Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice for staying sober on a sunny day

• 17-09-2020 3:45pm

I find sunny days like today pretty hard. I keep thinking of how nice it would be to have a few drinks in a beer garden.

What do you do to help you stay sober on days like today?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭2018na

I find sunny days like today pretty hard. I keep thinking of how nice it would be to have a few drinks in a beer garden.

I swear by non alcohol beer or cider. Does not work for everyone but I find it a game changer for getting rid of the goo to have a drink

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

2018na wrote: »
    I swear by non alcohol beer or cider. Does not work for everyone but I find it a game changer for getting rid of the goo to have a drink

This x1000!! people always give me the usual bollox " ah sure you might as well drink coke as that ****e".
    If I was to drink coke id be on the pints in now time, the non alcoholic has the same bite so gets rid of that taste for a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

I know it's cliche but honestly a hobby or something

For me, it's self discipline

When I see a really sunny day I try to stop thinking about how nice a few drinks would be

I try to think about the hangover the next day and how it could ruin my weekend and sleep and could I go walking, or swimming (even indoor) or a drive somewhere instead

A non alcoholic drink is also a good idea to get the brief taste and get the idea out of my head then

It's literally like I try to do something else to distract myself and not think drink is my only option on a sunny day

Easier said than done of course

I like reading so going to nearby park or beach and read (Kindle or book)

Or just go for a spin to distract myself and take photos

Walk my dogs

Literally anything besides having a pint

wally1990 wrote: »
    I know it's cliche but honestly a hobby or something

For me, it's self discipline

When I see a really sunny day I try to stop thinking about how nice a few drinks would be

I try to think about the hangover the next day and how it could ruin my weekend and sleep and could I go walking, or swimming (even indoor) or a drive somewhere instead

A non alcoholic drink is also a good idea to get the brief taste and get the idea out of my head then

It's literally like I try to do something else to distract myself and not think drink is my only option on a sunny day

Easier said than done of course

I like reading so going to nearby park or beach and read (Kindle or book)

Or just go for a spin to distract myself and take photos

Walk my dogs

Literally anything besides having a pint

Thanks for this - really great advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

It depends on one's history with alcohol: are you just a "take a break from the bottle" kind of person; or are you a problem drinker/ alcoholic?

I am a recovered alcoholic. Therefore the weather, financial conditions, global pandemics, romantic attachments (or lack thereof) have zero relevance to my " I don't drink---ever" reality. If a question involving sunny days and drinking even entered my mind and stayed there as a serious consideration for more than a few minutes, I'd know I was on thin ice.

For me, and people like me, we have had to come to an understanding that drinking is over , for good. It was a long hard road to come to grips with this in my case, but the irony is that once I really got it----I was free and have remained so for almost two decades now. Thank God :-)

Wishing all on the forum continued success on the journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭prishtinaboy99

Amazingfun wrote: »
    It depends on one's history with alcohol: are you just a "take a break from the bottle" kind of person; or are you a problem drinker/ alcoholic?

I am a recovered alcoholic. Therefore the weather, financial conditions, global pandemics, romantic attachments (or lack thereof) have zero relevance to my " I don't drink---ever" reality. If a question involving sunny days and drinking even entered my mind and stayed there as a serious consideration for more than a few minutes, I'd know I was on thin ice.

For me, and people like me, we have had to come to an understanding that drinking is over , for good. It was a long hard road to come to grips with this in my case, but the irony is that once I really got it----I was free and have remained so for almost two decades now. Thank God :-)

Wishing all on the forum continued success on the journey.

So true as someone who had zero willpower to refuse a drink or if I had a bit of willpower when I really needed to stop drinking, the sun moon and stars had to be aligned for me to not drink.

Now I am recovered like you say all these other things, stresses in life do not affect my decision not to drink and have a good life without alcohol.

So true as someone who had zero willpower to refuse a drink or if I had a bit of willpower when I really needed to stop drinking, the sun moon and stars had to be aligned for me to not drink.

Now I am recovered like you say all these other things, stresses in life do not affect my decision not to drink and have a good life without alcohol.

Can I ask what helped you to recover? So far AA and Smart meetings are not working for me. It's really difficult.

Advertisement