Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Irish far-Right

• 12-09-2020 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

There was a very large anti-Mask protest in Dublin today, people from all walks and different agendas, the Yellow Vests, Irish National Party, Irish Freedom Party, anti EU types, Siol na hEireann and various pro-life and Gemma O'Doherty fans etc.

This is not something we have seen in Ireland so much before and it seems to be gathering momentum, with protests outside RTE and thejournal.ie offices also.

It seems this type of rightwing populism is gathering alot of supporters, alot of people are fedup and deluded from my own speaking to them. People are tired of political correctness, mass-immigration, big tech censorship of conservative voices and differing viewpoints. Alot of Sinn Fein voters appear to have defected over to the far right as SF was seen as patriotic and anti-EU before but now are very much a pro-European Union entity. There seems to be alot of Loyalists from Northern Ireland involved in the far right also as they would be natural bedfellows.

I think myself that the current situation will only perpetuate the far right as censorship, woke culture, blm etc and general name calling will convert more and more moderates and centrists to their cause, and that is before we even think of the effects the farages, Trump and brexiteers have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

theguzman wrote: »
    There was a very large anti-Mask protest in Dublin today, people from all walks and different agendas, the Yellow Vests, Irish National Party, Irish Freedom Party, anti EU types, Siol na hEireann and various pro-life and Gemma O'Doherty fans etc.

This is not something we have seen in Ireland so much before and it seems to be gathering momentum, with protests outside RTE and thejournal.ie offices also.

It seems this type of rightwing populism is gathering alot of supporters, alot of people are fedup and deluded from my own speaking to them. People are tired of political correctness, mass-immigration, big tech censorship of conservative voices and differing viewpoints. Alot of Sinn Fein voters appear to have defected over to the far right as SF was seen as patriotic and anti-EU before but now are very much a pro-European Union entity. There seems to be alot of Loyalists from Northern Ireland involved in the far right also as they would be natural bedfellows.

I think myself that the current situation will only perpetuate the far right as censorship, woke culture, blm etc and general name calling will convert more and more moderates and centrists to their cause, and that is before we even think of the effects the farages, Trump and brexiteers have.

Being anti mask isn't far right

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It could be argued that anti mask is libertarian - upholding liberty as the core principle - not far right anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

It could be argued that anti mask is libertarian - upholding liberty as the core principle - not far right anyway

Reports on social media were that thousands of fascists and neo-nazi's marched in Dublin today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Sure weren’t the pro BLM protesters ignoring social distancing guidelines at the height of the lockdown? Plenty without masks etc. Pro BLM supporters would probably not be ‘far right’. (Whatever far right means.)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Give it 50 years OP

Then you will have a far right movement in Ireland.

Immigration has only been around since about 1997 so it's still relatively new in comparison to other western countries who have had ethnic minorities for decades, if not centuries.

It's still a novelty here, so as a result the far right are still not fully established.

• Advertisement

Reports on social media were that thousands of fascists and neo-nazi's marched in Dublin today.

I think we all know that was bullsh1t.

Well the reports were completely wrong so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Terminology is often sbnject to change, none more so than in the area of Politics. Far-Exterme-Alt etc right seems mostly be terms conjured to whip up a chimericial phantoms so as to provide a handy target and as a collective noun for anyone who disagrees with the Guardian's letter page. To paraphrase George Orwell, the word Fascism/far-right has now no meaning except in so far as it signifies "something not desirable".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

I think that it is a collection of " The Lunatic Fringe". Anywhere you get anti anything Gemma and Ben will show up and try and suck up some limelight,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,010 ✭✭✭✭looksee

People are tired of political correctness, mass-immigration, big tech censorship of conservative voices and differing viewpoints. Alot of Sinn Fein voters appear to have defected over to the far right as SF was seen as patriotic and anti-EU before but now are very much a pro-European Union entity. There seems to be alot of Loyalists from Northern Ireland involved in the far right also as they would be natural bedfellows.

What does any of this have to do with wearing masks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This thread is just going to be a gathering place isn't it?

The big tech media companies are the biggest enablers of "non mainstream" opinion by the way.

The loons used to publish A5 booklets now they have the world at thier fingertips.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,709 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A hodge podge collection of mask contrarians, a number of whom may be right, far right, or whatever they're having themselves. I suppose it gets them out of the house, bless their cotton socks.
    A leaderless, rudderless mob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

This thread is just going to be a gathering place isn't it?

