Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Devil All the Time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭p to the e

Looks interesting. Has a real John Hillcoat feel to it which is always good. I thought the director's previous film "Christine" was fantastic. Nice to see Holland flexing those acting muscles.

As an aside, I'm sure it's been talked about before but for a film about rural America there's very few Americans in it. That will be the next trendy #Hashtag movement in my opinion.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Yeah, I saw the trailer for this yesterday and it looks pretty good, I'm looking forward to its release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I thought the book was fantastic. Very dark and disturbing 'Rural Noir'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,737 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's at the point now where if I hear Robert Pattinson is in a film, my attention is grabbed immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭Heckler

Looks very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Here for Bill Skarsgard. Cast looks something else think I spotted a slightly rounder Sebastian Stan in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Really looking forward to seeing it this weekend, the book is god damn amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 19,793 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Watched it last night. Enjoyed it, kept me entertained throughout, a good 8/10

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Watched this last night and it was really good, with strong performances across the board (Pattinson clearly had fun with his Southern accent) and a very Fargo-like tone and mood throughout. Must have a read of the book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Enjoyable , one of the better Netflix films.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭Heckler

Liked it a lot. Got a The Road, The Proposition feeling from it. Unsettling. The score was good especially in the first half hour. Hollands got chops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Well, this movie really came out of left field. Strange but very interesting. The serial killers portrayal was very cold and maybe realistic. It reminded me of the serial killers in a history of violence.

I enjoyed the movie. Some decent acting on show from Spider-Man and Batman and IT. Longish movie but imo it didn’t drag.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Watched this on Saturday night and really enjoyed it. Big fan of Pattinson and Holland and both were great but Bill Skarsgard really stole it for me. He was fantastic. Almost felt like a Place Beyond The Pines in a sense that the first half is different to the second. Very bleak movie though. Still have one particular scene engraved into my mind. 7.5/8 out of 10 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

Really solid movie, fairly dark and bleak, but incredibly engaging and reliably has you on the edge of your seat.

I would generally be fairly indifferent to Tom Holland but he's really good in this - the cast is generally excellent, no weak links here.

It's really one hell of a journey from start to finish and although it's fairly long at 2hr 20m, it doesn't outstay its welcome at all.

There's a ton of love in the attention to audio-visual detail as well, so for me it's an easy 9/10, one of those rare "must watch" movies.

Haven't read the book but certainly an interesting movie.

The "American Gothic" vibe was executed well.

Some grim fooking lives being lived out through the characters.

Tom Holland was very good. Pattinson has only a small part really, notwithstanding the Netflix marketing.

Worth a watch.

7.4/10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I watched an hour and a quarter of it. Got distracted from it by something else that I needed to do. I was going to come back to it the following night to watch the remaining hour.
    I don’t know what it is. But I just couldn’t do it. I watched 5 minutes and it was so slow. Obviously watching a film in 2 halves is not ideal. It can lose its impetus. But this was exceptional. I know the first hour is slow moving, but you kinda get a sense that something will happen. There’s a slight feeling of dread – like someone is going to carry out a hateful massacre on the townfolk.
    Going back to it again just wasn’t appealing. Maybe it’s my loss, and maybe I’ll be in more “liberal” mood tonight to finish it off.
    Does it pick up pace to come to some decent conclusion? Its not that I’m looking for car chases or shootouts. Just something a little bit of drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

Still have one particular scene engraved into my mind.
    If it involved a screwdriver, then likewise :(

Watched it last night and otherwise happy to add my nod to a great watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,456 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Really enjoyed this ,
    One of the better movies iv watched this year,
    As some have already said very unsettling and you really get the feel that life can be tough and cruel .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It is well made and I half - enjoyed it, but found some plot disassociation after a while. It was difficult to empathise or familiarise with any of the characters and all in all I found it quite a bleak film, albeit a very well made one. Good costume and it seemed authentic, I don't think it was an all time great either.

I doubt I would try the book either, it is a bleak story.

• Advertisement

Ya. Agree. At times it was kinda gripping to see where it was going to go. But in the end, it kinda went nowhere. Looking back on it, what exactly was it trying to deliver. "Bleak lives" has been thrown around several times. religion? Crosses? It seems it was made to be a deep, thinking man's film. But in the end, for me anyway, it's a whole lot of nothing. There's a whiff of The emperors new clothes" about it.

