Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Non-Christmas Songs that remind you of Christmas

Options
  • 16-09-2020 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

Speaking of Christmas songs...

Settle a debate between me and my mother:

‘Somewhere only we know’ - the Lily Allen version of the Keane song, used in the John Lewis ad.

Christmas song or not a Christmas song?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,120 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Batgurl wrote: »

‘Somewhere only we know’ - the Lily Allen version of the Keane song, used in the John Lewis ad.

For me it'll always be a Keane song. Nonetheless thats a good question, many songs with no association with Christmas have been hijacked as such through videos or their use in adverts, the power of love by FGTH being a prime example, both its video & a cover of it were used to associate it with Christmas. East 17's stay another days is about the singers brother commiting suicide, yet stick in a few bells & some snow in the video & bam, christmas tune...

For me, Somewhere only we know is not a christmas tune, but its all relative, so if others enjoy it as such, fair play to them.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

Yeah, not a Christmas tune for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Not wanting to come between a mother and child:D but its not in my opinion a Christmas song but certainly Winter themed and guaranteed to pull on the heart strings as do all John Lewis Christmas ads:). Then again I have some songs on my Christmas Playlist which many would not consider Christmas Songs so each to their own:D:D

Theres a new thread, songs with no association with or mention of christmas, but which can be associated with Christmas.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

DvB wrote: »
    Theres a new thread, songs with no association with or mention of christmas, but which can be associated with Christmas.

Spice Girls song Two Become One was the Christmas number 1 in 1996 and is always played on the Christmas music channels but it's not one bit Christmassy as a song imo.

• Advertisement

Spice Girls song Two Become One was the Christmas number 1 in 1996 and is always played on the Christmas music channels but it's not one bit Christmassy as a song imo.

yeah, theres plenty of christmas No's 1's that have been treated like that on the various music channels. Saw the flying pickets 'only you' on regularly last year which had zero connection (IIRC) to christmas other than being a christmas No.1 or to flip that thought, does being christmas No.1 lift you into the very bracket of being a christmas song?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Or does simply being in a Christmas ad?

For me the song ‘Here comes the girls’ will always be associated with Christmas because of the Boots Christmas party ad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

yeah, theres plenty of christmas No's 1's that have been treated like that on the various music channels. Saw the flying pickets 'only you' on regularly last year which had zero connection (IIRC) to christmas other than being a christmas No.1 or to flip that thought, does being christmas No.1 lift you into the very bracket of being a christmas song?
    Oh for me Only You is def a Christmas song, because of The Office finale which was set at a Christmas Party.
    I prefer Yazoo's version though !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Good idea! :pac:

New thread started for song that are not Christmas songs but remind you of Chrismas.

So absolutely E17 - Stay Another Day is not a Christmas song but it is always played at Christmas due to it being a Christmas number 1.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

otnomart wrote: »
    Oh for me Only You is def a Christmas song, because of The Office finale which was set at a Christmas Party.
    I prefer Yazoo's version though !

Oh good choice, that song always reminds me on that scene and Christmas Special, auld Dawn and Tim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Loughc wrote: »
    So absolutely E17 - Stay Another Day is not a Christmas song but it is always played at Christmas due to it being a Christmas number 1.

This song came straight into my mind as soon as I saw the thread title!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭pigtail33

For me, the original Keane song doesn't remind me of Christmas, but if I hear the Lily Allen version, then it does as I associate that one with the John Lewis Ad. Actually most of the songs used in the John Lewis ad make me thing of the specific ad they were in and therefore Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Kate Winslet's What If is a Christmas song for me although the lyrics don't have anything to do with it. So is Tori Amos' Winter Carol.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Frankie Goes to Hollywood's The Power of Love is not a Christmas song but has a winter video and is always classed as one because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭toffeeshel

Louis Armstrong- wonderful world. Was it used on a Christmas ad? It always reminds me of Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Not sure if this counts but I can’t hear Wet Wet Wet’s song ‘Love is all Around’ without singing the wrong (Billy Mack) lyrics :D

That and ‘Lemon Tree’ by Fools Garden.

“I wonder how, I wonder why, Santa and his reindeer are able to fly...”