The big tech media companies are the biggest enablers of "non mainstream" opinion by the way.

The loons used to publish A5 booklets now they have the world at thier fingertips.

The internet and 'information' age has some major disadvantages.

One upon a time loons would be known as the village idiot or some other localised nonsense. But now we have the internet, it's a great enabler to allow them all to link up.

No doubt tho, things are moving right a bit, and will continue to do so for a while. While everyone is busy arguing the toss over everything we will continue to loose out. Then something will change, people will get fed up, more virus or war or some sh!t and then the tide will turn again. Just the way it goes, but this time we get to write sh!t on the internet to pass the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I feel for the guards having to put up with that nonsense.

https://twitter.com/vmax_14/status/1304800740859432961

Not sure what is going on but She seems very erratic and borderline hysteric in that video

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭dubrov

Opinions are definitely more polarised these days.

Even worse is the trend of labelling anyone who doesn't have a view aligned to your own as looney left / far right or just outright shaming them with little effort to debate the view

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Ireland doesn't have a far right. We have centre-right, Left, Far left, Looney left, the There's-no-such-thing-as-too-far-left Left.

Often leads to the gone-too-far-left Left - sometimes referred to as the far right. ( stalin, hitler )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

dubrov wrote: »
    Opinions are definitely more polarised these days.

Even worse is the trend of labelling anyone who doesn't have a view aligned to your own as looney left / far right or just outright shaming them with little effort to debate the view

This, all day.

And I can't see it changing any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Not sure what is going on but She seems very erratic and borderline hysteric in that video

Yeah the woman's "hysteria" wasn't my take away from that video I must say.

This place is worse than Stormfront (or so I’m told).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Manach wrote: »
    Terminology is often sbnject to change, none more so than in the area of Politics. Far-Exterme-Alt etc right seems mostly be terms conjured to whip up a chimericial phantoms so as to provide a handy target and as a collective noun for anyone who disagrees with the Guardian's letter page. To paraphrase George Orwell, the word Fascism/far-right has now no meaning except in so far as it signifies "something not desirable".

I think the whole Right-Left spectrum as a concept needs to be ditched as a relic of simpler times. It's too one dimensional and only serves to polarise people.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

No, but the far-right are trying their best to recruit from the antimask protests. Thankfully, the Irish far-right is a cult led by the likes of Justin Barrett and Niall McConnell, which pretty much ensures its marginality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Ever think the reason is because the "far right" have views which are common sense which mainstream politicians have lost or didn't have in the first place. Covid has brought this to the forefront.

Think about support for the "far right" is support for:
    Controlled immigration
    Life free of riddiculous restrictions
    Overpaid RTE presenters out of jobs
    An end to the nanny state
    Law and order
    Deportations for those scamming the system

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

The liberty of who?
    The liberty of the people that have died before their time?
    The liberty of the people like me that have severe lung issues after catching this ' conspiracy: ?
    Wear a mask and domt be a prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

GT89 wrote: »
    Ever think the reason is because the "far right" have views which are common sense which mainstream politicians have lost or didn't have in the first place. Covid has brought this to the forefront.

Controlled immigration
    Law and order

So you want controlled immigration and a life free of restrictions?

Explain that to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

GT89 wrote: »

Controlled immigration
    Law and order

Not to mention the assassination of Catholic bishops.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Far right is just a smear term used by those used by supporters of international finance capitalism. Being anti immigration for example is actully a left wing viewpoint as immigration is known to drive down working conditions and create a race to the bottom.

The people who call people "far right", "racist" and "nazis" all claim to stand with the oppressed whilst drinking overpriced Starbucks Coffee and videoing their persuits on the latest iphone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,555 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Poorside wrote: »
    So you want controlled immigration and a life free of restrictions?

Explain that to me.

You'll find libertarians to be the most contrary people of them all.

Want everything free from shackles. A world where commerce rules the roost and everyone is master of their own destiny. Except obviously when the road outside their house has potholes in it. Or the grass on the verge on the motorway needs cutting, or the local school hasn't enough teachers per class size for their kids, or there isn't enough beds in the hospital so they've to wait in line. Then ask those things should be provided to them of course.

Libertarians are a spot on the arse of humanity

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement