Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Memories of Murder

• 27-09-2007 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭

I saw this film last night.
    A great film and then ending is really poignant and clever!
    When the former detective is looking at the camera in the final scene it's as if he finally realises the notions he had about himself as a detective were a delusion.
    Also, it's as if he's looking at the 'real murderer' who is sitting in a theater with perhaps a smile on his face (because this film is based on his 'perfect crime') that's why the detective's face looks so disconsolate and frustrated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

It's an absolutely fantastic film that I just cannot recommend enough. Glad you enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Can you recommend any other Korean films or any films in general that left a lasting impression on you? Thanks in advance.

Yes I can. If you click the link in my sig, there's a "Films I recommend seeing" section, with links.

You might also want to check out The Host, which is from the same director as Memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Would spoiler tags be needed here?

Added spoiler tags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Karl made me get this one, absolutely fantastic film, been a while since I seen it though so can't remember many of the details, must stick it on again one of these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Seen this last night in the cinema for the first time and delighted my first viewing was at the cinema. I think it's gotten a re release everywhere. Great stuff all round, go see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

ahhh Karl Hungus, formally Angelwhore. Wonder where he went ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah, glad it came out. Miles better than Parasite. Must check out Mother at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I saw this today, I absolutely loved it.
    It's a strange mix of tones but that worked for me.

Interesting
    that the real life case this is based on they have dna evidence and the person who it matches is already in prison...but he will never be convicted due to the statue of limitations!

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    Yeah, glad it came out. Miles better than Parasite. Must check out Mother at some point.
    Mother is fantastic imo.
    It's so tight and focused really excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 12,353 ✭✭✭✭siblers

It's brilliant, got it years ago on DVD, must watch it again. On first viewing I did enjoy it more than Parasite but would need to watch again to truly compare.

There's a few Korean films I need to watch again, Infernal Affairs, A Bitsweet Life, I Saw The Devil..

siblers wrote: »
    It's brilliant, got it years ago on DVD, must watch it again. On first viewings, did enjoy it more than Parasite but would need to watch again to truly compare.

There's a few Korean films I need to watch again, Infernal Affairs, A Bitsweet Life, I Saw The Devil..
    You definitely won't regret it.
    The wailing is also excellent if you haven't seen it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

gmisk wrote: »
    Mother is fantastic imo.
    It's so tight and focused really excellent

I need to check out some of these Korean movies. Getting great traction. Haven't seen any of them.

You nearly put me off there though. When you mentioned Mother, I thought you were talking about the awful dirge which is the Jennifer Lawrence movie. But just saw there's another movie by the same name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

FYI, MoM is currently getting the Criterion treatment and will be released in the not so distant future.

I need to check out some of these Korean movies. Getting great traction. Haven't seen any of them.

You nearly put me off there though. When you mentioned Mother, I thought you were talking about the awful dirge which is the Jennifer Lawrence movie. But just saw there's another movie by the same name.
    Ha ha no a totally different film.

There is a massive back catalogue of excellent south korean stuff your in for a treat!
    I would also recommend
    The chaser (if your into thrillers)
    The vengeance trilogy
    Tale of two sisters (if you like horror)
    The host (excellent monster movie by Bong Joon-Ho same director as memories of murder, parasite and mother)
    Train to busan (terrific zombie movie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭p to the e

gmisk wrote: »
    Ha ha no a totally different film.

There is a massive back catalogue of excellent south korean stuff your in for a treat!
    I would also recommend
    The chaser (if your into thrillers)
    The vengeance trilogy
    Tale of two sisters (if you like horror)
    The host (excellent monster movie by Bong Joon-Ho same director as memories of murder, parasite and mother)
    Train to busan (terrific zombie movie)

"The Yellow Sea" is another great thriller from the same director of "The Chaser" and "The Wailing".

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

Went to see this at the weekend and really enjoyed it. Excellent film.

Like a Korean version of Seven, but with lots of humour instead of grisly descriptions of gore.

Advertisement