Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beakerjoe vs The Walrus - THE REVEAL!

• 14-09-2020 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome folks.......IT IS TIME!
    giphy.gif

Categories

1. New School is Cool - I am looking for songs released in the last 5 years. Any song from 2015 to 2020 is eligible.

2. Visual Treats - I am looking for songs that you believe were made better by their awesome music video. So give me a song that you believe was improved upon by its accompanied video.

3. Money Money Money - Here I want a song with some form of money or word related to money in the title.

4. Boys 4 Now! - Songs by boy bands are 100 percent a (not so) guilty pleasure of mine. So give me your best song by a boyband. But be careful, I dont like ALL boybands.

5. Upgrade - So here I want a cover, in which your opinion improves on the original. So any covers are eligible here, but beware ..... make a choice that you think is better than the real thing.

6. Animal Instincts - Here I want a song which contains the name of an animal in its title, not a band .... (bye bye Def Leopard), so once your songs title contains an animal, you're quid's in.

7. Riff Raff - I love a song with a killer guitar riff, so once your song has what you believe to be an awesome riff, hit me up!

8. Best Song Ever - Simply give me a song that you rate really really really highly. Go!

AND our contestants....
    1. Rikand
    2. Necro
    3. Reberetta
    4. Electric Nitwit
    5. Arghus
    6. JohnGreenfan
    7. PhatKev
    8. Kolido
    9. Osh
    10. Mustang Shelly
    11. Sawduck
    12. Fixxxer
    13. Gru
    14. Also Starring LeVar Burton
    15. Irish Aris
    16. The purple tin
    17. JP Liz V1
    18. S1ippy
    19. ShaneU

Kick off in less than 1 hour!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I can't even remember half of my selections

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Ooh exciting a mid day reveal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Necro wrote: »

Wont have time later, so here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

They say you never forget your first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Necro wrote: »
    Some people might actually be sober for this one :pac:

• Advertisement

Some people might actually be sober for this one :pac:

its 5pm somewhere, amirite (drink responsibly)

First category is coming up now.....

NEW SCHOOL IS COOL!

SONGS FROM 2015 TO PRESENT ARE ELIGIBLE.......

A wide scope in the round, anything goes once its was released in the last 5 years. Plenty of varied genres and some really good choices.....

But Number 10 with 10 points

DNCE - Cake by the Ocean, submitted by
    Rikand

Have I listened to this artist before? Yes
    Have I listened to this song before? Yes

If you've listened to Today FM anytime over the last 5 years you have certainly heard this track.

I like the intro and the yes it may be manufactured pop song, but it’s very catchy, funky, it gets the head bopping and it’s putting me in a good mood. The lyrics are garbage, but it’s not stopping me from enjoying the track. Mindless fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

I'm so ready to ditch work and tune into this!

11th Place with 9 Points

I like Trains - tHE trUTH -
    Electric Nitwit

Have I listened to this artist before? No
    Have I listened to this song before? No

I like the beat, very smooth. The lyrics aren't inspiring me as much when they begin and how they are delivered isn’t filling me with joy either but I do like the music, the subtle guitar, the beat, it works. As we reach the half way point the tempo rises and the song is less hindered by the voice of the vocalist IMO. Really liked the finished too. A good musical piece which grows over time and in the right situation, the track can work. Better than I thought after further listens.

Also vibes of that Heavyweight champion of the World track by Reverend and the Makers.

9th position with 11 points

The Mysterines - Take Control, submitted by
    Osh

A fine track, plenty to like here. I enjoy the melody, the lead singer's voice is quite nice. It’s a catchy tune, feels like it wouldn't go amiss in the OC soundtrack. Its nothing fantastic on first listen, but it’s a nice track that grows on you over time, especially the last segment of the song. A fine submission and a song that will be on my playlist going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

beakerjoe wrote: »
    11th Place with 9 Points

I like Trains - tHE trUTH -
    Electric Nitwit

Ah well, it was a bit of a gamble. I'm obsessed with their new album at the moment so when you asked for new, I had to. I love that song but get how it might not work for everyone. Sounds like you liked it well enough and it's growing on you though, next week you can come back and retrospectively award me the win ;)

Ah well, it was a bit of a gamble. I'm obsessed with their new album at the moment so when you asked for new, I had to. I love that song but get how it might not work for everyone. Sounds like you liked it well enough and it's growing on you though, next week you can come back and retrospectively give me the win ;)

Again a fine piece, I can visualise it more in a movie set piece more than I would listen to it.

12th spot with 8 points is...

The Twillight Sad - Im not here (missing face), submitted by
    Irish Aris

The intro begins like the Killers Track, “The Man”, but instead of being more swagger like the Las Vegas guys, this song goes for a more dark. It's like in wrestling when a guy turns heel/bad.... this song would be their evil tune.

Getting a Morrisey vibe for the vocalist and the track gets better as it goes IMO.