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wake me up before you go go by Wham
    Rule the world by Tears for fears

Think it just the general 80s party vibe of those tunes. Lots of others too

pigtail33 wrote: »
    For me, the original Keane song doesn't remind me of Christmas, but if I hear the Lily Allen version, then it does as I associate that one with the John Lewis Ad. Actually most of the songs used in the John Lewis ad make me thing of the specific ad they were in and therefore Christmas

I have both versions on my spotify list and when the Lily Allen version comes on I wouldn't think of Christmas but when the song is on telly with the video showing how they made the brilliant John Lewis ad then it does turn into a Christmas song:)

One I never got was the frog chorus by Paul McCartney, not a Christmas song at all (unless I've missed something) but saw it played regularly the last few years on the TV christmas music channels.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Wake me up before you go go by Wham
    Rule the world by Tears for fears

Think it just the general 80s party vibe of those tunes. Lots of others too

Christmas songs or not. Two absolute bangers!

• Advertisement

One I never got was the frog chorus by Paul McCartney, not a Christmas song at all (unless I've missed something) but saw it played regularly the last few years on the TV christmas music channels.

It was used in a Christmas ad i think. Hence the link.

Loughc wrote: »
    It was used in a Christmas ad i think. Hence the link.

Correct.

https://www.tvadmusic.co.uk/2014/11/debenhams-found-it-christmas-2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It's amazing how, if you hear songs enough times around a certain time of year then it becomes synonymous with it for you.
    I still don't think 2Become1 and Stay Now are Xmas songs though weirdly Power of Love always makes it feel like it should be Xmas.

Little Mix - Love Me Like You sounds like a Xmas song due to similar bells and I think they actually released an Xmas version with more bells too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WpoKRnoPRU&ab_channel=littlemixVEVO

• Registered Users Posts: 30,184 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I did work experience in a supermarket just before Christmas and it wasn’t something I enjoyed every evening when it was about going home time 2 become 1 used play. I loved it at the time.

Even though neither of the songs have the word Christmas in them, I think. I would consider Let It Snow a Christmas song but wouldn't consider Baby It's Cold Outside a Christmas song even though most do.

I think the Coldplay song Viva La Vida songs a bit Christmassy because it has bells playing on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Smack my bitch up - The Prodigy

Party and excess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

I was not expecting that one. For me its Baker Street. Too long and adult story to tell here.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,184 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Leon Jackson ‘’When you believe’’(Winner if the X-factor)
    I remember I went to Limerick Christmas shopping on about the 22nd/23rd of December just when the schools close for Christmas holidays.
    There was such an atmosphere around the place.
    I was in The Crescent and I queue up for over half an hour to buy DVD’s and bought the single from a stand at the till in HMV/Virgin Mega Store.
    Remember those days The X-Factor was popular, DVD’s/CD’s were selling, massive queues of people on top of one another with out masks inside in shops and shopping centers were really busy.

Smack my bitch up - The Prodigy

Party and excess

great song, never associated it with christmas myself though. But appreciate the sentiment!

• Advertisement

Leon Jackson ‘’When you believe’’(Winner if the X-factor)
    I remember I went to Limerick Christmas shopping on about the 22nd/23rd of December just when the schools close for Christmas holidays.
    There was such an atmosphere around the place.
    I was in The Crescent and I queue up for over half an hour to buy DVD’s and bought the single from a stand at the till in HMV/Virgin Mega Store.
    Remember those days The X-Factor was popular, DVD’s/CD’s were selling, massive queues of people on top of one another with out masks inside in shops and shopping centers were really busy.

Hated the fact for a few years the christmas No.1 was practically reserved for the x-factor winner though. Funnily enough other than rage against the machine getting it as a protest vote kind of thing I cant remember any of them since before x-factor, (Mad world, the last one that springs to mind) though that may be an age thing more than anything else.

*edit*
    went back & checked the list of christmas no.1's & actually remember a couple (since x-factor started), clean bandit & Ed Sheeran, the rest I had no idea of... shame, I remember growing up and the christmas TOTP being a real big deal to see wjho got the coveted No.1 spot... now its always had its novelty ones, but it just seems so less a big deal now... I blame x-factor for that.

Advertisement