Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Pro12 Season 2020-2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

First time since moving to the RDS that Leinster have had their first game of the season at home

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Dragons and Benetton for Leinster before a potential Heineken Cup final.

Allow me to put on my tinfoil hat.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,734 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Allow me to put in my tinfoil hat.

not the worst teams in the league

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Leinster could be playing Munster and Ulster in those opening games. The guys featuring are going to be second string for the most part regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,987 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Buer wrote: »
    Leinster could be playing Munster and Ulster in those opening games. The guys featuring are going to be second string for the most part regardless.

https://twitter.com/patmccarry/status/1305484039978201089?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Guinness PRO14 early fixtures (provisional draft)

Weekend of October 3

Connacht v Glasgow Warriors

Zebre v Cardiff Blues

Scarlets v Munster

Leinster v Dragons

Ulster v Benetton

Edinburgh v Ospreys

Weekend of October 10

Cardiff Blues v Connacht

Benetton v Leinster

Munster v Edinburgh

Dragons v Zebre

Glasgow Warriors v Scarlets

Ospreys v Ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

That would be 4th season out 5 that Connacht start at home to Glasgow

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

So who do we think will win the 20/21 Pro14?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Kinda of annoying that Leinster could lose a game before completing an unbeaten season.

First world problems and all...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭bilston

awec wrote: »
    So who do we think will win the 20/21 Pro14?

Is it just a 12 team league?

It should be exciting to see if anyone gets within 15 points of Leinster...

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »

Oh the Pro12, my bad, it's hard to keep track. I for one cannot wait to see what happens in the latest chapter in the story that is the ProWhatever.

Expect the unexpected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

bilston wrote: »

In a single match or on the final league table?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Oh the Pro12, my bad, it's hard to keep track. I for one cannot wait to see what happens in the latest chapter in the story that is the ProWhatever.

Expect the unexpected.

Ulster, ProWhatever Runners Up 19/20

Has a great ring to it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Read the tweet again and relax. Those are next season's fixtures ;)

Zzippy wrote: »
    Read the tweet again and relax. Those are next season's fixtures ;)

It's next month. Leinster play 2 games of next season's Pro12 before they play this season's HEC final.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's next month. Leinster play 2 games of next season's Pro12 before they play this season's HEC final.
    They kind of have to win two other matches before the get to play in the final.....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,742 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

They kind of have to win two other matches before the get to play in the final.....

Whatever about Saracens, but the SF would be against either Clermont or Racing. Hardly a cake walk. Then prob Toulouse or Exeter in the final should we get that far. Tough run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

Wonder when they will trial small crowds in Ireland. That is decided purely in terms of government restrictions I take it?

Expect the unexpected.

I meant is it just one league...or are there two conferences?

I'm not that much of a pendant awec!

theboss80 wrote: »
    Wonder when they will trial small crowds in Ireland. That is decided purely in terms of government restrictions I take it?

While in my non scientific, non expert experience I'd argue having grounds 10% full could be done safely with social distance comfortably adhered to, and spectators given arrival timeslots...the reality is that things are moving in the wrong direction at the moment...we are more likely to see tighter restrictions than relaxed restrictions in the coming weeks and months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

theboss80 wrote: »

Not sure if the extra logistics of getting everything in place for having 200 fans attend a game is worth it for the IRFU and the stadiums.

Would be nice to see them do something similar to what Formula 1 did though with small numbers of front line workers allowed in as a gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,987 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Not sure if the extra logistics of getting everything in place for having 200 fans attend a game is worth it for the IRFU and the stadiums.

Would be nice to see them do something similar to what Formula 1 did though with small numbers of front line workers allowed in as a gesture.

5000 at Aviva is fine. It's the getting to and from that's an issue. There is practically zero car parking on a grand scale nearby that I can think of that makes it viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

What are the chances of Leinster and Munster being in the same conference? If there are conferences, that is.

Probably more likely to be Leinster and Connacht together.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,249 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    5000 at Aviva is fine. It's the getting to and from that's an issue. There is practically zero car parking on a grand scale nearby that I can think of that makes it viable.

There will be lots of issues with small crowds being spread out in the ground too, lots of staff to cover the largely empty stadium as lots of sections will be open. With people spread out lots of the amenities will have to be open and therefore attended by staff and cleaned. Then socially distant access and egress will take extra staffing over what that size crowd would normally take. It may not make much business sense to let small crowds in if they need to open up and staff too much of the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

I really hope they allow the Irish teams to move back to their home stadiums.
    I appreciate the need to use the Aviva for the restart as a short term measure, but I think it makes a difference for teams to be able to play in their actual home stadiums rather then the Aviva, even if it only is a minor mental advantage or the logistical one

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Whoosh. The tweet said Pro 12 21/22, it was a mistake. I know it's next month ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Kevski

Do we know if there will still be two conferences or if it will revert back to the previous PRO12 format?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Kevski wrote: »
    Do we know if there will still be two conferences or if it will revert back to the previous PRO12 format?

I assume it will be a straight 22 games with the old league format. Two conferences of six feels rather bare.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I assume it will be a straight 22 games with the old league format. Two conferences of six feels rather bare.
    Not necessarily. They might want to reduce the number of games for this season. The conferences would bring it down to 18 games. I would prefer the old format though.

• Advertisement

200 fans allowed back into sporting events in Ireland.

I can't see how that is economically viable at all for the provinces, but I suppose if they can prove they can do that safely then maybe the numbers will start to rise a bit in a months time or so.

Advertisement