrus...

No duplicates in this round too \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

So when we get started we have 22 of the finest country songs ever recorded for y'all ;)

And as always, bottom – top – middle… it’s only my opinion*, it doesn’t mean your song is any better or worse than the next person!

*though, my opinion is the only one that counts here :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Necro wrote: »
    No duplicates in this round too \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Bet they all sound the same though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Clarabel wrote: »

:D:D:D

Clarabel wrote:

Just as well I'm the judge so ;)

• Advertisement

Almost time to kick off folks, final checks and balances all completed and we are ready to go!!!

49e0fb788f6e378a1813b1dc8ec4bfdf.gif

Kicking us off in 19th, with 4 points…
    Clarabel
    Monster - Mumford & Sons

Have I heard of this song: No

I just thought this could have been so much better. It starts really well but kind of fades off into meh-ness. Especially when he tells me to fcuk my dreams. Yeah not having it Mumford, ya big bollocks.

In 18th place with 5 points…

Reberetta

GG Allin - When I Die

Have I heard this song before: No

This is a good example of where vocals are important, I just can’t warm to this fella’s voice. It’s very… guttural? I don’t mind the song being crude at all, but his voice just grates something fierce even though I like other aspects.

In 17th Place, picking up 6 points…

Kolido

Reba McEntire, feat Linda Davis - Does He Love You

It’s a nice little ballad but again just a bit on the slower side of enjoyable for me. I know it’s a featuring song but the two artists repeating each line in the chorus grates on me a bit. When they come together at the end it’s very nice mind.

In 16th Place with 7 points

Arghus

Revelator - Gillian Welch

It’s a bit on the slow side for my liking. The guitar is not pleasing to my ear either, is it slightly out of tune or am I going mad? Tbf it picks up nicely in the middle and finishes well but the guitar sounding weird and the song overall being a bit slower than my taste would mostly be at have it placed here.

Next up in 15th Place, with 8 points…

RasTa

The Dead South - In Hell I'll Be In Good Company

The whistling in this song is class. The first time I heard it I had it ranking a good bit higher. Unfortunately the singer’s nasal tones start to annoy me on repeated listens. It’s still a good track though, the lyrics are a bit erm… yeah they make no sense :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I just realised that in one of your categories and one of beakers categories, I submitted the same song lol :D

In 14th place with 9 points…
    Gru
    Ruby, Don't take your love to town - Kenny Rodgers

Have I heard of this song: Yes

I’m a Kenny Rodgers fan, I really like his spoken word style of music. Enjoyed this little ditty quite a bit. Strong category though, so we ended up here.

Rikand wrote: »
    I just realised that in one of your categories and one of beakers categories, I submitted the same song lol :D

Wonder which one of us prefers it :D

In 13th place with 10 points….
    Green&Red
    Jon Pardi - Love you from here

Now we’re getting somewhere, this is moving into my normal preferred style of upbeat. Again though, repeated listens have me placing this song in the middle of the pack. Singer is a bit nasal again, though not as noticeable as The Dead South lad.

• Advertisement

In 12th place with 11 points….
    The purple tin

Guy Clark: Dublin Blues

This guy’s voice is awesome. It’s likely because I’m so attuned to years of Cash and a number of Irish artists but it’s so familiar this song. Tempo is a bit slower than what I’d normally listen to but I just really enjoyed this song a lot.

In 11th place, with 12 points…
    JohnGreenFan

Landslide - The (Dixie) Chicks

I’m a bit hit and miss on The Chicks. I like their more upbeat stuff but often I overlook gems like this one. It’s a really nice song and they blend their voices so perfectly.

In 10th place with 13 points…
    Tusk

The Eagles – Twenty-One

Someone settle an age old debate for me? Are The Eagles a country band? A lot of their stuff is very folk/country derived. I like this song, it’s very catchy and upbeat which immediately grabs my attention. Good choice.

In 9th place with 14 points…
    mustang shelly
    Shania Twain - No One Needs To Know

Had I heard this song before: Yes

I like Shania, I think she gets short shrift from people mainly because her genre isn’t… cool? I think that’s a thing. Her voice is amazing. Really enjoyed this entry, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Enjoying the reveal - will be listening when the kids are gone to bed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Last five songs all great

In 8th Place with 15 points….
    Irish Aris

Scotty McCreery-Out Of Summertime

This is super country on steroids :D I really like this track, this is the type of song I was thinking of – very similar in singing style to Rascal Flatts. Upbeat, great vocals – yeah this was a great choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Rikand wrote: »
    Enjoying the reveal - will be listening when the kids are gone to bed :)

Kind of you not to put them through that. :pac:

ShaneU wrote: »
    Last five songs all great

Really strong category tbh, it was very hard to rank them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Thank you for putting me out of my agony, Necro!!! Glad you liked my selection!! :)

Advertisement