Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whiskysite.nl

• 13-09-2020 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering if anyone on this boatd has had experience using whiskysite.nl? I’m looking to get a BenRiach and maybe a Compass Box Artists Blend, and they have a good price there.

If so, how was the transaction and did you have to pay any further duty on the bottles?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 omegaodie

A: TRAITOR SCUM!!!!
    B: Looks very reasonable
    C: No Tariffs or import duty within the E.U

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

omegaodie wrote: »
    A: TRAITOR SCUM!!!!
    B: Looks very reasonable

Hey, if it’s good enough for Bono....

Thanks for info.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

omegaodie wrote: »

However, there is excise duty.

And a normal consumer does not have the licence required to pay excise duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭oleras

Tried 2 bottles in the cart and was €35 shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 omegaodie

"Emily's company sells wine in Ireland which is dispatched from France. The French company produce the wine and keep it in an authorised warehouse until they ship it to Ireland under what is known as duty-suspension. This means the French company doesn't need to pay the excise duty in their country. When Emily's company receives the shipment the wine is released for consumption, and therefore the duty-suspension is lifted. Emily's company must then pay the excise duty based on the rate in Ireland."
    https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/taxation/excise-duties-eu/paying-excise-duties/index_en.htm

So i guess it's on the shop, if they've paid excise already in Holland then none applies but I think as a consumer you shouldn't need to pay anything????? f-ing taxes man, every way you turn they're putting their hand in your pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They have to pay Irish excise. And they won't have.

Every single site people buy from here gets caught in the end

Revenue may offer to let you pay but don't have to. And they won't do it twice

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think VAT as well as excise.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/value-added-tax/part03-taxable-transactions-goods-ica-services/Goods/goods-alcohol.pdf
    6. Distance Sales to private individuals
    Distance sales of alcohol products from another Member State (or from a third
    country imported through another Member State) to a private individual are always
    subject to VAT and excise in the Member State of destination.
    The supplier is required to be registered for VAT in Ireland for all such supplies to
    private individuals in the State and arrange for payment of VAT under the normal
    rules.

Loads does seem to slip through which leads to rumours of it being allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

Yeah, prompted by the above (thx for info) i did a bit more research on citizensinformation.ie and revenue.ie and i think excise and vat is due for online purchase in EU, so i’m gonna try local.

I had thought it might be exempt buying within EU because the custom regulations for travel into Ireland are more lenient (see below). But buying online is treated totally different.

“Goods bought in another EU country
    You will not be charged any extra duty or VAT on purchases where the duty and VAT has been paid (for example, goods bought in shops and supermarkets) in another EU country, provided the goods are for your personal use.
    If your purchases are within the limits set out below, they will usually be regarded as being for your personal use.” 10litres for spirits.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Yep, alcohol from another EU state has to be brought into the country on your person to avoid having to pay Irish excise duty and VAT. And it has to be for personal consumption.

Advertisement