Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Getting foreigners to play GAA

• 15-09-2020 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got any experience of getting non Irish nationals to play GAA?
    In my town there are Polish and Brazilians. These don't even play soccer so would anyone have ideas on how to inticise them to play?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

thesultan wrote: »
    Has anyone got any experience of getting non Irish nationals to play GAA?
    In my town there are Polish and Brazilians. These don't even play soccer so would anyone have ideas on how to inticise them to play?

My post seems to have been deleted by the mod I can only presume ????

Even though I kept things general with no specifics.

DM me thesultan and I can give you some details on our clubs experience.

Best wishes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Very few of the Eastern European kids in this village play GAA, but there are some exceptions.

I can imagine that getting involved in a indigenous sport is difficult, especially when there are other sports that they might be otherwise familiar with like soccer and basketball to participate in.

In our club we circulate flyers to the schools at the beginning of each year informing the kids that training is restarting.
    The flyer is in English, Polish and Lithuanian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

I've experience of non-nationals playing GAA all right, but not actually of getting them to play.

Can't help thinking though that if these lads in your area aren't sporty enough to sign up to play a sport they're familiar with, like soccer, then it's going to be tough if not impossible to get them to start a sport they've no experience of at all.

But good luck with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭thesultan

Obviously there families haven't a connection to it but it's trying to find a connection.

It's very difficult.
    I train an underage team in Dublin, and out of the 30 kids, we have only 1 who comes from a non Irish family.
    Having said that, we also have a couple of COI schools in the area, and don't have 1 kid from them either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Saw a minor football match where the centre back and wing forward were Nigerian heritage but born in Ireland . Both of them were big strong lads and very good players. The centre back in particular was a unit and really stood out. Great player

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

We had a few people move into the area from Galway. They seemed to acclimatise ok after about 3 generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Maybe they need encouragement like quotas on teams and maybe getting a few points head start or something. Or not having to use your hands?

We need to get rid of our Gaelic privileges :-)

Saw a minor football match where the centre back and wing forward were Nigerian heritage but born in Ireland . Both of them were big strong lads and very good players. The centre back in particular was a unit and really stood out. Great player
    The Africans seem to be the best to embrace the GAA.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Maybe they need encouragement like quotas on teams and maybe getting a few points head start or something. Or not having to use your hands?

We need to get rid of our Gaelic privileges :-)

A free club top maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

thesultan wrote: »
    A free club top maybe

Or maybe a promise of meeting some ladies footballers or camogie players?? :D

Advertisement