Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Entire Cabinet to self-isolate as Dáil adjourned

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

They needed a break, bless

• Registered Users Posts: 16,685 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Donnelly had been spouting an awful lot of sh1te since he got the job. Wonder was he also spouting the virus at the cabinet meeting.

I'm going full conspiracy theory on this and saying they are after pulling the duvet over their heads and hoping everybody will have forgotten these new 5 Level system by the time they can be accountable in the media again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

The circus continues. Let's try not to jump to conclusions until we hear whether or not Donnelly has tested positive, but keep in mind if the Dail is self-isolating, they have all probably been in pretty close contact with him for the last few days/weeks. Recall the UK and the Iranian governments getting wiped out by this at the beginning of the first wave, the Iranian government mores. Of course, our government isn't as old as an Islamic theocracy, but with the after-effects of COVID-19 we are all hearing about, if this sweeps through the cabinet, we might lose government members for weeks and when they have recovered (assuming they do recover), they still might not be fit enough for the job. This is a worst-case scenario but it could occur quite quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Donnelly should be sacked for ignoring the advice he expects everyone else to follow. Bunch of Muppets.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

Horrible for Donnelly. Hope he's alright. I wouldn't wish this virus on anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Interesting they are social distancing in a conference centre and everyone is considered a close contact so they close it down. I am closer than 60cm from the kids I teach for 40 minutes in an 8 foot wide room and have been told as SET I don't count as a close contact, that I should continue working.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

khalessi wrote: »
    Interesting they are social distancing in a conference centre and everyone is considered a close contact so they close it down. I am closer than 60cm from the kids I teach for 40 minutes and have been told as SET I don't count as a close contact, that I should continue working.

The Dail can't function without the Government present, it's pretty straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,416 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

How exactly can Stephan Donnelly continue as minister for health if he tests positive for coronavirus when he’s been going on about the precautions and what not to do if you feel unwell and yet it seems he’s potentially not just the cabinet but their families at risk. I mean this incident doesn’t help the narrative of it being one rule for them and one for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    How exactly can Stephan Donnelly continue as minister for health if he tests positive for coronavirus when he’s been going on about the precautions and what not to do if you feel unwell and yet it seems he’s potentially not just the cabinet but their families at risk. I mean this incident doesn’t help the narrative of it being one rule for them and one for everyone else.

Well, it said he started feeling ill during the press conference so I don’t think he felt unwell beforehand....If that was the case then he obviously shouldn’t have attended the press conference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Donnelly should be sacked for ignoring the advice he expects everyone else to follow. Bunch of Muppets.

****e Show, a shambles, get FF out

I doubt any on covid pay while out

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PixieValentine

What's mad is for months the last government were actively trying to prevent this very scenario by meeting in groups of two, never all at once, so they WOULDN'T all be taken out at once. Leo and Simon C were almost never in the same room from mid March until sometime in June so they were giving themselves every chance of the two never being taken out at the same time, and so the Tanaiste would be able to take over from the Taoiseach if he got sick or had to self-isolate. They KNEW this could be a possibility!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Itssoeasy wrote: »

So you think he should be sacked simply because he caught a highly contagious virus?

I'm no fan of him, but it's not like he did it deliberately. No one who got CV19 did it deliberately.

You'd be a harsh boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Amirani wrote: »
    The Dail can't function without the Government present, it's pretty straightforward.

Really!! Well who'd a thunk it? Theyre kinda ****ing it up as it is

Ppoint being if they cant manage it in a huge conference centre, how do they expect schools to do it. Should had a planB

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    ****e Show, a shambles, get FF out

I doubt any on covid pay while out

It's a tri party government.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Horrible for Donnelly. Hope he's alright. I wouldn't wish this virus on anyone

You really should understand that it’s not likely to affect him much more than a cold.
    Despite his often mocked appearance he appears to be a young and healthy.

NIMAN wrote: »
    So you think he should be sacked simply because he caught a highly contagious virus?

I'm no fan of him, but it's not like he did it deliberately. No one who got CV19 did it deliberately.

You'd be a harsh boss.

No he should not be sacked for catching the virus ( if he has) he however should be sacked for failing to adhere to health advice his government are instructing the public to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

What advice did he ignore

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

Just when we need a fully operational government with the country facing into a virus and Brexit crisis also.

You can only laugh tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

khalessi wrote: »
    Interesting they are social distancing in a conference centre and everyone is considered a close contact so they close it down.
    But are they socially distancing in closed cabinet meetings and adhering to the other guidelines there ? The speed at which they've shut up shop suggests otherwise. Nothwithstanding, I take your point about conditions on schools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No he should not be sacked for catching the virus ( if he has) he however should be sacked for failing to adhere to health advice his government are instructing the public to follow.

Following government advice is not 100% guaranteed to stop you getting the virus.

You don't know whether he followed public health advice or not. You basically don't have a clue.

What advice did he ignore

A cough is viewed as a symptom,

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/symptoms.html

Sardonicat wrote: »
    But are they socially distancing in closed cabinet meetings and adhering to the other guidelines there ? The speed at which they've shut up shop suggests otherwise. Nothwithstanding, I take your point about conditions on schools.

If you are indoor with somebody for over 15 minutes who developed Covid you are considered a close contact and have to self isolate til you get results of a test.

Well that's how it was during Phase 3. I'm not sure how it works when Dublin is in Level 2.5 and operating during a Yellow sun warning, an Orange wind warning and a red rainfall warning.

Dail going to resume tonight, junior ministers going to step in for Cabinet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Were they not working in two separate teams to try and avoid full closure? Like most organization

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Another fine mess from Stephen calamity Donnelly

You don't know whether he followed public health advice or not. You basically don't have a clue.

He was on the radio earlier today coughing, a symptom as outlined by the HSE and you are requested to isolate and arrange a test .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Happy4all wrote: »
    Were they not working in two separate teams to try and avoid full closure? Like most organization

Too much like common sense

• Advertisement

Dail going to resume tonight, junior ministers going to step in for Cabinet.

Like making the Junior B team play an All Ireland final.

Than again the senior team are fcukin useless too.

Advertisement