After a few listens I don’t have the urge to listen to it again, but that said it’s a grand track. Nothing horrible about it and I don’t hate it. It’s just not doing anything to pull me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,811 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Did that last song send you to sleep? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

ShaneU wrote: »
    Did that last song send you to sleep? :D

I was thinking earlier that perhaps I had accidentally hit unfollow when it went about an hour without any new notification.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Close it up now and we’ll see who’s won

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A wide scope in the round, anything goes once its was released in the last 5 years. Plenty of varied genres and some really good choices.....

But Number 10 with 10 points

DNCE - Cake by the Ocean, submitted by Rikand

If you've listened to Today FM anytime over the last 5 years you have certainly heard this track.

I like the intro and the yes it may be manufactured pop song, but it’s very catchy, funky, it gets the head bopping and it’s putting me in a good mood. The lyrics are garbage, but it’s not stopping me from enjoying the track. Mindless fun.

That song is very catchy, Joe Jonas other band

Sorry guys, real life got in the way. Will resume shortly and will try finish round 1 tonight....

In 8th spot with 12 points,

Break The Silence - True Tides , submitted by
    Gru

Never heard of them so here we go. Opening is very 80’s retro, and the beat is very nostalgic, which is a plus for me. It’s a fine track, dare I say I am getting a Billy Joel feel from it in a way. It definitely wouldn't go amiss closing the credits of a John Hughes movie. It’s nothing spectacular mind you, but it’s an above average track which reminds me of my youth. I really do like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Sorry guys, real life got in the way. Will resume shortly and will try finish round 1 tonight....

Was getting worried we'd been..... /TRIGGERED/

• Advertisement

gaining 7 points, 13th spot is held by..

Let’s eat Grandma - Deep Six Textbook , submitted by
    Arghus

An unexpected intro, the organ really gives it an ambient feel and relaxes me, like a mindfulness podcast intro. I like the vocals (not sure about the lyrics), which I find haunting, in a positive way. An interesting musical piece. While I feel it is initially ambient, it's a little more sinister (for lack of a better word, maybe dark) sounding as I repeatedly listen. A good piece, not one for my playlist but I enjoy it as a piece. Its very haunting, I can imagine dark scenes if this was to be used in a movie or TV show.

fixXxer wrote: »
    Was getting worried we'd been..... /TRIGGERED/

Nope, I shall start so I shall finish.

gaining 7 points, 13th spot is held by..

Let’s eat Grandma - Deep Six Textbook , submitted by
    Arghus

An unexpected intro, the organ really gives it an ambient feel and relaxes me, like a mindfulness podcast intro. I like the vocals (not sure about the lyrics), which I find haunting, in a positive way. An interesting musical piece. While I feel it is initially ambient, it's a little more sinister (for lack of a better word, maybe dark) sounding as I repeatedly listen. A good piece, not one for my playlist but I enjoy it as a piece. Its very haunting, I can imagine dark scenes if this was to be used in a movie or TV show.

A fair review beaker. I can appreciate maybe it's a piece of music not to everyone's taste but I can remember being blown away by it when I heard it first. I'd never heard anything quite like it before.

Arghus wrote: »
    A fair review beaker. I can appreciate maybe it's a piece of music not to everyone's taste but I can remember being blown away by it when I heard it first. I'd never heard anything quite like it before.
    Geat song, that video freaked me out quite a bit too.

In 7th spot...... swimming in 13 points is,

All We Are - Bad advice, submitted by
    the purple tin

I like this song, grabs me from the get go and is fresh to my ears. I like the subtle guitar riff and the vocalists, especially as it gets to the chorus. Again, it is a bit short, in terms of Im just liking it and it’s over. An easy going track with enough “ooohmph” to perk me up on repeated listens. Nothing amazing mind you, but a fine song which I quite enjoy.

ALSO I AM LOVING THE EXPOSURE TO NEW MUSIC IN THIS ROUND.

Its not something I would listen to when driving or exercise or even commuting. But that said, it has a place in life IMO and its a pleasurable piece. I cant knock it.

Geat song, that video freaked me out quite a bit too.

I'd never seen the video before. Sometimes when a song evokes feelings and images in my head I don't want to see it any other way.

I'd never seen the video before. Sometimes when a song evokes feelings and images in my head I don't want to see it any other way.

I agree. I feel the real video can never compare to what I perceived it to look like.

Whoever directed it I see a great future for them in psychological horror films ;)

• Advertisement

In at 14th spot, picking up 6 points....

Paramore - Hard Times, submitted by
    Also Starring Le Var Burton

Have I listened to this artist before? Yes

I am familiar with Paramore, a very hit and miss band but when they hit, they hit. This is more in the middle for me. It doesnt quite land but I dont dislike it either.

Immediately this intro sounds like the beginning of an advert for a new mobile phone company. But it soon kicks in to be a bit more than that, thank god. Hailey’s vocals are
    good and the song starts to grow on me a little.

The chorus is fine, nothing grabbing me here, but the verses make up for it a little.

A nice track that grew on me more as I listened but overall its more acceptable than mind blowing. A nice track but nothing more.

Advertisement