Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Let me prove to you that restaurants have not spread Covid-19

• 19-09-2020 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

You want proof? The recent regional breakdown of Dublin shows much of the problem and new cases lie in areas like Tallaght, Blanch, Blabriggan etc. Large parts of South Dublin by contrast have lower rates of new cases than the other 25 counties not under extra stage 3 restrictions.

It is mostly people living in those more affluent areas who have been attending restaurants the last few months. Logically, if restaurants were spreading it then you would expect to see surges in D4, D6, South Dublin etc. But we don't.

What we should be doing is cracking down on Anto, Damo and his mates out in Tallaght having house parties, with proper garda enforcement and punishment, not going after the easy target of hard working city centre businesses like restaurants.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Let me prove... then a rant 😄 Glad you're not a scientist

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

I a bit skeptical of your reasoning. For example, do you believe that more people in South Dublin eat in McDonald's than North West Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

You proved nothing and made assumptions about people and how its spreading actually

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

I a bit skeptical of your reasoning. For example, do you believe that more people in South Dublin eat in McDonald's than North West Dublin?

Sub-divide restaurants into fast food and not then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭prunudo

Greystones has more cases than rural Wicklow, therefore it is proof that coffee shops spread covid.

Not saying I disagree with the point though, I don't believe restaurants or cafes are causing the rise in cases. Just not very sound science to be proving your point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭newbie18892

Actually, the "affluent" areas of D4, D6 etc. have very high figures. They're classed under Dublin South East. Dublin South where the low cases are from stretches from Blackrock through Stillorgan and down to Dalkey, Killiney, Loughinstown and Shankill. That area certainly isn't universally "affluent" it just happens to have low cases. So, your theory doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I think there’s a few things we can take from the data and i’m generalising a lot here, but...

It’s not just Anto and Deco in those areas with high cases, it’s Luis from Brazil and Lukas from Lithuania living in house shares there. Multiple occupancy dwellings are more likely to spread the virus, than the more common single occupancy dwellings in the more affluent areas. Lukas and Luis are more likely to be going to work daily where they will more than likely not be sitting in a socially distanced office - more likely the factory floor. As they don’t have family here, are more likely to have friends call around or visit other households for social interaction. Also, perhaps controversial, as they probably don’t see Ireland as their home, and probably don’t agree with Ireland’s conservative reopening of the country as opposed to their home country, they probably don’t really care a whole lot and just want to enjoy themselves for however long they plan to live here. A lot of immigrants here are trying to save as much money as possible while they’re here, so socializing at home suits them just fine.

Back to Deco and Anto, even at the very start of lockdown, where were the street parties happening? Yep, in the less salubrious areas of Dublin. One video going around at the time, there was a mini festival in one estate with musicians gigging and everyone standing around drinking and chatting with their neighbours. There’s a certain section of society that just have to have their weekly sessions with the lads and the girlos, and socializing in a socially distanced way in a restaurant is not exactly conducive to that.

So yes, I think there’s a few reasons why certain areas of Dublin are seeing higher cases than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Don't waste time proving this here publish it in a reputable scientific journal.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OP you have proved nothing. Indeed it is not possible to "prove" such a claim, and I'm closing the thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement