Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Picking up in stroke competitions

• 14-09-2020 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭

Why don't more people do this? If I'm playing stroke and have a score where I'm basically guaranteed .1 back, I'll happily pick up to keep things moving. I'll do my best to hole out of course, but I certainly won't be going back to the tee to try to salvage a triple bogey in the hope of returning a +15 net score for the day. But a glance at some of the poorer scores on a stroke play day will show that plenty of people insist on holing out for 9s and 10s at the end of the round when they'd need a couple of minus 9 or 10s for a respectable score.

Furthermore, it's bad enough spending an age looking for a ball when it doesn't matter whether or not you find it, but now they're breaking the rules even more (2 minutes more) looking for balls when they're already gone. And we all know the reality is that they'll spend more than the 3 minutes looking, then call the group behind through while they continue looking. Probably a total search time of 10 or 12 minutes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,003 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

blue note wrote: »
    Why don't more people do this? If I'm playing stroke and have a score where I'm basically guaranteed .1 back, I'll happily pick up to keep things moving. I'll do my best to hole out of course, but I certainly won't be going back to the tee to try to salvage a triple bogey in the hope of returning a +15 net score for the day. But a glance at some of the poorer scores on a stroke play day will show that plenty of people insist on holing out for 9s and 10s at the end of the round when they'd need a couple of minus 9 or 10s for a respectable score.

Furthermore, it's bad enough spending an age looking for a ball when it doesn't matter whether or not you find it, but now they're breaking the rules even more (2 minutes more) looking for balls when they're already gone. And we all know the reality is that they'll spend more than the 3 minutes looking, then call the group behind through while they continue looking. Probably a total search time of 10 or 12 minutes.

Well really that's an NR, you avoid this by playing provos...

We always offer a stableford option in our comps, for those who are likely to need/want to pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

The rule on strokeplay is very clear:

Rule 3.3 (Strokeplay) C (Failure to hole out)

3.3.c Failure to Hole Out

A player must hole out at each hole in a round. If the player fails to hole out at any hole:
      The player must correct that mistake before making a stroke to begin another hole or, for the final hole of the round, before returning the scorecard.
      If the mistake is not corrected in that time, the player is disqualified.

See Rules 21.1, 21.2 and 21.3 (Rules for other forms of stroke play (Stableford, Maximum Score and Par/Bogey) where scoring is different and a player is not disqualified if he or she does not hole out).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

I understand it counts as a NR (or DQ). But what difference does that make? You're gone from the comp in terms of being anyway near the prizes, haven't a hope of avoiding getting a .1 back, so what difference does it make whether you return a NR instead of a +15 net? Is it really worth holing out for a 10 while everyone begins you waits for you to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,092 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I understand it counts as a NR (or DQ). But what difference does that make? You're gone from the comp in terms of being anyway near the prizes, haven't a hope of avoiding getting a .1 back, so what difference does it make whether you return a NR instead of a +15 net? Is it really worth holing out for a 10 while everyone begins you waits for you to do so?

Would CSS not be affected if everyone who felt they were outside of the prizes/buffer non-returned?

Stroke comps are slower, but I've never really seen any ridiculously slow behaviour myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Do a 2 still pick up part of the 2's pot even if you're DQ'd?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Any stroke comp I was inlvolved in had stableford scoring aswell for HC purposes. A pick up would DQ you and stop a potential cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Any stroke comp I was inlvolved in had stableford scoring aswell for HC purposes. A pick up would DQ you and stop a potential cut.

I don't really get the purpose of stableford scoring having any part of a stroke comp. Can you please elaborate on this ?

Your HC will be adjusted anyways based on your round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Club I play in sometimes doesn't include NR's if there is a lot of them so you would get nothing if you picked up.

how bad are the people you play with that this seems to be a problem? Or is it just an observation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Macker1 wrote: »
    I don't really get the purpose of stableford scoring having any part of a stroke comp. Can you please elaborate on this ?

Your HC will be adjusted anyways based on your round.

It means you can get a cut scoring 92 off 16 if you had a 10 on a par4.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It's not really stableford scoring though. As dan_ep82 has outlined above, it's actually a stableford adjustment for hole scores above net double bogey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Am I correct in thinking you are referring to Clause 19 in the handicap rules from Congu:

Scores returned in Stroke Play Qualifying Competitions, whether or not all 18 holes have been completed, must be adjusted to the Nett Differential that would have applied if the competition had been a Stableford Qualifying Competition. No points shall be recorded on a hole where there is no score.
    This adjustment is for handicap purposes only and, notwithstanding the provisions of sub- Clause 23.2, reductions of less than one stroke shall be made under this clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,003 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

It fecks up the scoring for everyone else (CSS) and your club will get a talking to from the GUI if you have a large number of NR and/or repeat offenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Do all clubs not have a maximum score in stroke competitions. Its +5 in our place which is valid for handicap purposes. Not that i have ever had to use it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Do all clubs not have a maximum score in stroke competitions. Its +5 in our place which is valid for handicap purposes. Not that i have ever had to use it :P
    Max strokes is not true strokeplay. It doesn't include any handicap adjustment where SSS doesn't equal par.

Advertisement