Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Halloween

• 17-09-2020 1:05pm

My kids all grown up and living on the other side of the world now but I’ve always loved Halloween night and ickle trick or treaters calling to the door.

To all those reading this who have kids, has the subject of Halloween been brought up yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Yeah on a family group chat.

There's a few of us that have small children.

I think the general consensus is trick or treating isn't going to happen.

I live in Dublin we've one or two more cases than the rest of the country, I think the risk is a bit high.

Our road is full of retired people too I'm not sure how they'd feel opening the door to primary school kids.

Still a few weeks away but the numbers are not moving in the right direction.

We'll probably do a treasure hunt or something for the kids... Holloween is my favourite time but what can you do?

I know it’s tough going.

I think it would be a good idea to pop a note through the door of those elderly folk and keep them posted on what is or isn’t going to happen.

I live in a small estate and the only idea I came up with is maybe going full on with decorating the area so the kids can do a spooky walkabout.

Every grocery shop large or small has made a tidy profit since Covid. They could give out pre made and sanitised goody bags to all schools to give to the kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I feel sorry for kids but I won't be opening the door to any this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Won't be happening in my house either. We're going to go away down the country for the week and avoid it all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I don't have kids, but I'd be perfectly happy to open the door and hand out goodies to kids (I do love Halloween though). However I feel there will need to be some sort of guidance in relation to this though. For example:
    - Have some sort of sign or decoration up outside your house if you're willing to have people call to your door.
    - Parents would need to be strict and make sure that their kids keep their distance. Maybe the parent could step forward for the goodies instead of the kids to keep things under control.
    - Masks should be worn by all (shouldn't be much of an issue given the holiday!)
    - Parents should maybe wipe down all external wrappers before letting the kids at the treats when they get home.

I feel like Halloween should be salvageable. Especially considering it's the one time of the year that it's normal to wear masks :P

• Advertisement

I’ll answer the door and give out treats.

If people don’t want to answer the door, that is fair enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

I really don't like Halloween as it's seen as a reason for feral kids to run amok in certain areas. Any festival that includes the burning of domestic waste on green areas damaging the environment isn't something to be looked forward to. Funny how the kids and parents of these kids and teens who build these bonfires aren't ever around for the clean up afterwards either. Tells a lot about their character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

Every day is like halloween now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

my kids will be out and about for halloween.

call me when ebola lands in ireland and we can talk about postponement then...

I never usually get dressed up when I answer the door but I suppose this year would be the perfect reason to get a crazy mask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Yeah I dont see any reason why Halloween can't happen in some form. Usually my daughters school has a trunk or treat event and I can see why that can't happen, all the kids are gathered in one place and there's music in the hall etc. But trick or treating? Why not? I'll probably make up bags with a few sweets in each. Kid comes to the door, I quickly deposit it into their container while wearing a mask. No prolonged contact and no hands going into sweet bowls. I dont see the issue.

Its a huge thing here, a couple of governors tried to ban trick or treating but back tracked fairly quick due to the reaction.

It’s definitely doable but I think it’s a good idea to start thinking about it now so communities can thrash out all ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

No thanks. Don't really want to put myself at risk for loads of random children so they can have sweets. It is low risk but not really worth it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

We've had a chat about this in our house.

We'll probably raise it on the WhatApp group for our estate. The usual way we go trick or treating is that we only call on the houses that have decorated their front door. So I guess we'll put that on an "official" footing through the WA group and say that anyone who doesn't feel comfortable opening the door should just not decorate their house. And for those who do, we might ask them to put a bottle of sanitiser outside the door and don't let the kids rummage in a big bowl - just put the sweets into the loot bags for them.

We would usually make up bags of sweets and then go for the Roses/Celebrations box if we ran out (which happens a lot). So I guess we'll just make more bags this year and when we run out that'll be it.

You could also just put an "honesty" bowl with sweets outside your door. Some houses did that on our estate last year, if there was only one parent and they were shepherding their own kids around the estate. Of course, they tend to go a bit quicker but sure so be it, and then you'll still be in on the fun without taking any risks yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,813 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think be mindful of your neighbours, tell kids be respectful as some don't take a hint when the door isn't opened

• Registered Users Posts: 37,712 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Waterford playing Cork in Munster that day so I'll be taking no trick or treats that day lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

We always have pre-packed goody bags for the callers. I plan leave some treats outside in a basket with a big "TAKE 1 BAG EACH" sign. Maybe it will last 5 minutes, but hey, we gotta try for the kids, right? I actually have a spare auto sanitiser I might put out for the dirty little monsters.:D

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

I'm thinking of trying to arrange something with the other parents in my kid's class - basically let the classmates do the rounds of each others' houses - it helps that most of them are in a reasonably small area geographically. The kids can go round in groups together as they're all together in school anyway. Bags of sweets outside like haribo minis so no fingers in bowls of sweets etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Any trick or treating will be limited to houses where his classmates live or people we have contact with anyway. Definitely not knocking on every house in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I don't see it going ahead.
    London has cancelled new year's celebrations so that gives an answer really for other things.

I can't see it been a good idea going to random houses and then getting handed stuff, you just don't know where it is and numbers going up and up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I can't see it been a good idea going to random houses and then getting handed stuff, you just don't know where it is and numbers going up and up.

Yeah I've no problem handing out stuff. However I'm not really gone on the idea of the kids getting sweets from other houses.

Mine are still small so we only ever knock on maybe 7 houses on the road, so on a very personal level I think we'd be OK.

Everyone's standards of hygiene are different and you can see this in the supermarket, so what they do in their own home before handing out sweets, how they prepare the bags etc it is abit of a risk.

I know you can say wipe all the wrappers down etc, but there's still a risk you'd miss a bit, plus if you've more than one child going out how many mini Mars bars will you wipe before saying feck it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

We’re not doing it this year. I’ll have some treats on standby for callers though. I live in the country so it’s dark at night, so planning to do a garden ghost hunt for the kids for treats with torches and lanterns, so they have some activities to look forward to. Might even light a little bonfire for them just out of sticks in a barrel down the garden, we’ll see.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 uiolfg

I plan to do the same. My son study at the high school and he has a plan to dress up in costume and have some fun with his friends. I am thinking about buying a realistic mask <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Im thinking of family house party for the little ones. Some sweets and games. No trick or treating this year I'd say.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

Not happening in our house this year. Too risky

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Its definitely going to be cancelled this year....

Madness to let them out to be honest and many elderly will be keeping doors shut anyway.

Groups is the problem and meeting with others....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Im thinking of family house party for the little ones. Some sweets and games. No trick or treating this year I'd say.

I don't ever remember trick or treating when I was young but we had a small family party with sweets and nuts, games and stories. Usually my dad would have a few drinks and took great pleasure in someone getting soaked bobbing for apples or some game that involved tasting different things while blindfolded, including a piece of soap, then he'd split a peanut in two to make vampire fangs and pretend to bite my mother.

I think it's still possible to have fun at home without heading out trick or treating, you just have to be a bit more imaginative.

I remember my mum would bake a fruit brack and put a ring in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I’m hoping to bring mine on a scavenger hunt in the estate and I’ve them a little prize when they complete something. Like find five pumpkins and when they get them we give them something for their bag. Not really comfortable with taking treats straight from others right now

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Around our area it's fairly sedate - kids don't go to houses unless they have decorations outdoors, and it's all usually done by 7.30pm.

So we might do a handful of neighbours we know and he's asked for a sleepover with his two friends (restrictions permitting on the day!) so we'll probably introduce the old 80's halloween games of apple ducking and pin the tail on the witch etc to a new generation for the rest of the evening.

Advertisement