Ya. Agree. At times it was kinda gripping to see where it was going to go. But in the end, it kinda went nowhere. Looking back on it, what exactly was it trying to deliver. "Bleak lives" has been thrown around several times. religion? Crosses? It seems it was made to be a deep, thinking man's film. But in the end, for me anyway, it's a whole lot of nothing. There's a whiff of The emperors new clothes" about it.

There was too much destitution and possibly one too many suicides? I liked the serial killer sub plot, but too much violence for me to believe the story for real.

Like a chocolate cake that is made with too much sugar, it was hard to swallow.

Not every movie has to be tied up in a neat little bow and an open ending can be more powerful by virtue of the fact that it's open to interpretation.

So yes this is called being artistic to an extent. If you're someone who likes paint-by-numbers then this movie is not going to appeal to you greatly.

So at the end one is left wondering - is this a new start for Arvin or is he fated to inherit the trauma of his relations (big theme of the film that misery was passed on from one generation to the next) - has he finally escaped his past or has he been picked up by another violent driver!?

glasso wrote: »
    Not every movie has to be tied up in a neat little bow and an open ending can be more powerful by virtue of the fact that it's open to interpretation.

So yes this is called being artistic to an extent. If you're someone who likes paint-by-numbers then this movie is not going to appeal to you greatly.

So at the end one is left wondering - is this a new start for Arvin or is he fated to inherit the trauma of his relations (big theme of the film that misery was passed on from one generation to the next) - has he finally escaped his past or has he been picked up by another violent driver!?

I didn't think it was all that artistic either?

There is nothing wrong with disliking art either ( even if there wasn't much to admire).

TBH I will frankly forget about Arvin's plight, if he has any sense he will try to keep away from churches, crosses and couples offering him a lift.

It wasn't that good.

glasso wrote: »

Oh I know the point at the end. dreaming about potential war etc. But I didn't really have any empathy as to what his plight was going to be. There were many wrongdoings going on in the film, many killings, Arvins were portrayed as "need-be" killings - kill or get killed. But I didn't feel any drama at the end, No feelings like "God, I hope he gets away with it, and gets out of that hole of a place". It just plodded along.

Don't get me wrong. I like a good drama over The Fast & the Furious. Films like 3 Billboards, No Country for Old Men, I really enjoyed. I just didn't feel any emotions during this film. No that I hated it, or liked it. It was just like - get to the end, and then just flat.

I like open-ended films to a certain extent - if they are leaving you wondering something interesting. But The Devil all the TIme didn't leave me wondering anything interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

Sometimes though you have to think of these films as windows into the madness of the real world. People like these exist, things like this happened, and still happen to this day.

You don't always have to root for someone, or even like anyone, to necessarily enjoy a film.

I forget the name of it, but that Michael Fassbender film with Brendan Gleeson, where they play Travellers - thoroughly unlikable people living an unimaginable existence, but I found it fascinating just as a brief insight into the lives of others....but I did see a lot of comments that basically amounted to "What was the point of this movie?"

Amongst other things, I think one of the intentions of this film (and the novel) is to try and present a counterpoint to the mythologised version of mid-20th-century USA wherein Everything Was Great And Life Was Basically Like Grease Or The Past Bits Of BTTF. Life for some folks in some places was grim, tough and unforgiving (and the same is true now), and the point of the film is to look at a variety of different individuals and how they cope with, and respond to, the world they're living in. I expect that the notion of the environment, specifically the town and community of Knockemstiff, is intended to be viewed as a character as well as the backdrop for the stories unfolding.

Doesn't mean that'll work for everyone, of course, but I think this is part of the reason it worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Despite religious faith and morality being strong elements in this, one has to wonder why the Devil is never mentioned in the film, despite its title. Considering the tagline is "Everyone ends up in the same damn place", it seems to mix moral contextualism with the question of fate, while mocking religious convictions. Much like The Place Beyond the Pines, generational life cycles are accompanied by cycles of violence, leaving us with the open-ended finale concerning nature vs nurture and choice vs fate, and certainty/uncertainty. "The Waltons"esque narration (by the author of the book on which the film was based) is at odds with the constant violence and dread, making it an uncomfortable but gripping watch.

Advertisement